Good starting platform for under 7k?

JeepMI

Observer
Well, after a pretty long search for a new truck, I went a different route than expected and picked up a ranger for a good price. I looked at a couple F-150's and an expedition but couldn't find what I wanted in good enough shape for a reasonable price, so I found a clean '03 Ranger Fx4 extended cab with a loaded interior and 110k for waaaay cheaper than blue book. Guy wasn't using it anymore because he started a landscaping company and wanted a quick sale to keep his company afloat. However, the cheap price came with a few problems. Needed a battery terminal, some grease on the slip yoke, a passenger side outer tie rod, a drivers side wheel bearing is on the way out, and it has a small exhaust leak. It will also need tires soon because of a little dry rot but that's no biggie because I want to upgrade anyway. Granted, the truck still drives with with no real shakes or loud noises, but these are things that are just now becoming noticeable, so I'll fix them before they actually fail.

So far i've fixed the battery terminal, greased the slip yoke, and just did some general clean up. Going to transfer the plates tomorrow, and hopefully get the exhaust taken care of (small leak in a flange between the cat and muffler, shouldn't be expensive). Also going to crawl under and start soaking the bolts for the tie rod and wheel bearing so the replacement wont be bad, hoping to fix both of those Tuesday and Wednesday.

After that it should be good to go for a while. As far as mods go, the truck will likely stay close to stock. The Fx4 package came with 4.10 gears, a stout LSD 8.8, some skids, and it sits pretty high. After all of the problems are fixed I'm start looking for used caps to put on it, so that I can build a sleeping platform. The bed is 6', I laid down in it, and though it's not ideal I think it will do. I'm also throwing around the idea of getting a small teardrop style trailer to drag behind it.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys, i'm looking forward to getting out in the wilderness again.

Socal4X4

Great choice!!!

I think you will really like that Ranger!!! I have the same truck/year, bought brand new, and love it!!! I have changed out the hubs twice, the transmission 3 times and the stupid rubber tube under the intake twice. To be honest, running 33/12.5 tires though the dunes and over the rock trails (making sure my Jeep buddies couldn't talk crap!!!) and having a lead foot did the damage. Also the fact that once I hit an on-ramp to the freeway I put the peddle to the floor. All those added up to tranny issues. Haven't had any problems since I put a shift kit in (real cheap to do). Again, you are going to love it!!! If you EVER start having weird issues with the motor (runs funny, moose noises, won't idle) do a search for the rubber elbow under the intake tube. Takes only a couple minutes and $10 to fix. If you are smart and look for it instead of putting your truck into a shop for services it did NOT need...like I did. ENJOY!!!more flex.jpgShortcut.JPGIMG_0284.JPG

One more thing!!! It took over ten years of abuse, but somehow the bolts on the left side of my torsen L/S started to back out and tear up the retaining caps inside my rear diff. Took me way to long to figure it out, but I did replace it. Prob not a normal issue by any means, just a heads up.

StrykerX

Great Lakes Xterras
At the moment I'm driving a 2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 that I picked up for cheap, but the transmission is pretty rough (manual trans -whines, occasional grinds, clunks on 1-2 and 2-3 shift), the front end pulls no matter what I replace, and it has some weird ABS issues, so I'm sort of ruling this out at my vehicle to start building off of.

Slighty off topic regarding your weird ABS issues, does ABS kick on randomly while stopping about when the speedometer hits about 10 mph?

Congrats on finding a new rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior