Glad I found this site!

Superu

Explorer
I've been working on kitting out my 05 Outback for the past 6 months as time permits. Fortunately, my wife is very tolerant of my indulgences as the UPS truck shows up at least once or twice a week.

My goal is to be able to use the OBW to take the family camping, hiking and for weekend runs on primitive roads.

%3Cuntitled%3E%2012.jpg

%3Cuntitled%3E%203.jpg

So far, I've added
  • 215/65/16 Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts
  • 1" lift springs from King Springs in AU
  • 3/16" aluminum front skidplate from Primitive Racing
  • Surco Safari Rack with spare tire and axe & shovel carriers.
  • Hannibal dual NATO jerry can holder
  • Scepter NATO fuel and potable water jerry cans
  • 2 Lightforce Stryker 170's and a single Lightforce 240 XGT
  • Hella FF300 fogs
  • 120 psi on-board air compressor with 1/2 gal tank and 18" / 15.5" air horns
  • Black rat hand winch
  • Hi-Lift jack with weatherproof locking case, sand base and tire hooks
  • Spare shackles, gloves and misc. recovery related items.
  • Samson 30'x1" poly dipped snatch rope
  • Cobra 40 channel WX 25 ST with weather alert
  • Nicro Solar powered deck vent
  • Engel MT-45 Fridge/Freezer
  • Hidden hitch
  • Go-Light 55W H3 rear spot 370 deg swivel / 135 deg tilt w/wireless remote

P6102780.JPG

IMG00120.jpg

IMG00126.jpg

IMG00155.jpg

There's more camping and hiking related but that's the core for the car. I have a 2" aluminum lift kit being made as I type by Dave Blandford at hirisesubaru in AU and a Safari Snorkel for a Toyota Prado 120 series on the way to the 4X4 center in VT for fitment.

Am interested in the center diff switch mod that someone had mentioned in another post. Also planning to add a toggle switch to shut off the fans for water crossing.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Scott Brady

Founder
Great looking Subaru and a fun project. On the 2" springs, how much down travel does that leave you? On a short travel AWD, I would try to keep extension travel around 50mm.

I like the Guinness in the fridge. :)

Superu

Explorer
Thanks.

The King Springs are actually just 1" lift so down travel isn't impacted too much. The 2" lift will be a full body lift kit with strut top spacers. We'll also have to do a bit of exhaust work to snug it up close once the lift kit is in.

Superu

Explorer
Jackguard

This was my solace after a last chucka defeat of Team USA by Scotland at last week's polo match. I was only spectating, but it was still tough to see the team lose such a close one.

IMG00135.jpg

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Your OBW is evoking some serious envy out of my Forester!

That's one great looking wagon!!

Here's mine for reference:

Tint6.jpg

My ultimate goals are similar to yours, though I started with more ground clearance then you, so I'm not adding a lift just yet. next steps are to paint the wheels black and add a slightly taller, knobbier tire...if I can find a cheap basket I'll mount the spare up top, if not, supposedly a full size will fit under the cargo area, just without the cargo divider...

Keep us updated on the progress!

Superu

Explorer
Thanks

That Forester looks sweet. A lot of guys on subaruoutback.org have been going with the Rola cargo basket. The price seems pretty good though I believe it's steel rather than aluminum like the Surco. I have the spare on the roof instead of cramming it in the well so I have space free to relocate the battery and add a second with an isolator for the fridge/freezer and other accessories.

The scoop on the front is covering a vent louver from West Marine that I put in to help draft hot air out of the engine compartment since the lights up front block off a bit of airflow. It works better than I expected!

%3Cuntitled%3E%205.jpg

What does the Forester have for clearance out of the box? My OBW started out with 8.4" factory which was a step up from the previous model. The closer I get to 12" of clearance the happier I get! Really need a winch bumper for the front and a nice custom piece for the back to better my approach and departure angles. :wings:

Is that your Impreza behind the Forester?

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Turns out it's about the same stock height...I was thinking the number for my '98 OB, which was more like 6.X"...nice...

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Cool Subaru. :jumping: What is the silver round thing in the center-front of the roof? Also, what is a deck vent?

Superu

Explorer
The silver round thing is the deck vent!

It's a solar powered fan with a Nimh battery backup that is primarily used to circulate cabin air on a boat.

It works very well at keeping the interior temps down in the summer by actively venting hot air from the car with no power drain.

Dave

Explorer
Superu said:
It's a solar powered fan with a Nimh battery backup that is primarily used to circulate cabin air on a boat.

Very nice! Got any up close pictures of the fan? I've been looking into something like this for my camper shell. How does it keep water from coming in when it rains?

Superu

Explorer
Fan pics

Vent on top
600_SolarVent6.JPG

Hole in roof
600_SolarVent3.JPG

More of hole in roof
600_SolarVent2.JPG

Fan installed with green water guard closed
600_SolarVent.JPG

Fan installed with guard open
600_SolarVent8.JPG

There's an on/off switch above the blade. Two sets of blades with opposite pitch included to draw in or vent out and a clear plastic grill comes with it as well although the grill will restrict airflow by 15-20%.

It's completely watertight when installed properly with marine grade silicone and the vent closed. Even with the vent open you'd be unlikely to get water in because of the way it's designed. I've had it in torrential rainstorms and even took it through a car wash twice to verify water-tightness! :)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Great looking Subaru!!! How did you mount the LightForce's? With a unibar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan