Good starting platform for under 7k?

JeepMI

Observer
Hey guys. Been a long time lurker on this site, posted a few times and 1 trip report a few years ago, but I usually just look around at some of the incredible trips that I hope to take someday. Well I decided it's about time to stop looking and start preparing to make a trip myself, but I need some opinions on vehicle choices before I get started on the serious planning.

So here's some background information that may be helpful: I'm 19 years old, working full time and going to school full time for now, so I really need something reliable. I've had 3 Jeeps, and though they were a ton of fun, they always needed work and the gas mileage was similar to a V10 f-250

At the moment I'm driving a 2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 that I picked up for cheap, but the transmission is pretty rough (manual trans -whines, occasional grinds, clunks on 1-2 and 2-3 shift), the front end pulls no matter what I replace, and it has some weird ABS issues, so I'm sort of ruling this out at my vehicle to start building off of.

So I'm looking to get rid of my current truck, and pick up something else that will be more reliable, and better for long travel with light offroading. I'm starting to plan for a trip out to Colorado next summer that should be a little over 3500 miles, and I'm hoping to hit some light trails while i'm out there so 4x4 is a must, and I'd really like an automatic this time. I'm looking for something that has enough space for an air mattress in the back so I can camp in the vehicle (truck with a cap, bigger SUV). Not really interested in another Chevy truck, not a huge fan of this one. Definitely no Dodge trucks, I've never trusted their auto transmissions. Problem is i'm having a hard time figuring out what my options are for a vehicle that's up for long trips, light wheeling, daily driving, reliability (it's used, I don't expect it to be perfect of course), and some room to sleep. Gas mileage isn't a huge deal to me, but i'm hoping for at least 16-17 on the freeway. Looking into a very mild build. Small lift, hidden winch, slightly bigger tires, sleeping platform, just basic stuff.

Any opinions on vehicles that fit the bill for this?

Thanks in advance!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Look under the vehicles for sale section, nonmember ie craigslist at the 4x4 van ambulance from Tahoe. Rust free, solid, easy to repair if needed, perfect box on back as accesses cab, and let your imagination run wild!! And $5k BELOW your budget.... Then hit the road, or even pick up a low dollar commuter car if need be.

Calplaya

Adventurer
I have an 89 Suburban I am turning into my expo vehicle. it has a TBI injected 350, and I have at one time seen 14 out of it, but more typical would be 12 mpg. I only paid 1200 for it tho and havnt had any issues with it yet, and it now has almost 150k miles on it. I would trust to take it anywhere. That being said, a better choice for you might be a 1992-1995 burban. the simple 350 is capable of 16 and i know a guy who regularly gets 18 out of his (but he drives it like a dog) and his has 285k miles on it, but one new transmission put in 10k miles ago. In 1996 they switched the heads to the Vortec style ones, and in 2001 they changed the entire engine over to the Vortec 5.3L we have today. I would personally recommend that engine to anyone and everyone and put my name out on the line for it every time. My dads 01 Tahoe has 225k nearly trouble free miles on his Tahoe, and the vet service around where we live just traded off 2 2003 Suburbans with the 5.3L in them and 500k plus miles on each, both ran perfect and strong, they told us they only had one tranny replaced in that time, so not bad at all.

But if your dead set on no more Chevys, then may I suggest either a Expidition or an Excursion? The 5.4L backing the Expidition is a very reliable platform and is good for many miles. All engines have their weakneses, and the 5.4L is no exception, but overall, I've never met anyone who regretted buying one. The Excursion is also available with the 5.4L but I feel its too underpowered of an engine for that kind of mass, so that leaves you with the optional V10 which will get horrid fuel economy, or the Diesels. It came equipped origonally with the 7.3L Diesel which I cant recommend enough and the newer ones with the 6.0L diesel, which unless your willing to invest time, money and work into it, I would advise you to stay away from. In terms of price I could have bought an 01 Excursion from a friend of mine with 200k miles on it and impecable maintenance records for 7k, and that was the top end Eddie Bauer version. Gorgeous, reliable, rust free vehicle, but I want a truck with a diesel and not an SUV personally, cuz I have fifth wheels to worry about haha. But the fact is, you can get them for cheap if your willing to wait and look. The Expiditions are a lot more affordable, you can buy a 98 or newer for 3-7 thousand easy, heck you might be able to find some for under three, but if you do, its not one youd want haha, stay away, they havnt been taken care of.

Otherwise the only Durango I can reccomend and not feel guilty is one with a 5.7L HEMI, but I have seen very few of those for under ten, let alone 7 thousand dollars, and then you still have the weak trannys. Plus their a little small, so yeah. Otherwise, stay away from a 2500-3500 Chevy with the 8.1L or 6.0L gas engines, which you wont be able to buy for 7k unless they have over 200k miles anyway, not because they are bad engines, but simply because youl hardly ever get over 10 mpg with either of them. But if that dosnt bother you, the 8.1L is backed by the Allison transmission, which is awesome. I did see a rougher GMC 2500 with leather and the 8.1L around here for sale last summer, it sold for 8500 and was only on the lot for 2 days, so their in demand even with those high miles, so your ability to find one for under 7k is drastically deminished. Hope this helps a little...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd get(got) a 2000+ Ford Superduty. 5.4 LB, XL.

Good solid truck. Manual hubs, Manual Xfer case, easy to rebuild transmission, toughest axles (Dana 60 and 10.25, the early Dana 50's weren't bad). They respond well to gears. 4.10 or 4.30 are a must have. Don't expect the 5.4 to be powerful or fast, but it gets the job done well enough.

Repairs are cheap and easy, except the long block. Good reman'd Ford engines aren't cheap. About $3400-3500, $4000 retail.

My 2008 5.4, LB, ExC, XL gets about 16.5 mpg at 65 mph on flat terrain. It never gets worse than 15 on the highway.

JeepMI

Observer
I have an 89 Suburban I am turning into my expo vehicle. it has a TBI injected 350, and I have at one time seen 14 out of it, but more typical would be 12 mpg. I only paid 1200 for it tho and havnt had any issues with it yet, and it now has almost 150k miles on it. I would trust to take it anywhere. That being said, a better choice for you might be a 1992-1995 burban. the simple 350 is capable of 16 and i know a guy who regularly gets 18 out of his (but he drives it like a dog) and his has 285k miles on it, but one new transmission put in 10k miles ago. In 1996 they switched the heads to the Vortec style ones, and in 2001 they changed the entire engine over to the Vortec 5.3L we have today. I would personally recommend that engine to anyone and everyone and put my name out on the line for it every time. My dads 01 Tahoe has 225k nearly trouble free miles on his Tahoe, and the vet service around where we live just traded off 2 2003 Suburbans with the 5.3L in them and 500k plus miles on each, both ran perfect and strong, they told us they only had one tranny replaced in that time, so not bad at all.

But if your dead set on no more Chevys, then may I suggest either a Expidition or an Excursion? The 5.4L backing the Expidition is a very reliable platform and is good for many miles. All engines have their weakneses, and the 5.4L is no exception, but overall, I've never met anyone who regretted buying one. The Excursion is also available with the 5.4L but I feel its too underpowered of an engine for that kind of mass, so that leaves you with the optional V10 which will get horrid fuel economy, or the Diesels. It came equipped origonally with the 7.3L Diesel which I cant recommend enough and the newer ones with the 6.0L diesel, which unless your willing to invest time, money and work into it, I would advise you to stay away from. In terms of price I could have bought an 01 Excursion from a friend of mine with 200k miles on it and impecable maintenance records for 7k, and that was the top end Eddie Bauer version. Gorgeous, reliable, rust free vehicle, but I want a truck with a diesel and not an SUV personally, cuz I have fifth wheels to worry about haha. But the fact is, you can get them for cheap if your willing to wait and look. The Expiditions are a lot more affordable, you can buy a 98 or newer for 3-7 thousand easy, heck you might be able to find some for under three, but if you do, its not one youd want haha, stay away, they havnt been taken care of.

Otherwise the only Durango I can reccomend and not feel guilty is one with a 5.7L HEMI, but I have seen very few of those for under ten, let alone 7 thousand dollars, and then you still have the weak trannys. Plus their a little small, so yeah. Otherwise, stay away from a 2500-3500 Chevy with the 8.1L or 6.0L gas engines, which you wont be able to buy for 7k unless they have over 200k miles anyway, not because they are bad engines, but simply because youl hardly ever get over 10 mpg with either of them. But if that dosnt bother you, the 8.1L is backed by the Allison transmission, which is awesome. I did see a rougher GMC 2500 with leather and the 8.1L around here for sale last summer, it sold for 8500 and was only on the lot for 2 days, so their in demand even with those high miles, so your ability to find one for under 7k is drastically deminished. Hope this helps a little...

Thanks! That helps quite a bit actually. Didn't really think about an Expedition, it seems like a pretty good option though for what i'm looking for. Are these capable of at least 16-17 freeway? Any thing specific to look for? It seems like with any 4x4 outside of an Escape type of vehicle will only get a max of 17-20 freeway. City mileage isn't a big deal though, but i'd rather not be too far below 13 MPG.

I've also looked around at the heavier duty trucks/excursions and can't seem to find many good option, however and expedition is easily found with under 100k for 5-7k.

Tahoes also sound like a good option, but the pre 2000 ones seem to get pretty horrible mileage (many reported under 10), and the post 2000 ones look great but are hard to find in that price with low miles.

Toyota HiLux/Tacoma/First generation Tundra....you can pick up a V6 regular cab 8' bed Tundra for not too much...and will be super reliable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...rs_Trucks&hash=item3a769b5868#ht_35433wt_1127

View attachment 108883

Nissan Frontier

Ford F-150/250/350

I know you said no manual transmissions, you should go at least go test drive
a Japanese one....super tight, the same with their front ends.

Hmm, can't seem to find too many toyota trucks in that price actually, but I found a few Nissan's, and a ton of xterras which look pretty nice, any opinions on those? I've read good things but they do seem a little small and pretty poor on gas for the size.

I'd get(got) a 2000+ Ford Superduty. 5.4 LB, XL.

Good solid truck. Manual hubs, Manual Xfer case, easy to rebuild transmission, toughest axles (Dana 60 and 10.25, the early Dana 50's weren't bad). They respond well to gears. 4.10 or 4.30 are a must have. Don't expect the 5.4 to be powerful or fast, but it gets the job done well enough.

Repairs are cheap and easy, except the long block. Good reman'd Ford engines aren't cheap. About $3400-3500, $4000 retail.

My 2008 5.4, LB, ExC, XL gets about 16.5 mpg at 65 mph on flat terrain. It never gets worse than 15 on the highway.

Seems like the 5.4 is really a solid engine. I can't find a whole lot of f-250's in that price that aren't beat, but f-150's share the same engine, and those look like a pretty good option. I would like a big solid axle heavy duty truck though :Wow1:

Calplaya

Adventurer
Thanks! That helps quite a bit actually. Didn't really think about an Expedition, it seems like a pretty good option though for what i'm looking for. Are these capable of at least 16-17 freeway? Any thing specific to look for? It seems like with any 4x4 outside of an Escape type of vehicle will only get a max of 17-20 freeway. City mileage isn't a big deal though, but i'd rather not be too far below 13 MPG.

I've also looked around at the heavier duty trucks/excursions and can't seem to find many good option, however and expedition is easily found with under 100k for 5-7k.

Tahoes also sound like a good option, but the pre 2000 ones seem to get pretty horrible mileage (many reported under 10), and the post 2000 ones look great but are hard to find in that price with low miles.

Seems like the 5.4 is really a solid engine. I can't find a whole lot of f-250's in that price that aren't beat, but f-150's share the same engine, and those look like a pretty good option. I would like a big solid axle heavy duty truck though :Wow1:

The Expeditions can get between 15-18, but dont expect to get much better then 18 usually. It is possible, but rare, and usually so with the addition of an air intake kit or a freer flowing exhaust, but if your going to do one, do the other too in my opinion. All engines love to breathe better, and youl never regret helping them in that respect.

The modular motors from 1997 to present have one common issue no matter the trucks, being the COP (coil on plug) technology. What this is, is in place of using an actual coil pack each cylinder has its own individual coil on top of a rubber boot that attaches directly to the spark plugs.

The 1997-03 5.4's have only a few issues, the occasional leaky heater hose that may cause coolant to leak into the rear two passenger cylinders. The COP's (coil on plug) are not moisture friendly, but if the are treated to a healthy amount of dialectic grease on the boots outer surface acting as a moisture blocker can prevent the problem.

In all new 5.4 motors 2004+ with the updated 3Valve motors, there major dilemma/issue is when it comes to the spark plug change. They have a HORRIBLE history of breaking off inside the motor. The 3V 5.4L's also carry on the inherent issue of the "beloved" COP(coil on plug) technology.

Other than these issues the 5.4 is a excellent and powerful motor that can, given good maintenance on time, prove to be a affordable working truck.

and as far as Tahoes, the older 350 with Vortec heads is a bit more of a gas guzzler, but Ive never heard of 10 mpg until this post, unless your really referring to 1991 and older ones. the 350 in 1992-1995s were still kind of thirsty, but saw mid teens usually, and I know a guy with a 93 Suburban, a lot more mass behind it, and 285k miles, and he gets 18 regularly with that, but he also never gets into the throttle and feathers it everywhere. Tahoes are usually better. In 1996 the Vortec heads came on these 350s until 2000, and then the 5.3L officially arrived, but the 2000 5.3L isnt the best in the world. I would however very highly recommend a 5.3L from 2001 onward. I have personally seen a few of these in suburbans and Tahoes with over 500k miles on them, and they very typically get between 16-19 mpg, and I know my dad has seen 21 with his in his 01 Tahoe. I have seen a few Tahoes 01-03 around here for sale for between 5500 to 7000 with miles between 125k to 160k, and as long as it looks like the oil has been changed regularly and they have some if not all of the maintenance records for them, I would not hesitate to purchase them with those kind of miles. They will have very very very many left in them, this truely is one of GMs ultimate engines, right up there with the 3800 V6.

Calplaya

Adventurer
Also, one more thing. the way Ford does the third row in the Expeditions isnt the best, so their kind of a little tighter then a Suburban or a Tahoe 3rd row seat, and cargo area behind it is a tad bit worse too, but it is decent. its just not as decent as a Tahoe or Suburban, and youl want to pack a little bit lighter unless you have a roof rack or something.

JeepMI

Observer
Yeah, Toys are a needle in a haystack at that price point.

Best bet is a F150.

That's what i'm thinking as well. It's basically between an f-150/expedition/tahoe or maybe an xterra. I'm unsure of the xterra though. Sounds like they need timing belts every 100k which is expensive and when buying used I would risk not having them done, and having to drop an extra $600 on a car I just bought. However, I feel as though an xterra would be more capable offroad than a full size american vehicle.

The Expeditions can get between 15-18, but dont expect to get much better then 18 usually. It is possible, but rare, and usually so with the addition of an air intake kit or a freer flowing exhaust, but if your going to do one, do the other too in my opinion. All engines love to breathe better, and youl never regret helping them in that respect.

The modular motors from 1997 to present have one common issue no matter the trucks, being the COP (coil on plug) technology. What this is, is in place of using an actual coil pack each cylinder has its own individual coil on top of a rubber boot that attaches directly to the spark plugs.

The 1997-03 5.4's have only a few issues, the occasional leaky heater hose that may cause coolant to leak into the rear two passenger cylinders. The COP's (coil on plug) are not moisture friendly, but if the are treated to a healthy amount of dialectic grease on the boots outer surface acting as a moisture blocker can prevent the problem.

In all new 5.4 motors 2004+ with the updated 3Valve motors, there major dilemma/issue is when it comes to the spark plug change. They have a HORRIBLE history of breaking off inside the motor. The 3V 5.4L's also carry on the inherent issue of the "beloved" COP(coil on plug) technology.

Other than these issues the 5.4 is a excellent and powerful motor that can, given good maintenance on time, prove to be a affordable working truck.

and as far as Tahoes, the older 350 with Vortec heads is a bit more of a gas guzzler, but Ive never heard of 10 mpg until this post, unless your really referring to 1991 and older ones. the 350 in 1992-1995s were still kind of thirsty, but saw mid teens usually, and I know a guy with a 93 Suburban, a lot more mass behind it, and 285k miles, and he gets 18 regularly with that, but he also never gets into the throttle and feathers it everywhere. Tahoes are usually better. In 1996 the Vortec heads came on these 350s until 2000, and then the 5.3L officially arrived, but the 2000 5.3L isnt the best in the world. I would however very highly recommend a 5.3L from 2001 onward. I have personally seen a few of these in suburbans and Tahoes with over 500k miles on them, and they very typically get between 16-19 mpg, and I know my dad has seen 21 with his in his 01 Tahoe. I have seen a few Tahoes 01-03 around here for sale for between 5500 to 7000 with miles between 125k to 160k, and as long as it looks like the oil has been changed regularly and they have some if not all of the maintenance records for them, I would not hesitate to purchase them with those kind of miles. They will have very very very many left in them, this truely is one of GMs ultimate engines, right up there with the 3800 V6.

Sounds like the 5.4 is definitely a stout engine then, with only a few problems. I've also heard great things of the 4.6 found in the f-150 and expedition, I loved the 4.6 that I had in my old Grand Marquis. Would probably be a little weak in a full size truck, but I could deal with that, I assume it would get a little better MPG which would be nice. Towing is not an issue because I very rarely tow anything and if I do it's not anything heavy.

I definitely like the 5.3 more than the 5.7 engine. They just seem a little more smooth/refined/modern to me which I like, even though I know that can be a bad thing. The 4.8 in my current truck (which I understand shares a lot with the 5.3) is a great engine. Very smooth, quiet, and powerful.

So at this point I'm mainly looking at:

1997-2002 Ford Expedition
1997-2003 Ford F-150
2000-2004ish Chevy Tahoe
Nissan Xterra? Still would like some opinions/personal experience on these. I know i'm in the wrong section though :sombrero:

Calplaya

Adventurer
more capable offroad then an American vehicle? well thats a first ive ever heard that lol! I still have yet to get stuck in my Suburban, and ive been in some pretty rough stuff in that. Around these parts, where we have a lot of mud in the summer, and need to drive in the fields, and during the winter have blizzard after blizzard, you need a good, strong, hefty vehicle to handle it all, and American trucks and SUVs are everywhere, with anything imported usually being towed out. Maybe as far as size is concerned I could see it being a bit of an issue if your wheeling a small trail, but otherwise, they are awesome off road.

Yes the 4.8L and 5.3L are very very similar, and like you said, they do share a lot of the same parts. I actually have a car craft magazine where the boys bought a silverado 5.3L and were gunna see how much power they could bolt on it before it broke, with no strengthining of anything really. they got well past 600 HP and it was still asking for more, when they looked at a casting number on the block and realized it was actually a 4.8L, so these engines are very stout indeed.

As far as being smooth/refined and mordern, with the 5.3L, you get that, and you dont have a whole hellofalot to worry about. Reliability on these as ive illistrated before is well above average. Great engines. Cant go wrong. But I would advise not looking at a 2000 Tahoe, and instead look for an 01-04 one. not only was the engine majorly refined in 01, they also went with a new transmission too, which is worlds ahead of the old one. the first year (01) did have some problems in that tranny with the butterfly gears, but that issue has been addressed in recalls and just people breaking down and getting new transmissions afterward. My dads 01 Tahoe had it, went out at 37k miles, got a new one, now the truck has 230k on it with no issues.

otherwise, all of those options you layed out, well, you wont be disappointed unless you buy the Nissan haha.

Clutch

<---Pass
I feel as though an xterra would be more capable offroad than a full size american vehicle.
:

Nah, it is more about driving skill than what vehicle you have.

I have own both fullsize and mini-trucks and still wheeled the same trails. While I really like my Tacoma, I sure do miss my '76 F250.

I had it set up darn near exactly like this one, just a
different color.

14034.520.390.jpg

There is a guy running around town here in a late model regular cab F250, with a about 4" lift and 35" tires, 8' bed, and a topper...really like that truck, he can
go anywhere I can, plus has higher load capacity. You can make a pretty nice living quarters with a 8' bed, a cot and a topper.

Roll-a-Cot, has cots with no center leg, can place it right over a wheel well, plus breaks down quite small.

http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-cot.htm

American TopGear kinda sucks....no Jeremy Clarkson...but...

Last edited:

JeepMI

Observer
more capable offroad then an American vehicle? well thats a first ive ever heard that lol! I still have yet to get stuck in my Suburban, and ive been in some pretty rough stuff in that. Around these parts, where we have a lot of mud in the summer, and need to drive in the fields, and during the winter have blizzard after blizzard, you need a good, strong, hefty vehicle to handle it all, and American trucks and SUVs are everywhere, with anything imported usually being towed out. Maybe as far as size is concerned I could see it being a bit of an issue if your wheeling a small trail, but otherwise, they are awesome off road.

Yes the 4.8L and 5.3L are very very similar, and like you said, they do share a lot of the same parts. I actually have a car craft magazine where the boys bought a silverado 5.3L and were gunna see how much power they could bolt on it before it broke, with no strengthining of anything really. they got well past 600 HP and it was still asking for more, when they looked at a casting number on the block and realized it was actually a 4.8L, so these engines are very stout indeed.

As far as being smooth/refined and mordern, with the 5.3L, you get that, and you dont have a whole hellofalot to worry about. Reliability on these as ive illistrated before is well above average. Great engines. Cant go wrong. But I would advise not looking at a 2000 Tahoe, and instead look for an 01-04 one. not only was the engine majorly refined in 01, they also went with a new transmission too, which is worlds ahead of the old one. the first year (01) did have some problems in that tranny with the butterfly gears, but that issue has been addressed in recalls and just people breaking down and getting new transmissions afterward. My dads 01 Tahoe had it, went out at 37k miles, got a new one, now the truck has 230k on it with no issues.

otherwise, all of those options you layed out, well, you wont be disappointed unless you buy the Nissan haha.

Haha I guess I worded that poorly, it being American has nothing to do with it, but being a Jeep guy I always figured that smaller, lighter vehicles were better offroad. Although this vehicle will see more highway than trails so capability isn't actually that important. Whatever i get it will have a winch and recovery gear just in case :)

Good to know on the 2000 tahoe's though, I'll watch out for those. First model years generally do have more problems anyway.

Nah, it is more about driving skill than what vehicle you have.

I have own both fullsize and mini-trucks and still wheeled the same trails. While I really like my Tacoma, I sure do miss my '76 F250.

I had it set up darn near exactly like this one, just a
different color.

View attachment 109387

There is a guy running around town here in a late model regular cab F250, with a about 4" lift and 35" tires, 8' bed, and a topper...really like that truck, he can
go anywhere I can, plus has higher load capacity. You can make a pretty nice living quarters with a 8' bed, a cot and a topper.

Roll-a-Cot, has cots with no center leg, can place it right over a wheel well, plus breaks down quite small.

http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-cot.htm

American TopGear kinda sucks....no Jeremy Clarkson...but...

True on the drivers skill, I've seen stock pathfinders go places that Jeep's on 33's struggle in. I would also eventually get a rear locker so that would help with capability.

That truck is super ************ though, I'd love to get something like that but I have a feeling that they don't get much over 10 MPG haha. Funny you mention that top gear episode though, I was just watching that the other day and was rather impressed by the capability of those trucks, however the vehicles i'm looking at have IFS where those *** had solid axles. Is the solid axle setup THAT much more capable in a full size truck? Should I be considering a Ram as well because of it?

Clutch

<---Pass
That truck is super ************ though, I'd love to get something like that but I have a feeling that they don't get much over 10 MPG haha. Funny you mention that top gear episode though, I was just watching that the other day and was rather impressed by the capability of those trucks, however the vehicles i'm looking at have IFS where those *** had solid axles. Is the solid axle setup THAT much more capable in a full size truck? Should I be considering a Ram as well because of it?

It isn't that a SFA is more capable, just a wee bit stronger depending on who you ask. SFA is a bit easier to lift than IFS, correctly that is...drop bracket lifts for IFS over leverage the system, you want to go long travel...but cost goes through the roof then. IFS will ride nicer than SFA. But a coil sprung SFA will be close if it is setup right.

Like anything in life, it is all a compromise. Especially with a budget.

Dodges are worth looking at, but have week steering components that need to be addressed if you are going to drive it hard.

I dunno, maybe your best bet is a F250/F350 with a a leaf sprung front end. Deals are out there just have to look for them...but gas mileage isn't going to be great. 6 to 1, half dozen the other.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior