Going to meet a guy tomorrow that has (2) M100 trailers for sale

Rosader

Observer
Hi guys, first of all let me introduce myself. My name is Rosader and I am brand new to the forum. I just bought a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport (basically a second generation Amigo) and I noticed right away that there really isn't much cargo room in these things at all. I have A LOT of camping gear so I need some way to haul it. I was searching my options online, looking at roof-top cargo baskets (doesn't really work with my removable top), then there are the hitch mounted cargo boxes (I imagine these are not a good option for off-road), then, finally I came across these 1/4 ton military trailer builds and I immediately fell in love with the idea of a trailer project that I can put my creativity into! I have since been looking high and low for a trailer and they seem to be very scarce (and expensive!)

I found one on ebay that is 500 miles away from me but I think my chances of winning are not great as I have to factor in the cost of fuel to drive there and back when deciding on my maximum bid. That auction ends Tuesday so in the meantime a friend told me about a local military surplus yard. I called them up and asked if they had any 1/4 ton trailers and the guy said no. I asked if he knew of anyone in the valley that might have one for sale and he told me he has a friend with a M100 and he gave me his number. I called the guy and he told me he has one in somewhat rough shape and he wants $1,200. He said it's missing the data plate and it has had a tailgate cut. He said he has another one that is in good shape but it's missing the axle and springs. I thought about it for a while and I'm thinking I don't want the one with a tailgate cut but as far as the other one goes, I have no idea what an axle and springs would cost or where I would even find them?

I am going to go look at them tomorrow but what should I offer for the M100 without an axle and springs?

1SAR39

Im pretty new to this but $1200 seems like too much. I recently bought a m100 in "rough shape" ( slightly rusted through front of tub) for $350. If you aren't in a hurry I would wait and scour Craigslist for a few weeks. They pop up every now n then. Now, If you can score the clean tub for $2-400 and find the springs, axle, wheels n tires for around $300, I'd say that would be a deal!

Rosader

Observer
Now lets say he is willing to let me take the springs & axle from the other trailer... What do you think would be a fair offer that would make us both happy?

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
If the rust is not bad in either one...and there could be a complete M100 between the two of them, offer 800 for both. Untouched M100's in california run 700-1200 bucks in decent shape. Most have more rust than you can see until you blast them as the miltary was never shy on slapping paint all over those things...which hides the rust. Look for all of the brake parts and pintle set ups as many were "civilianized" and are missing many of the key parts for those trying to restore them (less value as people who are familiar with them know). The less original parts...the less they are worth. Take a look and send up some pictures and we may be more inclined to give you a better idea....walking away with a few pictures may also lower his price as you may be the only one looking at them for what he wants.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Score the trailer without the axle. Purchase an axle with hubs that match your vehicle
and that has electric brakes. Better in the long run.

Last edited:

XJBANKER

Explorer
If it is a guy from Smith and Edwards that has the friend the price for those trailers are way too high. I've seen them both. I have bought and sold 3 different trailers like that and one that I had in excellent shape I sold for $1200. The one with no axle would be best so you could do your own but like that the frame and trailer should only be worth $300 or $400 if it is in awesome shape. Don't let him fool you into it being a golden egg. If you want to come look at my Conqueror to get ideas of what you want out of a trailer I'm in Layton. Also my friend has a complely build M-416 in fruit heights that you can check out before you start your project.

joearod524

I'm glad on got on here today. I'm up at Hill AFB. I have an MBT I might be looking to get rid of (if I buy my wife a new jeep in the next week). But, even if I don't sell the trailer, I've got the stock axle/brake assembly/wheels taking up room in my garage. The trailer it's self is in pretty good shape. After I bought it I put on 3 inch lift springs, a 3.5k Dexter axle w/ brakes, and 33" BFG mud terrains. The only action its' seen is being pulled about 2,200 miles loaded up with stuff when I moved. Don't pay $1200 for anything in rough shape. I can point you to a fully restored 1/4 ton for that price.

Last edited:

XJBANKER

Explorer
I'm glad on got on here today. I'm up at Hill AFB. I have an MBT I might be looking to get rid of (if I buy my wife a new jeep in the next week). But, even if I don't sell the trailer, I've got the stock axle/brake assembly/wheels taking up room in my garage. The trailer it's self is in pretty good shape. After I bought it I put 3 inch lift springs, a 3k Dexter axle w/ brakes, and 33" BFG mud terrains. The only action its' seen is being pulled about 2,200 miles loaded up with stuff when I moved. Don't pay $1200 for anything in rough shape. I can point you to a fully restored 1/4 ton for that price.

Photos?

Rosader

Observer
If it is a guy from Smith and Edwards that has the friend the price for those trailers are way too high. I've seen them both. I have bought and sold 3 different trailers like that and one that I had in excellent shape I sold for $1200. The one with no axle would be best so you could do your own but like that the frame and trailer should only be worth $300 or $400 if it is in awesome shape. Don't let him fool you into it being a golden egg. If you want to come look at my Conqueror to get ideas of what you want out of a trailer I'm in Layton. Also my friend has a complely build M-416 in fruit heights that you can check out before you start your project.
Yes, it's the guy from Smith and Edwards. What kind of shape is the one with no axle? The guy was not available to meet up with me today but he said he should be tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rosader

Observer
I'm glad on got on here today. I'm up at Hill AFB. I have an MBT I might be looking to get rid of (if I buy my wife a new jeep in the next week). But, even if I don't sell the trailer, I've got the stock axle/brake assembly/wheels taking up room in my garage. The trailer it's self is in pretty good shape. After I bought it I put 3 inch lift springs, a 3k Dexter axle w/ brakes, and 33" BFG mud terrains. The only action its' seen is being pulled about 2,200 miles loaded up with stuff when I moved. Don't pay $1200 for anything in rough shape. I can point you to a fully restored 1/4 ton for that price.
Yes I am very interested.

Rosader

Observer
Now, just so I can be a little more educated...
1. What are the differences between MBT, M100 & M416 (besides fenders, they all look the same to me)
2. What are the pros and cons of each?
3. What is the most preferred style for building an off road trailer?
4. Would round fenders look weird with 265/75R16 tires? I want to (but don't absolutely need to) use the same size tires that I plan on running on my Isuzu after I lift it.

From a noob perspective, I like the looks of the squared fenders better but the round ones aren't bad either.

I have only been looking for a trailer for about a week but I've looked EVERYWHERE and I almost feel like if I don't get one of the VERY FEW available, that it will be a long time before another one comes along. But then again, I don't want to jump the gun and pay too much for one in questionable shape only to have something better and more affordable pop up a few weeks later.

Last edited:

XJBANKER

Explorer
You might look for weeks, months even a year to find what you want. I would recommend that you don't jump the gun just because you feel like you have to and decide what you actually want first. What do you want to build? The reason I ask is because the money starts to add up fast depending on what you want. Do you have a family, kids? Will you be camping by yourself? Do you want a ground tent or roof top tent? Changing room area? Kitchen?

I was going to build my own trailer and that is why I have been through three of them trying to get what I wanted. The M-416 is the newest models and best to work with in my opinion due to the square fenders to be able to set things on and the fact that the tub can unbolt from the frame for sandblasting and full restoration. The MBT are the oldest and there are slight differences between that and the M100's. There is also a Canadian M101 that looks just like the M-416. If you really want to get into the differences between them look at Www.g503.com

I have a family of four and wanted a tent large enough for us to be comfortable with a changing room and for the tent to be on the trailer. The tent needed to accomplish that from camping lab is $3000 just for the tent. Then I was looking at a kitchen, water tanks and so forth all while having to restore a trailer. I found a Conqueror Compact for a great deal and I got what I wanted for less than my friend has in his M416

There is a Conqueror Compact for sale in Arizona right now that is listed in the for sale section on this board. It might not be right for you but again it depends on what you want and how much money it is going to cost you to get it there. A rule of thumb for buying these trailers is that if someone knows what they have they usually want way to much for it. Most of the time if you see them for sale here you are going to buy on the more reasonable side of the high side because we know what they are worth so it is hard to ask unreasonable prices for them.

Here is mine.
IMAG0348.jpg

My friends 416 is on the left.
1585609831_1378840722808.jpg

I'm a big believer of doing things right the first time. Figure out what you want and what you are willing to spend to get it and go from there. Let us know what you are wanting to do and we will see how we can help direct you.

Rosader

Observer
You might look for weeks, months even a year to find what you want. I would recommend that you don't jump the gun just because you feel like you have to and decide what you actually want first. What do you want to build? The reason I ask is because the money starts to add up fast depending on what you want. Do you have a family, kids? Will you be camping by yourself? Do you want a ground tent or roof top tent? Changing room area? Kitchen?

I was going to build my own trailer and that is why I have been through three of them trying to get what I wanted. The M-416 is the newest models and best to work with in my opinion due to the square fenders to be able to set things on and the fact that the tub can unbolt from the frame for sandblasting and full restoration. The MBT are the oldest and there are slight differences between that and the M100's. There is also a Canadian M101 that looks just like the M-416. If you really want to get into the differences between them look at Www.g503.com

I have a family of four and wanted a tent large enough for us to be comfortable with a changing room and for the tent to be on the trailer. The tent needed to accomplish that from camping lab is $3000 just for the tent. Then I was looking at a kitchen, water tanks and so forth all while having to restore a trailer. I found a Conqueror Compact for a great deal and I got what I wanted for less than my friend has in his M416

There is a Conqueror Compact for sale in Arizona right now that is listed in the for sale section on this board. It might not be right for you but again it depends on what you want and how much money it is going to cost you to get it there. A rule of thumb for buying these trailers is that if someone knows what they have they usually want way to much for it. Most of the time if you see them for sale here you are going to buy on the more reasonable side of the high side because we know what they are worth so it is hard to ask unreasonable prices for them.

Here is mine.
View attachment 91893

My friends 416 is on the left.
View attachment 91894

I'm a big believer of doing things right the first time. Figure out what you want and what you are willing to spend to get it and go from there. Let us know what you are wanting to do and we will see how we can help direct you.
I like the XJ! I used to have a 98 that I bought as 2WD and converted to 4WD. Here's a pic.
DSC00040.jpg

I'm not going to get too extreme with the trailer. I have no wife and kids but go camping with family and friends. I already have a nice Springbar ground tent so I don't need a RTT. I have lots of camping gear and just need room for it all. For now, my plans would be as simple as adding a lid and hood struts and maybe some jerry can holders next to the fenders and a tongue box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman