GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

teddrover

Hi all. I have a 2003 GMC Savana 1500 AWD. I am wanting to install a lift/leveling kit and way back on page 1 of this forum it talks about using a Rough Country kit.

"Rough country leveling kit's for the 1999-2006 GM pickups fit these vans. EXCEPT the rear shocks. Adapters or other provisions need to be make to make the shocks included in this kit work."
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html

Of course when I talk to Rough Country I am being told they cannot help me as they have no kits for AWD Savana Vans. I get the sense they have to say this for liability reasons. Can anyone confirm that? Has anyone successfully used this particular kit on an AWD Savana? Thanks for the help.

Yes, that is the kit I used to lift my 2010.
Just throw away the rear shocks and buy some Bilstein's, everything else fits.

At this point the only thing left of that original kit on my van is the torsion bar key's. But it is a economical way to get your van lifted.

Do you have any thoughts on using shock extenders instead of new shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KONNMAN

I would like to do an engine swap on my 2003 Express. It currently has a 4.3lt and Id like to put a 5.3 or 6.0. Does anyone know what would be changed? Has anyone done this swap before?

Len.Barron

Observer
I would like to do an engine swap on my 2003 Express. It currently has a 4.3lt and Id like to put a 5.3 or 6.0. Does anyone know what would be changed? Has anyone done this swap before?
Unless you have a lot of money/mods already invested in this van it wouldn't be worth doing. There are a lot of nice 2003-2007 express/savanas on the market with v8's that are reasonably priced.

Last edited:

ben2go

Adventurer

If you really want to do this, roughly '05 6.0L cargo van engine and transmission would be the most powerful engine to chose and easiest swap. The van computer doesn't usually have all the extra crap programmed into it that a truck would have or a conversion van. The transmission can be converted to 4wd really easily check out youtube for the videos. When I was planning my swap on my car, I was looking at about $2500 all in. $800 for just the complete take out engine with trans from the junkyard and a van computer from another yard. You could do it for less maybe since you're going into a vehicle that had the LS as an option.

This site has a lot of info and knowledgeable people. They helped me even after I decided to ditch my project for the time being. https://ls1tech.com/forums/

Unless you have a lot of money/mods already invested in this van it wouldn't be worth doing. There are a lot of nice 2003-2007 express/savanas on the market with v8's that are reasonably priced.

I quite agree with you on this. If not to much other than bolt on's have been done, it would be easier and possibly cheaper to trade vans.

KONNMAN

I understand what both of you are saying but I prefer to keep this van and just do a swap, nothing is wrong with the van just the motor. Would I Have to take out the whole harness? How much do these engines run for roughly? I found 2 for around $2000. And you say a 05 would be the best one? Any reason? Thanks

Len.Barron

Observer
I understand what both of you are saying but I prefer to keep this van and just do a swap, nothing is wrong with the van just the motor. Would I Have to take out the whole harness? How much do these engines run for roughly? I found 2 for around $2000. And you say a 05 would be the best one? Any reason? Thanks
What do you plan to do with your van? Heavy towing or just some commuting/light cargo work?
If you want to tow then the 6.0/4l80e trans package would be the better pick, if not then the 5.3/4L60e would be fine (and less work/$$).
I would only buy a eng/trans package from an 03/04 express/savana to keep the wiring as close to what you have as possible, and be damn sure to get everything, wire harness, fuse box, throttle pedal, air conditioning hoses/lines, exhaust, cooling stack, drive shaft, etc...
It will be a lot more work than you think...seperating the body from the frame with a lift to do the swap would be the easiest..

ben2go

Adventurer
The 01+ 6.0L was rated at 345hp. Around 05, if I remember correctly, they got a bump up in power. I'm not sure how much. Pricing depends on where you live and the mileage of the engine. Around me, an engine 100-150k goes for around $700 to 850 as a complete take out. You will need the wiring specific to the V8 engine and transmission. I agree with Len.Barron on the engine trans combo and everything he states as being needed. It's a big job upgrading from V6 to V8. Luckily, everything should bolt in place of the V6. You may need V8 engine and transmission mounts to help keep the vibrations down and deal with the added torque. Most of the wiring can be sorted on the bench and then plugged into the van. The site I linked to above has all the specifics on the wiring or someone there can help find them.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I read here that Ford F150 Torsion Keys should work on my 2004 5.3 AWD express so I purchased a pair "1997-2003 Ford F150 4wd 1"-3" Adjustable Torsion keys Lift Kit"
I took it to my local garage and they tried but say they don't fit. Is may garage wrong, or did I pick up the wrong keys?

wjeeper

Stock f150 torsion keys give 2-3" of lift in an awd express. (It's what I run on my van) Lift torsion keys for a f150 would probably not work, they would be indexed so far you probably couldn't install them.

dleeallen

Adventurer
is 97-03 the right year range though for stock ones? I need to do a lift on mine soon and would love to have a lower cost option.

wjeeper

That would be the right year range. Mine came off an expedition but I know they're the same as the truck. I think the pair cost me maybe $15 at Pick-n-Pull..... So yeah they're pretty reasonable!

If memory serves me you can get almost 1 and a 1/2 in out of the factory keys that are in the express already. The more miles you have on your torsion bars the less they'll probably do.

I was running a little over 3 in on cranked torsion bars. I had to modify the droop stops on the upper control arms bracket and the ride quality definitely suffered as there was no down travel at all. With a few modifications I am running the same F-150 keys with just shy of 5 in of lift... But that required lowering the lower control arms and custom upper control arms. One of these days I'll have to update my build it's a stupid easy way to get 4 to 6 inches of lift and drastically increase the ride quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior