Got Scammed by SAMUE

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The problem with Paypal now is people are shying away from goods and services due to PP’s 1099 reporting. Another forum I frequent had to resort to paid membership only to see the WTB section because scamming got so bad.
That and the hefty transaction fee which you can avoid with the friends and family side

Hegear

I sold a camper recently and they buyer asked for me to show him the camper via video chat. A good idea I think! At least you know they have what they are selling. Just a tip.

huntsonora

Explorer
A friend of mine from Texas got scammed last month for a rifle scope and the address he sent funds to was just 35 minutes from me here in Colorado. I went to their door and told them I needed the money back or federal law enforcement would come and go through their entire trailer and turn their lives upside down. They paid me the entire amount in two installments and I was able to Venmo the cash back to my friend.

Worked out because we at least had an address to attach to them

highwest

That and the hefty transaction fee which you can avoid with the friends and family side
I’ve noticed that PayPal has recently upped their fees, which is a bummer, but cheap insurance to not get ripped off. I always offer to pay the fees when I’m not buying something face-to-face. Looks like Venmo has cheaper buyer protection fees by ~1.5%.

ThundahBeagle

Sorry this happened to you.

Couple things i pay attention to when entering into transactions on forums.

How long they have been a member on the forum.

and

What is their post count.

I feel like people who have been around a while are likely not gonna be a scammer, this seems to be especially true if they have made a contribution to the forum.

It's not a perfect way of vetting, but it's a pretty easy to go.

Have you inquired of your bank? Sometimes they will reimburse you for fraud.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Oddly, the more machines and computers take over, the more human interaction is needed to confound those who would exploit the technology

Florida Native

I’ve noticed that PayPal has recently upped their fees, which is a bummer, but cheap insurance to not get ripped off. I always offer to pay the fees when I’m not buying something face-to-face. Looks like Venmo has cheaper buyer protection fees by ~1.5%.

This is what I do as well as a buyer. And when I’m selling I price my item accordingly to cover the fees.

-Mike

johnnyno5

The problem with Paypal now is people are shying away from goods and services due to PP’s 1099 reporting. Another forum I frequent had to resort to paid membership only to see the WTB section because scamming got so bad.

If the payment is split up into amounts of $599 or less, then it doesn't have to be reported to the IRS, right?

jmmaxus

Escrow.com seems like a good option for high dollar item transactions, it basically takes security of the transaction to the next level beyond PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Yea Zelle is a scammers favorite. They also try to scam when buying your goods. They send money through Zelle. Then say it didnt go through because your account can’t accept that amount so they send more and ask for the difference back.

I absolutely hate these types of people.

hatidua

This sort of thing has sadly infected pretty much any online forum that has a classified section. The scammers wouldn't do it if it didn't work. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan