Global Expedition Vehicles - UXV-500

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
:) Let's just say we are looking at options...

I hope you guys are well. Merry Christmas and I hope that you have a great new year!

trailsurfer

Explorer
:) Let's just say we are looking at options...

I hope you guys are well. Merry Christmas and I hope that you have a great new year!

Merry Christmas to you as well. Hope to see you at the Expo this Spring. Also, let me know if you want to come out to Durango and drive the LT. You are welcome to come out and put the LT through it's paces, if that is an option that you are considering.

Blackeye

We'll see on the OV Expo this April. We are literally "in between" rigs right now. It would be great to see everyone. Maybe we'll just tent camp?

Regarding the LT, congratulations first of all. Secondly, thank you for your generous offer.

We did consider another Sportsmobile, but with the high number of miles that we logged, 75,000 these past 2 years, we are looking at a chassis that will theoretically last 1,000,000 miles or so. Then after 500,000 miles, it will still have some life left in it. I guess one could make a Sportsmobile or a Ford F-550 go 500,000 miles, but I am not that person.

We have toured Global Expedition Vehicles facility in Nixa, MO a couple of times and looked at several of their builds. We are currently focusing on a rear bed, bath / shower forward with a side dinette floorplan. Mike and Rene' and their team are very creative and are always looking to improve their product.

More to follow as we set things in stone...

Happy New Year!

Blackeye

Ours will not be the UXV-550 model. We are looking at something along these lines...

1142834917_ERGfL-XL.jpg

1142835119_ynT2J-XL.jpg

The dimensions and details are subject to change.

Once I get things together, I'll start an new thread on our build and I would really appreciate your thoughts.

trailsurfer

Explorer
We'll see on the OV Expo this April. We are literally "in between" rigs right now. It would be great to see everyone. Maybe we'll just tent camp?

Regarding the LT, congratulations first of all. Secondly, thank you for your generous offer.

We did consider another Sportsmobile, but with the high number of miles that we logged, 75,000 these past 2 years, we are looking at a chassis that will theoretically last 1,000,000 miles or so. Then after 500,000 miles, it will still have some life left in it. I guess one could make a Sportsmobile or a Ford F-550 go 500,000 miles, but I am not that person.

We have toured Global Expedition Vehicles facility in Nixa, MO a couple of times and looked at several of their builds. We are currently focusing on a rear bed, bath / shower forward with a side dinette floorplan. Mike and Rene' and their team are very creative and are always looking to improve their product.

More to follow as we set things in stone...

Happy New Year!

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about the new rig and following the build progress here on the Portal.

I understand your thoughts on putting that many miles on a Chassis. While I have been putting about 20,000 miles on per year, my thought is to trade up to a newer, low mile, LT every 3-4 years. (if this is the right platform).

So far, one big trip to Baja, I think that this is the right rig for my needs. Inside shower and toilet, lots of water storage, great range with 90 gallons of fuel, comfortable sleeping arrangements, wonderful kitchen set up, tons of storage, and yet the off road capability to get to the places I want to go. And finally, the factory is here in Colorado, and that makes repairs and mod's much more convenient.

Happy New Years!

But I

my thought is to trade up to a newer, low mile, LT every 3-4 years. (if this is the right platform).

That could get a bit expensive, considering how much these things depreciate.
If I were to do that with my Unicat/Unimog (assuming you could get NA U500s any more!) it would cost me ~$40-50K/year in depreciation.
To say nothing of going through the 2-3 year "debugging" process of any complex new vehicle, and the 3 years it took me to accumulate tools and spare parts for extensive travel (RTW trip).

Charlie

trailsurfer

Explorer
If I were to do that with my Unicat/Unimog (assuming you could get NA U500s any more!) it would cost me ~$40-50K/year in depreciation.
To say nothing of going through the 2-3 year "debugging" process of any complex new vehicle, and the 3 years it took me to accumulate tools and spare parts for extensive travel (RTW trip).

Charlie

Actually not as bad as you might think. I bought a 2 year old LT with 4,000 miles on it. Previous owner took the big depreciation hit and as a result I believe it will cost me a lot less in depreciation over the next 3 years. I plan on buying a similar type LT every 2-3 years, 2-3 years old and low miles. Lots of them for sale every year in this range.

One of the principals of business sort of applies to buying and selling vehicles. You make or loose all your money when you buy, not when you sell. So you better buy it at the right price.

I am jealous of your Mog, do you ever bring it down to the lower 48?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

Charlie

Very good point about the "debugging"! No matter how well the vehicle was designed and build, there is always something that needs improvements.

How's your trip going?

Larry - KB0HIB

Charlie, do you have a website where you are posting photos and logs? I'd love to follow your journey. One of my dreams is to overland in Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior