GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Bluenosepickers

Yes, and no. I paid a bit more than what the original owner paid. He got it through buddy and got it for dealers cost. There are other secondhand ones with 100 to 200 K for over 30. This one has a set of custom 18 inch rims 245–60–8 teams. Insulation bubble wrap, aluminum foil installed under the floor and in the roof and sides.

Scotty D

Yes, and no. I paid a bit more than what the original owner paid. He got it through buddy and got it for dealers cost. There are other secondhand ones with 100 to 200 K for over 30. This one has a set of custom 18 inch rims 245–60–8 teams. Insulation bubble wrap, aluminum foil installed under the floor and in the roof and sides.
If you have half as many adventures in that van as I have had in mine, its well worth the price.

andrew4566

AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO on my 2005 AWD Express.
The taller tires have affected torque/power up steep grades and deceleration on the downhills; noticed on roads like highway 108, Sonora Pass etc.
It would be an expensive regear for both rear and front differentials.
I've been driving it as is for the meantime.
If I add a Truetrac to the rear I would consider a regear.
Does anyone know thw proper length and type of U bolts needed for the suburban springs? Is it correct to just get the Suburban ones if not using any blocks?

Bluenosepickers

Now has 21k kms still 1.7k to go to get to the east coast.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1063.jpeg
    IMG_1063.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Bluenosepickers

underneath. Mudflaps undercoating foe starters when I get. This is replacing a 2006 T1N short sprinter cargo

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4875.jpeg
    IMG_4875.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 30

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Has anyone swapped in an awd system from a 1500 or 2500 awd into a 2wd van? Is that possible? And yes I know about quigley.
Anything is possible with enough time and money.

However the chassis is completely different, the AWD models are torsion bar vs the 2wd being coil spring front spring.

Maurix

Hi everyone! I've been following you for years and the time has come to introduce myself. I am Italian and I live in Italy, my American dream, looking at your photos, places, your habits and cultures, continues to increase.
In recent years I have researched a lot about these AWD vans, I was lucky enough to find one in my country and the mods began from there. My configuration is 4wd conversion with np241, m/t 285 70 17 light trim, suspension lift front 2.5" rear 2", body lift 1.2", shocks Skyjacker 7000 front/rear, refrigerator 4l60e, shift kit transgo, homemade retrofit projector lens, gladiator coating and van conversion. I would like to add rear differential lock and a rear leaf spring kit. I don't tow but use in mx.. I continue to follow your advice and continue to dream American..

IMG20230919192828.jpg

IMG20220323104010.jpgIMG20220506135026.jpgIMG20220927195605.jpgIMG20220428104301.jpgIMG_20210526_183750.jpg

aiguofer

Hey all. I've been following for a long time. This thread has been super helpful!

So I have a 2003 AWD and my shocks were completely blown out so I ordered some Fox shocks (# 985-24-005) as indicated by multiple people on this thread. However, my shop wasn't able to install them. The top mounting doesn't fit, they said the shocks were too long, and the bottom bolt didn't fit.

I'm wondering if the 2003 was somehow different from later years? I know that was the first year for this generation. Attaching a picture of the top attachment. It looks like some type of bracket that goes through the top of the shock and attaches to the frame through a couple of bolts.

Is this how shocks attach for others here? do I need to somehow modify the fox shocks to attach them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_140927.jpg
    IMG_20231024_140927.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9

Willsfree

Hey all. I've been following for a long time. This thread has been super helpful!

So I have a 2003 AWD and my shocks were completely blown out so I ordered some Fox shocks (# 985-24-005) as indicated by multiple people on this thread. However, my shop wasn't able to install them. The top mounting doesn't fit, they said the shocks were too long, and the bottom bolt didn't fit.

I'm wondering if the 2003 was somehow different from later years? I know that was the first year for this generation. Attaching a picture of the top attachment. It looks like some type of bracket that goes through the top of the shock and attaches to the frame through a couple of bolts.

Is this how shocks attach for others here? do I need to somehow modify the fox shocks to attach them?

Thanks!

Perhaps cross reference the Bilstein/Fox numbers for length and connector type. See my part numbers for a three inch lift front/rear.

aiguofer

Thanks! that was super helpful. Here's the info comparing the two shocks for others that might run into this:

Bilstein 5100 (#24-185615): Known to fit
- Extended length: 26.2 in
- Collapsed length: 16.18 in
- Travel: 10.02 in
- Top Mount: T-bar/barpin
- Lower Mount: Eye 0.5559 in

Fox 2.0 (#985-24-005): Does not fit
- Extended length: 26.85 in
- Collapsed length: 16.75 in
- Travel: 10.1 in
- Top Mount: Eye 0.506 in
- Lower Mount: Eye 0.506

So it seems the lower eye is too small in the Fox. This can probably be fixed by removing the tube inside the bushing.
The top mount is different, which can probably be fixed with some aftermarket attachment.
The length difference is probably not enough to matter. I'm rocking the BOR springs which are supposed to be a little taller than stock, so length shouldn't be a problem.

I've reached out to BOR to see what they say. I'm headed that way anyway so I might just end up getting my shocks from them and return the ones I have, or just pay them to modify the ones I have if they're indeed the same part number. Will report back!

whith

Hi everyone! I've been following you for years and the time has come to introduce myself. I am Italian and I live in Italy, my American dream, looking at your photos, places, your habits and cultures, continues to increase.
In recent years I have researched a lot about these AWD vans, I was lucky enough to find one in my country and the mods began from there. My configuration is 4wd conversion with np241, m/t 285 70 17 light trim, suspension lift front 2.5" rear 2", body lift 1.2", shocks Skyjacker 7000 front/rear, refrigerator 4l60e, shift kit transgo, homemade retrofit projector lens, gladiator coating and van conversion. I would like to add rear differential lock and a rear leaf spring kit. I don't tow but use in mx.. I continue to follow your advice and continue to dream American..

View attachment 802413

View attachment 802414View attachment 802415View attachment 802416View attachment 802419View attachment 802418
Inspiring work so far, keep it up!

High Output Alternator Help!

My alternator just died on my 2003 Express AWD. It currently has a 145 amp unit, and I'd like to take the opportunity to upgrade to a 250-ish amp unit for charging house batteries and running accessory items. I can't seem to find a section of the thread here with anyone that's done this. Does anyone know of the compatible part code?

Mwood95

Is anyone doing more serious wheeling on an awd chassis with upgraded suspension/drivetrain?

Im looking at building an express out as a semi-fulltime camper and i wanted to go with the awd as I like the 5.3 motor and want something that can do my current offroad trails right out of the box (I have a 4x4 astro currently). my build would bring the van right up against the GVWR of 7300lbs.

It would be cool to swap a 4L80 when the 4L60 dies and put a dana60 under the front someday but Im wondering if the light duty frame just wouldnt hold up to serious trails. not rock crawling, just overlanding stuff you would do with a jeep or toyota (I know thats fairly unspecific, sorry)

Mitch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior