Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

The best foam glue I've found is styro-goo. And you can cut it with a hot-wire... I watched at least half a dozen of those foam adhesive shootouts before I found it.

Wish I'd known about it for my last build, but I'll use it on the next one.

-edit: never mind, this is the right video--it's the foam fusion ;)

Last edited:

Mules

I'm looking at all that real estate I have on the roof.

IMG_9225.JPG

Has anyone used just 3M double sided tape to tape a flexible solar panel on?

Two Questions:

Will it hold?
Will the black solar panel burn my paint?

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 6.47.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-31 at 7.13.39 AM.png

Last edited:

ITTOG

There have been plenty of builds on here that just used VHB or an adhesive to attach flexible panels. Apparently it works. There have even been builds with rigid panels that glued the mounts onto the roof before installing the rigid panels.

Mules

For anyone building an Overland Camper, Rec Pro just started advertising some nice Gull Wing Windows. These are nice for truck builds, where you want to reach in the camper. They also have a large selection of other inexpensive camper windows.

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 8.38.43 AM.png

FAW3

Adventurer
A most creative and wonderful build.

The subsequent posts of ideas, gear and trips are quite the bonus also.

Happy travels!

86scotty

Cynic
Hey @Mules, just catching up. On flexible solar, do yourself a favor and put down a sheet of adhesive backed vinyl first. Flexible solar is not perfect. The panels degrade over time. I've already had this happen to my expensive Cascadia Vehicle Systems hood panel ($600). Luckily they replaced it, and also luckily they provide a vinyl sheet to go under it. Once you put VHB on something it's there. I'd hate to see you have your beautiful roof ruined if that panel gives out in a year.

On those windows, I badly want to try some for a van build but I'm paranoid about how easy they scratch. I definitely 'desert pinstripe' my rigs regularly. It would break my heart to have a big scratch across a new window.

Mules

10,000 mile Review!

I just realized that I've been driving around with my camper now for 10,000 miles since I put it on 13 1/2 months ago. That's about 6,000 miles of daily driving to work and around town. The other 4,000 miles were on weekend adventures and camping in the Badlands / Rockies.

So far she's handling it all great. Only a few scratches on the paint from occasional tree branches. A few cracks on the pop up top through the fiberglass, which is my fault. The cracks are along the fiberglass seams where I didn't layup fiberglass cloth over a seam. These seams only had bondo in them (stupid mistake on my part). At least they don't leak water.

She squeaks a bit while driving, mostly from the furniture and the fact that there is no wall between the camper interior and the cab, so I can hear things clanging around in the back.

She's had a fair bit of 4 wheeling, but nothing I couldn't get out of without my winch. The winch has come in handy pulling trees out of the trails and a couple stuck 2 wheel drives.

The camper has definitely been a conversation starter. Almost weekly someone will want to know what this contraption is.

I love it!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 6.45.56 AM

Last edited:

Mules

Hey @Mules, just catching up. On flexible solar, do yourself a favor and put down a sheet of adhesive backed vinyl first. Flexible solar is not perfect. The panels degrade over time. I've already had this happen to my expensive Cascadia Vehicle Systems hood panel ($600). Luckily they replaced it, and also luckily they provide a vinyl sheet to go under it. Once you put VHB on something it's there. I'd hate to see you have your beautiful roof ruined if that panel gives out in a year.

On those windows, I badly want to try some for a van build but I'm paranoid about how easy they scratch. I definitely 'desert pinstripe' my rigs regularly. It would break my heart to have a big scratch across a new window.
That's a good point, I'll have to pull up the VHB tape to replace the panels in the future. A peal and still vinyl sounds like a good way to protect the surface of the camper.

I've never used vinyl exterior decals or wraps. It this the stuff I would need?

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 7.45.29 AM.png

dstefan

If you’re going to stick VHB to vinyl, you probably should use the LSE VHB (low surface, energy) version. Vinyl and other plastics have plasticizers embedded that leak out over time and weaken the bond pretty significantly.

You can also use regular VHB on plastics and rubber by using a flame on the surface to prep it. This boils off the plasticizers somehow. I’ve use this technique successfully with regular VHB, even using UHMW, which is slicker than snot on door knob.

@86scotty is so right about removing the VHB. I found on some surfaces I can slowly roll VHB off after I’ve pried off (if possible) whatever piece was stuck on with it. But not practical for large surfaces. Also, the citrus based Goo-Be-Gone type of solvent will soften and allow you to scrape VHB off cleanly … eventually but it’s a real job.

86scotty

Cynic
That's a good point, I'll have to pull up the VHB tape to replace the panels in the future. A peal and still vinyl sounds like a good way to protect the surface of the camper.

I've never used vinyl exterior decals or wraps. It this the stuff I would need?

View attachment 798932

I'm not sure but it sure looks like a good option. Call someone that does wraps and ask em?

Mules

Nitto Ridge Grappler - 25,000 mile review

Alright, I'm been driving 4x4s and sport cars my entire life. I've used Michelin road tires, Goodyear mud tires, Pirelli race tires, and just about everything in between. I used to be a purist and buy the best race and mud tires. Only problem is that both of those use very soft rubber, which tend to wear out quickly. The reality is that today, my vehicles are daily drivers and for fun. If I had a dedicated race car or a dedicated rock crawler, this would be a different conversation.

For those of you like me, 90% daily driver/ 10% fun, I think the Nitto Ridge Grappler is perfect. I mounted these right after picking up my truck at the dealership. It's hard to believe that they have 25,000 miles. I'm guessing there is about 1/8" wear since new. At this point I don't see why these wouldn't last 50,000 to 70,000 miles

These tires are great at 4 wheeling and highway driving with no road noise. I'll be buying these again, next time around.

Only two negatives are that they are expensive and that they pick up rocks like velcro. I usually pick out the gravel from the tread after driving on gravel roads. All in all, these are the best road/4 wheeling tires I've ever had.

One other item of note, is that I run them at 50 PSI, for mileage and to reduce side wear. I used to keep my mud tires aired up around 30psi or lower for 4 wheeling. After wearing them out at 20,000 miles, I switched to hybrid tires and higher pressures. I think it's funny that no one talks about running 4x4s at high air pressures. I'll probably get a lot of negative comments about doing this, but it works for me.

IMG_9296.JPGIMG_9299.JPGIMG_9298.JPG

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I do the same. I like big, heavy over the top camper vans and I run E rated tires on them which typically spec higher pressures. I run 55-60 on road with those for maximum fuel mileage and the moment I get offroad I drop to 20. I have a BIG *** air compressor to make this simpler. I think your habits make perfect sense.

For our Jeep (2021 JLU on KO3's) I run about 35 PSI onroad and also drop to 20 offroad. I also have OBA on that rig to make it simple.

I'm getting spoiled on smooth riding vehicles in my old(er) age so I really do drop my pressure even if I'm just going to be on gravel for awhile. It makes the ride SO much smoother. Doesn't change fuel mileage much either because you rarely do it for long enough to matter.

ITTOG

I run the exact same tire and have about 46,000 miles on them. I should get a little over 50,000 miles out of them. Other than when it rains, they run just like new. In the rain, they are quite a bit more slippery now. I also used them in the snow and they were great. I too will get the same tire when it is time to replace them. I tried mine at 45 and bumped down to 40, and then down to 35, which is where I settled. I just like the smoother ride.

Mules

I do the same. I like big, heavy over the top camper vans and I run E rated tires on them which typically spec higher pressures. I run 55-60 on road with those for maximum fuel mileage and the moment I get offroad I drop to 20. I have a BIG *** air compressor to make this simpler. I think your habits make perfect sense.

For our Jeep (2021 JLU on KO3's) I run about 35 PSI onroad and also drop to 20 offroad. I also have OBA on that rig to make it simple.

I'm getting spoiled on smooth riding vehicles in my old(er) age so I really do drop my pressure even if I'm just going to be on gravel for awhile. It makes the ride SO much smoother. Doesn't change fuel mileage much either because you rarely do it for long enough to matter.
Both of you have me on the smoother ride with lower pressure. I drove a 40 mile rocky mountain pass with my Gladiator set at 50psi. It just about rattled me to death! I need to installed that compressor:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78