GMT800: 1/2T vs 3/4T for towing duty

phsycle

Adventurer
Also, the price is not just about niche market today.

1) the Pandemic caused many work stoppages, parts shortages and restarts. A LOT of "Monday morning/Friday afternoon" vehicles out there MY 2020, 2021, 2022, and even 2023.

2)because of that, the price of a 3 year old car is...hovering around MSRP of when it was new. Very little depreciation because the amount of stock was depleted.

3)UAW is on strike. Stock is depleted or will be.

So, with the prices of new to almost new cars being outrageous, used cars are a hot commodity. Especially sought-after used cars. Like the holy grail of which you speak

That’s old news. The tide has been changing for quite a while now. There are more and more new car incentives popping up every week. Used car pricing has been in decline as well.

1stDeuce

Explorer
The benefit of the 3/4 ton burb is that it should have 4:10 axles I think... The 4L80 has a much more tow-friendly overdrive ratio that, along with 4:10's, tends to do a pretty good job of moving things along in OD with the 6.0L. Will also have a 9.5" rear axle that's solid, or if you find an 8.1L, a 14FF. Either way, no regrets over a half ton if you're going to tow with it.

I'd recommend watching FBMP in the Denver area for a fly and buy deal... Several showing right now... You pay a lot more compared to a truck from the midwest, but it should be rust free!

I have a '93 GMT400 burb that has lived in Colorado its whole life and it has NO rust on it at all. Speaking of GMT400's, a nice 2500 'burb with a 454 in it would also work well. '95+ have a nicer interior, '96-99 are Vortec instead of TBI... '96 is the best year becuase no velocity sensitive steering to crap out... :)

GSP

Get the 2500 suburban.

I prefer the 6.0. It's proven to be insanely reliable stock, or with twin turbos and stuffed into a nissan.

3 months ago I bought a 2004 2500 LT burb with the 6.0. It had 134k miles. I paid $5000. The rockers are rusted out, it needed both front hubs replaced and a crank sensor relearn.

I found mine on FB Marketplace. There are FB groups that only list 2500's for sale.

Deals are out there.

thebmrust

Lots of love for the 2500, seems like the right tool for the job.

Any advice on where to look for a rust free 2001-2006 4WD model (Suburban or Yukon XL) with a 6.0? I am finding a few with the 8100, and all seem priced insanely high for a 20 year old Chevy. I get the "niche" market, but this seems excessive. Was hoping to spend under 10K for one, and don't mind doing some mechanical work to get it in shape. Not too worried about miles, it's the condition of the body and frame that I care most about.
I assume WNY is west New York State? Well… I was going to suggest looking at Craigslist in the I-5 corridor from Seattle WA to Portland OR area for 2500 Burbs. But that’s a drive… or a fly n drive. Still, I-90 across the northern tier states is a nice drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online