Got Scammed by SAMUE

pith helmet

Many forums have a ‘minimum post rule’ where new members must have at least X number of posts in other sub forums before they can access the classifieds. Not a bad rule.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Many forums have a ‘minimum post rule’ where new members must have at least X number of posts in other sub forums before they can access the classifieds. Not a bad rule.

I was seriously considering posting a question on this topic in the Help section. On the one hand, I definitely see an advantage to only wanting real or "seasoned" members to be able to post classifieds - We spend a lot of time coaching new members to follow all the guidelines, and I really hate it when someone makes a new account to list their truck for sale, then never comes back to answer questions because they ended up selling it locally.

On the other hand, a minimum post count can contribute to junk posts - someone just trying to run up to the minimum, and might discourage actually viable members from signing up. It also could narrow the pool of potential buyers for a listing from "all lurkers" down to just "forum members", though whether that's good or bad could be debated.

pith helmet

I was seriously considering posting a question on this topic in the Help section. On the one hand, I definitely see an advantage to only wanting real or "seasoned" members to be able to post classifieds - We spend a lot of time coaching new members to follow all the guidelines, and I really hate it when someone makes a new account to list their truck for sale, then never comes back to answer questions because they ended up selling it locally.

On the other hand, a minimum post count can contribute to junk posts - someone just trying to run up to the minimum, and might discourage actually viable members from signing up. It also could narrow the pool of potential buyers for a listing from "all lurkers" down to just "forum members", though whether that's good or bad could be debated.

Good points.
Maybe some combination of things that would demonstrate a presence that would make scammers less likely. Even being a long time lurker shows someone has been around that probably isn’t just waiting in the wings to perpetrate a scam.
But, as always Buyer Beware….if it sounds too good to be true…..
708A0782-66F9-4936-81D6-FC7DB22C6F61.jpeg

K9LTW

As someone mentioned earlier...including a datestamped note with username is commonly required in other forums' buy/sell areas for items that aren't local pick-up. Seems to work pretty well. I don't even use craigslist anymore due to the ONLY responses I get are from scammers...and always within the first 48 hours of posting something. While FB Marketplace hasn't been full of scammers for me, it's evident that our education system is in need of drastic overhaul due to the constant "Where are you located?" (read the ad), "Will it fit XYZ?" (read the ad), or any plethora of stupid questions (read...the...ad).

kennygoesoutside

i'm new to the forum and i'm about to sell a dometic cfx 95 i that i used once thats a month old, for sure a higher dollar item. I think i'm going to limit my transaction to local only. I appreciated this thread.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Another GOOD REASON IF YOU are unable or unwilling (the later is usually the situation) to go personally meet the seller and purchase the item in person you should NOT be looking for that item/vehicle outside of your local area.

This is particularly true with used vehicle purchases.

The ability of finding anything you want in this world on the internet wherever it is located makes it much easier for you loose your money to a scammer who will play on your wants and desires.

GREED is Good!

GREED is Right!

Quote from Gordon Gekko.

4RunAmok

Explorer
New Member/Post count isn't always a bad sign, a good friend of mine is looking to sell his brand new Zero23 RTT, and I suggested he post it here for the best exposure in SoCal, but he had to sign up. This is the best audience, but not everyone is signed up.

1cambo

A friend of mine from Texas got scammed last month for a rifle scope and the address he sent funds to was just 35 minutes from me here in Colorado. I went to their door and told them I needed the money back or federal law enforcement would come and go through their entire trailer and turn their lives upside down. They paid me the entire amount in two installments and I was able to Venmo the cash back to my friend.

Worked out because we at least had an address to attach to them
thats awesome, and you sir are a good friend!!!!

1cambo

Another GOOD REASON IF YOU are unable or unwilling (the later is usually the situation) to go personally meet the seller and purchase the item in person you should NOT be looking for that item/vehicle outside of your local area.

This is particularly true with used vehicle purchases.

The ability of finding anything you want in this world on the internet wherever it is located makes it much easier for you loose your money to a scammer who will play on your wants and desires.

GREED is Good!

GREED is Right!

Quote from Gordon Gekko.
sometimes good deals are just too far away, I bought a portable fridge off a member here a while back, he was/is in West Virginia if memory serves, I am in BC , Canada and all went well. There were phone numbers exchanged and $ was done via etransfer . I was a bit scared when he told me he was a federal law enforcement officer.....

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Another thing forum administrators should consider. Over at FordRaptorForum and I think others, new members with 0 posts are not allowed to private message right away. Just got a private message asking me to email some other guy having exactly what I need for sale, sounds suspicious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior