Goodyear Announces a new variant of the MT/R

jfarsang

Adventurer
Directional means that looking from the front, both tires (with a different tread pattern from left to right side of the tire) look identical from side to side when they are rotating in the same direction. You'll see an arrow or marker on the side of the tire indicating forward direction.

Non-directional / asymetrical means that one tire (with a different tread pattern from left to right side of the tire) is facing the opposite direction of the other side tire and are rotating in the same direction.

Both cases, when you drive away on anything soft and look at the imprint, both sides look identical.

Goodyear MTR Kevlar's are not directional. They are non-directional/asymetrical tires.

You rotate them just like any other tire.

There are many many road tires that have this asymetrical design. It's not a new design pattern.

It works well with this one.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Directional means that looking from the front, both tires (with a different tread pattern from left to right side of the tire) look identical from side to side when they are rotating in the same direction. You'll see an arrow or marker on the side of the tire indicating forward direction.

Non-directional / asymetrical means that one tire (with a different tread pattern from left to right side of the tire) is facing the opposite direction of the other side tire and are rotating in the same direction.

Both cases, when you drive away on anything soft and look at the imprint, both sides look identical.

Goodyear MTR Kevlar's are not directional. They are non-directional/asymetrical tires.

You rotate them just like any other tire.

There are many many road tires that have this asymetrical design. It's not a new design pattern.

It works well with this one.

And that's how y'all say it in A-Murrickin English... :victory:
...sorry...

I am digging these tires. Have I said that already?

jfarsang

Adventurer
It's been a while that I've had these on.

The more I drive with them, the more I love 'em both on/off road.

I cannot believe how well they stick to pavement in dry/wet conditions. Much much better than my last two sets of AT's, albeit a touch louder.

Went through a nice ravine filled with water n' mud. Ended up actually floating sideways. I swear these things have paddles on them.

Keeping up the thumbs on this one.:safari-rig:

jfarsang

Adventurer
Bumping this up.

When I bought them back in April, the only two things that I was skeptical about was tread life (like the old MTR's) and performance in winter (ice/snow).

I've done a few long distance trips and a number of logging road/chunky rock trips and the tread looks close to new.

Also I have now driven for the past 2 weeks in the snow up in Whistler.

I will never buy another set of tires.

These have surpassed my expectations on ice/slush and in deep snow on logging roads.

2 things to keep in mind. They are heavy tires so make sure they are balanced properly and your wheel alignment is good.

Cheers guys
Jesse

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
...These may be a good replacement for my Toyos. The only complaint I have about the Toyos is they are load rating E so they are kinda stiff. These Goodyears come in a C and D rating for a 35 inch tire.

The E range Toyos can be run with variable pressure depending on load. I run mine at 55 psi when not towing, and at 65 psi towing my 4500 lb. Airstream. You can go to max pressure (80 psi) for big loads, No ride or wear problems with the lower inflation levels.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Bumping this up.

When I bought them back in April, the only two things that I was skeptical about was tread life (like the old MTR's) and performance in winter (ice/snow).

I've done a few long distance trips and a number of logging road/chunky rock trips and the tread looks close to new.

Also I have now driven for the past 2 weeks in the snow up in Whistler.

I will never buy another set of tires.

These have surpassed my expectations on ice/slush and in deep snow on logging roads.

2 things to keep in mind. They are heavy tires so make sure they are balanced properly and your wheel alignment is good.

Cheers guys
Jesse

I too love this tire and I swore I'd never buy another Goodyear tire after bad out of round experiences with three other GY MT/R (non-Kevlar version) sets.

But it is a great tire! And although heavy the Toyo MT is heavier. About 10K on them to date with LOTS of off-road use. I finally got to test them out in 12" of snow we received overnight with ice underneath and they are great as you stated!

The strange (to me anyway) thing: As the sharp edges have worn off the tire has actually gotten quieter. The loudest they are happens to be in the 35-40mph range but then they get quieter all the way to 65+mph! Granted their not quite AT quiet but for an MT I am very, very impressed with their relative quietness. Strange for a true MT tread tire.

jfarsang

Adventurer
13,000 miles and going strong.

Tread life is amazing for a soft compound.

Tracks excellent in rain, snow, slush.

Ice is 'okay' which is obvious. It's not a dedicated snow/ice tire, but it's predictable which is important to me in the winter.

On roads with black ice, it's comparable to my yokohama at's a few years ago.

I love these tires.

They are the best All Terrain tire I've driven on. They are not a fullon mud tire, but more aggressive for an AT. Kind of in between.

Just make sure you rotate them religiously.

rparker762

Observer
I have run the MT/Rs of the past and loved them and had the same expectations of these. I have always liked the sidewall strength and thats the reason why I have always chose them. So far these have run everything I have thrown at them and beg for more and I dont care where I place them, they hold up. Also, even though the sidewalls are tougher, they can flex.

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
22,000 miles on mine and they're still the best tires I've ever run.
Not as good as Super Swampers in mud, not as good as a Blizzak on ice, but they're exceptional on the rocks and good at everything else.
The best surprise is the grip on wet asphalt.

072.jpg

7wt

Expedition Leader
I am still torn between these and the KM2's. I read cool aid drinkers on both sides and it confuses me to no end. I normally am a "let's pull the trigger and find out kind" kind of guy but that is a hard attitude to carry over to $1200 tires.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I am still torn between these and the KM2's. I read cool aid drinkers on both sides and it confuses me to no end. I normally am a "let's pull the trigger and find out kind" kind of guy but that is a hard attitude to carry over to $1200 tires.
I've watched them side-by-side on the trails and the difference is negligible.
I'm hoping that the Kevlar is making a difference though. This is the longest I've run a set of tires without a single flat... (knocking wood)

7wt

Expedition Leader
The only thing keeping me from trying these are the tread life reports on the previous version. I like they way the look and the concept behind them. I like the fact that some people just can't seem to get the directional thing out of their heads. I even like the side walls. They look killer on parker's blazer!

just eric

Adventurer
The only thing keeping me from trying these are the tread life reports on the previous version. I like they way the look and the concept behind them. I like the fact that some people just can't seem to get the directional thing out of their heads. I even like the side walls. They look killer on parker's blazer!

I'm running the previous generation MT/Rs on my FJ cruiser (size 285/75 16). I had them siped when I purchased them and they have run flawlessly for me over the past 20k miles. They currently have 16/32 of tread depth remaining (originally 19/32) and there has been no chunking to speak of. I have run them on rocks and forest trails around the PNW but the majority of the miles have been on the road. I expect to get at least another ~15k miles out of these, not bad for a MT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman