GMT800: 1/2T vs 3/4T for towing duty

nsogiba

Hello all, first time poster here, long time reader. Figured I'd post up here since this forum by far seems to have a membership that really uses their trucks and understand their capabilities. I am considering buying a GMT800 ('00-'06) for use as a daily driver in the cold months here in WNY and to tow trailers during the nice seasons.

With two little kids I plan on purchasing a travel trailer next year, which will probably weigh in the vicinity of 5-6K lbs itself, not including all our gear, family, etc. I also pull a race car on an open trailer about 3-4 times a year, probably close to 7K lbs in total. Our geography in NYS is not very mountainous, mostly flat, and I don't really plan on any real off-roading unless at a campsite on state land.

Given what I plan to tow, and for peace of mind, I'm looking more at the longer wheelbase Suburban and Yukon XL rather than the shorty Tahoes and Yukons. I also plan on sleeping in the back of the truck on occasion during race weekends, so the extra space is nice.

Will a typical 1500 series Suburban 5.3 be adequate for this kind of duty, or should I expand my options to the 2500 with a 6.0/4L80E? The 2500 seems to command quite the premium over the half ton. I have about a decade of swapping LS motors into cars they didn't come in, so I have no problem dropping in a freshened up 6.0 with a cam and rebuilt 80E. The question is really the rest of the 2500 architecture. If I'm staying reasonably within the tow capacity of a 1500 (8Kish lbs), will I really need the 2500's massive axles, frame, etc that add overall weight to the vehicle? The 8.1 doesn't interest me due to fuel economy and my lack of familiarity with the big block engine.

The hot rodder in me is dreaming up buying a lower mileage (sub 100K) 1500 Suburban with no rust and clean body, installing a freshened up 4L80E with an HD2 kit, and putting together a small, responsive turbo kit (10 lbs boost or so) while retaining the stock cam. I put together a fun little 2002 RCSB 4.8 Stepside with a turbo and 80E a few years back and although I never towed with it, it was a riot on the street while still comfortable.

Rear air helper springs to combat squat and maybe a weight distribution hitch would be inexpensive way to add stability.

So what say you - stockish 2500 6.0 or hopped up 1500 5.3?

As the owner of a 2002 Avalanche 2500 since new, I would say stick with the 3/4 ton truck. It's true that you're now considering towing items which are not that heavy, but you may in the future.

The best piece of advice I can give you is that since you're looking at a truck which is so old, do not even consider ones that do not come with maintenance records.

My truck came with the 8.1L and 4L85E transmission. It has never given me any issues.
Durwin

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Another vote for 2500. Picked up this Camaro in Ellensburg WA and hauled it back to Edmonton AB.
Took the scenic route back through Glacier National Park.
I can say the 6.0L / 3:73 combo wasn't super great and we experienced some brake fade.
Can't imagine what it would've been like with a 1500...

215740_1027262609386_8951_n.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
To clarify my last comment, I’d be inclined to get an 8.1.

Or better yet, I’d opt for a V10 Excursion.

ExpoMike

Not even a question, 5-6K towing, 3/4 ton minimum. If you were in the 2-3K range (fully loaded), 1/2 ton would work.

ThundahBeagle

3/4 ton plain and simple.

If you have read many posts here about towing, you would know that.

I have a 2014 k1500 and its tow capacity if up around 9.5k pounds, but no way would I consider towing that amount regularly. Probably get away with it a few times but why? Just to prematurely destroy my truck?

Get the tool that is more than strong enough, and you can do the job all day every day if you want. Especially considering you are looking for something 20 years old that could already have been beat to hail.
3/4 ton.

SubSar

I have a 2003 1500 Suburban, 5.3l, 4L60E 4x4, and 3:73 axles. Its max towing is 7,200lbs. If I go to 4:10 axles I can get to 8,100lbs. Also swapping in a 4L80 in place of a 4L60 is not a straight swap if I remember correctly (different lengths, no speed sensor). At the weights you a planning to tow skip the 1500. Get a 2500.

nsogiba

Lots of love for the 2500, seems like the right tool for the job.

Any advice on where to look for a rust free 2001-2006 4WD model (Suburban or Yukon XL) with a 6.0? I am finding a few with the 8100, and all seem priced insanely high for a 20 year old Chevy. I get the "niche" market, but this seems excessive. Was hoping to spend under 10K for one, and don't mind doing some mechanical work to get it in shape. Not too worried about miles, it's the condition of the body and frame that I care most about.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Any advice on where to look for a rust free 2001-2006 4WD model (Suburban or Yukon XL) with a 6.0? I am finding a few with the 8100, and all seem priced insanely high for a 20 year old Chevy. I get the "niche" market, but this seems excessive. Was hoping to spend under 10K for one, and don't mind doing some mechanical work to get it in shape. Not too worried about miles, it's the condition of the body and frame that I care most about.
Not sure if there are any listed. But have you perused the classifieds on this site? Maybe Bringatrailer.com?

ricoisme26

I'd really look south and southwest, looking for a 01-06 GM SUV rust would be my biggest concern. Sounds like you are more than capable mechanically to fix any running issues but once the rust starts its a no win battle.

Jacobm

Another vote for the 2500, I love mine.

There's a couple active Facebook groups for the 2500 Suburbans/Yukons, and they'll often post Marketplace ads for trucks around the country.

ThundahBeagle

NOT in New England.

Best used truck dealer around gets his from Georgia or something

ThundahBeagle

Also, the price is not just about niche market today.

1) the Pandemic caused many work stoppages, parts shortages and restarts. A LOT of "Monday morning/Friday afternoon" vehicles out there MY 2020, 2021, 2022, and even 2023.

2)because of that, the price of a 3 year old car is...hovering around MSRP of when it was new. Very little depreciation because the amount of stock was depleted.

3)UAW is on strike. Stock is depleted or will be.

So, with the prices of new to almost new cars being outrageous, used cars are a hot commodity. Especially sought-after used cars. Like the holy grail of which you speak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online