Good-Bye Jeep Hello Ram

BCHauler

Adventurer
Living in the rainforest that we do, do you have any concerns with water getting in, especially when the vehicle isn't moving? Love the idea, but it sure looks like water would hit the hood and run right in that scoop.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Living in the rainforest that we do, do you have any concerns with water getting in, especially when the vehicle isn't moving? Love the idea, but it sure looks like water would hit the hood and run right in that scoop.

There's a lip on the inside of the scoop. The last week in the torrential downpours very little has leaked in. I also have a neoprene plug if
it gets to rainy or want to cross some water...And if i am crossing water......and it reaches the hood...I'll be putting on a life jacket :)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The canopy was $1800....plus taxes.... I scoured Craigslist and Kijiji for months but couldn't find what I wanted
so ended up ordering new....
Well I think you did allright at $1800.:Wow1: Keep us updated with pics as your truck looks great. Maybe we could drink a beer:beer: together this summer as I will be in Vancouver at the end of July. Cheers, Chilli.:)

fasteddy47

Adventurer
So I started building rear cabinets today. Found a deal on some baltic birch that was to good to pass up. Didn't
want to go 5/8's but the price was right....so I started lightening it up :box:

Full length of bed 6' 4" platform.... 2x 24" sliding drawers on 36" 500lb slides. The front of cab section will hold 60 litre water tank, dual batteries,
1500 watt inverter, dual MV 50 compressors, solar electrics, and whatever else I need to store!!!

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Where did you buy your MV50s? In the long run you will be happier with the 5/8 Baltic birch. The web you are cutting under the drawers is a good idea. It might allow a bit more dust to find it's way into the drawers, but that is going to happen no matter what.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Where did you buy your MV50s? In the long run you will be happier with the 5/8 Baltic birch. The web you are cutting under the drawers is a good idea. It might allow a bit more dust to find it's way into the drawers, but that is going to happen no matter what.

The MV 50's from North Shore Off Road....
The dust won't be an issue as I will be installing whiskers on the drawer slides, that should keep a major majority of it
out. The biggest issue I have is weight and I plan to cut out as much as possible...:safari-rig:

I will keep posting progress on the drawers....my brother in law has a pretty nice wood working shop...I am
fortunate enough to be able to use his gear...and his advice!!!
Cheers
Eddy

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Finally got some free time to work on my storage box. Finished the rough.... now to sand...prep.... paint....yada yada...

Water tank is on the way.... Have the Dual Battery tray ..... solar Charger...1500 Watt Invertor....Compressors..... Whole
pile of stuff to mount in the front to Storage bins.

So Here's the specs
48 wide
64 long
11 Deep
The two Drawers are 36 long/ 21 wide/ 10 deep/ The front two storage bins are 29 long / 22 wide/ and 11 deep/
Drawer Dividers slide in or out every 8 inches. Can have 6 dividers a drawer if required
18 Gallons of water on the right hand bin with a Sur-Flo Pump System.
Two covers slide over top of the drawers for work area , they slide out a full 32 inches.
Knobs on front are temporary....I am going to install locking paddle latches. Haven't decided on a finish yet. Was thinking
of trying a super high gloss wet sanded finish.....but may just coat it in gray Deck-Kote...
Untitled.jpg

Untitledaa.jpg

Last edited:

fasteddy47

Adventurer
How did you cut the notches for your dividers?

My Brother In Law has a HUGE table saw.... I used a Dado blade to cut all the notches. The bottom piece is notched the whole
length for the sides and all the insides are notched as well. Once the glue sets it's almost impossible for them to pull
apart.... (So I am told) I am a metal guy....my brother in law has gear that I don't even know how to turn on...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan