Got a free trailer!! Now what to do with it??

rbkelley89

Observer
i got a trailer for free from my grandpa and haven't decided how im going to set it up just yet i like that its long enough to fit a dirtbike into it but i also would like to build a full camp trailer but not sure if i will shorten it to setup up for rock crawling. here it is i just cut off the fenders to try and mount my 35" tires but the hub is too large to fit my spacers on. does anyone have an idea of what to do other than trade for some correct size wheels? I know i also want to extend the tongue and put either a Lynnette eye or build a custom 3 axis pivot hitch. Ive got 2 storage boxes for free i can put on the tongue as well for storage then i can decide if i want to shorten the box. I was wondering if i can flip this axle to make a sort of portal axle it doesn't have a bend its strait all the way across. anyways heres some pictures of the project what im really wanting to know is the axle flip or spring over or new axle and what should i do with the hubs to get my spare 35's on there. It is constructed mostly of angle iron but i think its beefy enough to hold up to some basic camping loads. And id like to replace the wood siding with some metal siding and redo the floor, and make a new swing open tailgate.

ACON

replace wood with steel. lower top rail, build cover, replace axle, rewire lights, paint, enjoy.

oh, replace hitch with something stronger than a ball.

rbkelley89

Observer
replace wood with steel. lower top rail, build cover, replace axle, rewire lights, paint, enjoy.

oh, replace hitch with something stronger than a ball.

what kind of axle should i source? would a lunette eye work okay or is there another option that you would suggest?

rustED

Adventurer
If you don't have a trailer parts supplier locally, you can buy spindles, hubs (to match your wheels that you have)& bearings online, and just buy some tubing locally to build your own axel to whatever width you need. Save some $$$ on shipping. I wish I had gone that route.

rbkelley89

Observer
If you don't have a trailer parts supplier locally, you can buy spindles, hubs (to match your wheels that you have)& bearings online, and just buy some tubing locally to build your own axel to whatever width you need. Save some $$$ on shipping. I wish I had gone that route.

ive got a tractor trailer supply local ill take some measurements and go check out the axles they have im not sure what needs to be done to make an axle just went on the spindles to a dom tube and then fasten all the bearings and hubs? Sorry ive never worked on a trailer before so i'm learning
Also what would be some suitable steel to use for the sides

rbkelley89

Observer
I don't know what kinda axle you need but I bought from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151290685949?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

He can get you anything you want and run sales a lot. I got mine for $183, lowest I have seen him sale them was $168 that is axle, springs, hard ware, hubs of yours choice installed. All with free shipping.

nice thanks im going to check him out. I went down to tractor supply today and looked at their axles and hardware, they had a 58" axle for like 138 that complete but my current one is ~61" id like to go to at least 63" for the additional width on my 35" 12.50's. so i will check out the guy you said or i will look into making my own with spinds hubs kit etc. ANyone know what size dom id is needed for most spindles i guess it just depends, and does anyone have any articles or walkthroughs they can point me to to help with welding a spindle onto a tube id assume the outside gets welded maybe a few drill holes to get the inner stuff welded as well. Also what gauge metal does well for siding, and how should i go about extending the tounge, i feel like id be better off redoing the frame with boxed tube but that would be a lot more costly should i just somehow sleeve a 2,1/4" box tube for the extension ? thanks for the help guys im excited to start.

HAFICON

Adventurer
This is just my opinion as I am still learning as well.

Extending the tongue - I think it would be better to just chop this one off looks like it is built from angle and channel. If it were me I would get some square tubing and replace it all together that is if the current tongue is not usable.

As for sheet metal I did 16 gauge for the side walls, again if it were mine I would chop the top off right above the wood that lower rail going around could be useful.. One of two options have the wood sprayed or rolled with bed liner, or replace it with sheet metal. I don't see having the wood treated being any cheaper then buying metal.

Really looks to have some potential let us know what you end up doing.

rustED

Adventurer
nice thanks im going to check him out. I went down to tractor supply today and looked at their axles and hardware, they had a 58" axle for like 138 that complete but my current one is ~61" id like to go to at least 63" for the additional width on my 35" 12.50's. so i will check out the guy you said or i will look into making my own with spinds hubs kit etc. ANyone know what size dom id is needed for most spindles i guess it just depends, and does anyone have any articles or walkthroughs they can point me to to help with welding a spindle onto a tube id assume the outside gets welded maybe a few drill holes to get the inner stuff welded as well. Also what gauge metal does well for siding, and how should i go about extending the tounge, i feel like id be better off redoing the frame with boxed tube but that would be a lot more costly should i just somehow sleeve a 2,1/4" box tube for the extension ? thanks for the help guys im excited to start.

If I could do my axel over I would have used square spindles and square tubing. Seems like it would be easier mounting the leaf spring perches and keeping each side squared up with each other. For my trailer sides I'm using 14 gauge.

Here's a link to the build thread I got the pics from, it's a really good read. Axel build starts on post# 65. Hope this is helpful.

rbkelley89

Observer
If I could do my axel over I would have used square spindles and square tubing. Seems like it would be easier mounting the leaf spring perches and keeping each side squared up with each other. For my trailer sides I'm using 14 gauge.

Here's a link to the build thread I got the pics from, it's a really good read. Axel build starts on post# 65. Hope this is helpful.

oh yeah that looks like the ticket right there where the link though? Thanks for the info since i will most likley be rebuilding the frame i will be buying a few feet of square tubing so hopefully i can get the same size and use for the axle thats a great idea i didnt even know they made square spindles thanks

rustED

Adventurer
oh yeah that looks like the ticket right there where the link though? Thanks for the info since i will most likley be rebuilding the frame i will be buying a few feet of square tubing so hopefully i can get the same size and use for the axle thats a great idea i didnt even know they made square spindles thanks

Oops, sorry about that, lol, here's the link: http://www.yotatech.com/f88/my-camping-trailer-project-219053/index4.html
Yeah if I decide to change mine to trailing arms suspension later, I'm going to go this route with the square spindles.

rbkelley89

Observer
I started taking measurements of my current trailer today to help figure out the plans for a new frame and total length of materials i need to purchase. I modeled with 2x2 square tube, i think i should bump this up to a larger size so i can easily accommodate a 2" hitch mount right into the square tube, what size would that be 2,1/4" with .125 wall. Will a 2" receiver mount fit that size tube?
The box is 72" Long ~48" wide
The attachment point to the front of the box is 32" so 104" total
I have an 36" long 18" wide Box i want to put on the front so i think that extending the frame ~ 18" i can add this box and still have 180 deg of trailer movement before it makes contact with my jeep.
Here is the boxes i want to add the black on bottom folds down and the box on top opens from the top. These are both locking boxes and would be a great place to add batteries etc.
2015-01-15 15.42.17.jpg
Axle is about 61" wide currently i will be looking to get around a 64" axle to account for the wider tires

anyways here is the beginning of the work. I am heading back to school so this project will not get finished for a while but id like to slowly work on it. I found a hobart 135 amp 110 v mig welder at work will this be enough to complete the welding on a project like this? it does 3/16th with flux core and i would bevel everything but im still not sure if id get great penetration without more amperage.

Screenshot (208).jpg
Screenshot (210).jpg

Screenshot (211).jpg

colorado matt

Adventurer
been following along .... now that you have made the decision to build a frame and sounds like your going to build and axle ... will all this just sorta slide under the old trailer to beef it up .... or is less and less of the original trailer being used now ????

1v6pony

Adventurer
No, find a buddy that has a larger welder, you are welding 1/4 and 3/16 steel, You can use the hobart for attaching the smaller sheet metal and such.
i am redoing a utility trailer also.

ive got a tractor trailer supply local ill take some measurements and go check out the axles they have im not sure what needs to be done to make an axle just went on the spindles to a dom tube and then fasten all the bearings and hubs? Sorry ive never worked on a trailer before so i'm learning
Also what would be some suitable steel to use for the sides

Reduce the weight by using aluminum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger