Global Expedition Vehicles - UXV-500

OTR

Adventurer
PDF files now on the website. Includes what the standard and optional equipment is. As of now there is not any prices on the options. It looks as the "base" price is $209,000 which also includes $55,000 allowance for the truck. All in all you get a lot for the money. As I stated earlier I thought is was a little high because my own misunderstanding. So for $154,000 you get a fully equipped camper, wheels and tires (including spares I think), solar, etc... I would think that the generator would be standard and not an option, IMO. As of now I have about 2 years before my 12-15 month overseas trip, so this gives me plenty of time to pick a platform that is best for me.

As of now I still think the XP camper is the best bang for the buck. The less I spend on the truck = more time to travel:)

Last edited:

o0synge0o

Adventurer
I dig the new ford PSD, and am on the verge of picking up a new 350. While I don't foresee purchasing this UXV any time in the near future, I do like it!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
As far as the UXV-500, since it's customizable I would prefer a more traditional unicat-like interior:

4980755012_a37bca1c8c.jpg

The cab is entered under the bed, the table in the rear is probably elevated to allow a "cut" to improve angle of approach. The stove could slide aft and the door moved forward if necessary.

Yes, the more I think about it, an interior like that would be better for a big rig like this.

EMrider

Explorer
PDF files now on the website. Includes what the standard and optional equipment is. As of now there is not any prices on the options. It looks as the "base" price is $209,000 which also includes $55,000 allowance for the truck. All in all you get a lot for the money. As I stated earlier I thought is was a little high because my own misunderstanding. So for $154,000 you get a fully equipped camper, wheels and tires (including spares I think), solar, etc... I would think that the generator would be standard and not an option, IMO. As of now I have about 2 years before my 12-15 month overseas trip, so this gives me plenty of time to pick a platform that is best for me.

As of now I still think the XP camper is the best bang for the buck. The less I spend on the truck = more time to travel:)

The PDF files posted on the GXV website are very helpful, as is the interior layout. It looks as if standard configuration sleeps 4. That is good to know because I need room for 5 and I figure it wouldn't be too hard to add a bed in there somewhere.

IMHO, all custom expo vehicles are 'expensive' in absolute terms. But when you consider the quality and utility of the build, I think this new GXV vehicle is a good value.

I've got some PR to do on the homefront.......:wings:
R

mountainsoul

Adventurer
The F550 ready for the camper is closer to $100K.

Don,

What makes this particular F550 so expensive? I'm curious to know where the extra $50K goes to make it camper ready?

I was just quoted $48K for a new MY11 F550 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 DRW chassis with PSD.

mountainsoul

Adventurer
As far as the UXV-500, since it's customizable I would prefer a more traditional unicat-like interior:

4980755012_a37bca1c8c.jpg

I really like this layout too. If the rear dining/seating area could be configured in a U-shape, where the table could be removed to change between dining and lounging setups, and then could ultimately be turned into a double bed, it would be perfect for what I'm looking for.

dzzz

Don,

What makes this particular F550 so expensive? I'm curious to know where the extra $50K goes to make it camper ready?

I was just quoted $48K for a new MY11 F550 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 DRW chassis with PSD.

I was being pessimistic, but I still think with tax it's closer to $100K than $50K. When I looked at the F550, doing ER type wheels and suspension added $20 - $25. Figure in the overhead of a company buying the truck and doing the mods the base truck has got to be close to $100K for a business planning to cover overhead and make some profit.

I really like this layout too. If the rear dining/seating area could be configured in a U-shape, where the table could be removed to change between dining and lounging setups, and then could ultimately be turned into a double bed, it would be perfect for what I'm looking for.

It wouldn't be big enough on this size truck to make a "U". These things are always designed to be made into a bed. In this case a single bed. Probably a narrow single bed. On a longer wheelbase F500 it could be wider, but the off road ability decreases.

Last edited:

davidv

Observer
Not a stupid question. When I was out there I asked the same, and they said they get it all the time. I was told that they are working on a reverse of the current floor plan are waiting for someone to order it to finalize details.

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Excited to see more photos of the UXV-500 and the cost.

I just received a couple of "in process" / under construction photos of the interior of the new UXV-500 from Global Expedition Vehicles. They show that the build is still under construction, but it looks to be getting near completion.

1137082246_acUxR-XL.jpg

Upper bed area, one side of the Dinette (less table) and cab - cabin access.

1137082302_SLHuH-XL.jpg

Partial bathroom

1137082272_cdPLB-XL.jpg

Kitchen area (less sink, backsplash and some drawers.)

We visited GXV last June and had a chance to walk around in this camper unit when it was just a shell. It is enormous inside. The rear bath and closet area alone is huge. We also toured a couple of other rigs that they have built and were very impressed.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

chrismc

Adventurer
Wow, that PlyBoo cabinetry is beautiful. Its nice to see GXV using some sustainable/green building materials.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Andy a question for you....
how hard would it be to regularly access the cabin area from the truck?
Is it more of a tiny crawl through opening or something you could move back & forth between easily?

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Not having seen the cabin attached to the chassis and the actual cab-to-cabin access, I would only be speculating. But if you check the first photo...

1137082246_acUxR-XL.jpg

...it looks like you would not have a problem regularly going from the cab to the cabin. Mike said that they were going to be out of town between Christmas and New Years. When they get back, maybe we could get actual dimensions.

During our visit, and as a result of numerous conversations since, I am very impressed with the manner in which GXV thinks through their rigs. It seems like they are constantly looking to improve the product rather than just being content with what has worked before.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Not having seen the cabin attached to the chassis and the actual cab-to-cabin access, I would only be speculating. But if you check the first photo...

1137082246_acUxR-XL.jpg

...it looks like you would not have a problem regularly going from the cab to the cabin. Mike said that they were going to be out of town between Christmas and New Years. When they get back, maybe we could get actual dimensions.

During our visit, and as a result of numerous conversations since, I am very impressed with the manner in which GXV thinks through their rigs. It seems like they are constantly looking to improve the product rather than just being content with what has worked before.

Selling the SMB, "numerous" conversations with GVX. I think I see a pattern here. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan