Gratemates....is there a comprable stateside product?

fasteddy47

Adventurer
The tread plates are available at most metal suppliers. I bought mine from Metal SuperMarket here in Canada.

Cheers
Eddy

Chrisbuilt

The aluminum ramps are also used as loading ramps and decking on commercial car hauling rigs. (drove em for 5 years). We used 12" wide ramps 6' long and never had an issue with new Diesel E350, F350 or F450 driving on them every day. The would bow a bit but they always came back to shape. Just don't drag them for 100 miles @ 60 mph on the freeway, they tend to shrink.

Something like this pic. Google Cottrell trailers
ramp1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone, excuse the autocorrect.

fifty

Adventurer
Any news on the test of the testing of the heavy truck on the gratemates?....or the aluminums with a heavy rig?

loren85022

Explorer
Unsophisticated Testing of 48" grates

Below is my testing of 2 48"x12"x2" fiberglass grates. Each weighs 16 lbs. My test is definitely not scientific, but I'm now confident they'll provide ample support in the field.

First off, I dont know how much my 2008 e-150 V8 Quigley 4WD weighs. I had it weighed when we installed the nearly 400lb wheelchair lift at the side doors, but I cant locate the papers this weekend. I'll post the weight when I find the docs, but I'm sure many here can make a good guess.

I started out wanting this type of sand/mud boards because I thought they would also double as a deck for our outdoor shower. The aluminum ones may also work well for this.

Test A, I doubled up the boards and backed the van on top. Crushed the cinder blocks but the grates showed little stress. The span is about 33".
Grate Test-0001.jpg
Test B is same rear tire with just one grate. The grate definitely made some high pitched 'popping' sounds as the tire got to the mid-way point but not near as much sag as I expected. The photo shows a yard stick for scale.
Grate Test-0007.jpg
Test C is in the front of the van. As I assume the front end is somewhat heavier, I doubled the grates again to start. The tire shoved the grates a bit so you can see my span is probably only 25-27".
Grate Test-0008.jpg
OK, so here is the finale. One heavy-******** van sitting atop one grate with a span greater than 36". Interestingly, the board no longer popped when the tire rolled out to the middle.
Grate Test-0009.jpg
We inched it across the whole span. It appeared to be in no way close to failure. I can see no signs of fatigue on the boards.
Grate Test-0010.jpg
Grate Test-0014.jpg
Grate Test-0019.jpg
Further testing should probably include a grate under both tires at once, but I'm at least confident that if I needed to use the grate to improve my angles or get myself out of a jam, they'll hold up. I suspect a fully decked SMB would be another 1000-3000 lbs. I now wish I could try the same test with some 1-1/2" thick boards. Reducing the weight from 16 to 12 lbs would be nice if they'd be strong enough.

I plan to stow the 2 grates as a raised shelf behind the back seat. It's still evolving in my head but I'll store my recovery gear under the shelf and travel gear on top. I'll make some legs that mount somewhat like a peg board into the grate.

At roughly $100/board, they aint cheap but if I can utilyze them for numerous camp features, and also know I have one more option for getting myself home, i'd say they were a good add-on.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

LACamper

Adventurer
I've been thinking about these also. I spotted behind an abandoned restaurant the other day a few of the plastic trays that bread is delivered on. Bridging isn't an issue here (LA/MS) but getting stuck in sand is. I may give one of these a try if they are still there next week.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...Comments and suggestions welcome.
Thank you! Mirrored my testing exactly. Great job!
The cost will soon be forgotten. These will outlast you for sure. I have no regrets about purchasing mine.

I too use them for multiple camp needs. Be aware that you end up with "waffle butt" using them as a bench ;)
They make an awesome table for campfire cooking. No worries about scorching them with a hot pan.
I found them to be too hard on my tender bare feet for my shower. I made a new shower mat. I used 1.3x1.3 redwood fencing material purchased from Home depot. It is already the perfect length. I sorted through and picked out the best pieces of wood. A bag of large wood beads. A pack of cord locks and some 3/16" or 1/4" rope/cord. Three holes drilled in each piece of wood. Strung with cord and separated with the beads. Thread one bead over the cord and double it through each, separating them with a bead. Cords are left long enough to roll up the mat. Once laid down and the cord tightened with the locks it makes a great mat and much easier on the feet. :)

mat1.JPG
mat2.JPG

fifty

Adventurer
Cool! Thanks for the test! I am about to order something. I was dead set on the grate mates, but that aluminum stair threw a wrench in my plans.
I can't really imagine I would notice a difference between either product to be honest. Just the stair being so light sounded nice. Especially when struggling with a stuck truck.

Anyways, thanks for the test! Hopefully someone can throw a heavy truck on a stair. If I can find one local, I will.

jeepj667

Observer
The stairs don't look like they would work for bridging, to me. Using the cinder block test for example. The stair treads would be holding all the weight on two roughly 1/4" strips 10" apart. with no support in the middle of the tread. I see both ends flattening out and the tread bending in the middle. The profile going from a C channel to a squashed M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12