Great Site wish I found it sooner

RHINO

Expedition Leader
in a way it might have been good to not found this site during the build,,,, i think the one downfall to all these sites is folks tend to start homogenizing with parts and builds when they see what others are doing. but its a small downside to the availability of knowledge and sharing that goes on here.

great job on the build !!

jcbrandon

Explorer
When I read your first post I was picturing something built out of a bunch of individual 40mm ammo cans. Sort of a surplus Lego-block trailer. I sometimes have similar ideas after a couple of beverages in my shop.

Then I saw your pictures. Yow! And the clay-bird trap rocks.

I often comb my local surplus yard hoping to find some sort of big lockable box to build a trailer around. The only things I've found are composite air-travel containers. Not what I have in mind.

Excellent work.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Ca. Bowhunter said:
Hello,

This place is great I just found it today. I'm just finishing a project made from a 40 mm ammo can that I got from work . With a few whisky sours and advice from all the wrong friends this is what I built. I will be stopping by alot.

Randy

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/cabowhunter/DCP_2630.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/cabowhunter/DSC00663.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/cabowhunter/DSC00646.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/cabowhunter/DSC00640.jpg

cabowhunter,

I'm really enjoying looking at all of the pictures of your trailer and thanks for adding in one of the suspension. Good to hear that it is passing the high speed desert testing.

May I ask for another favor? When you post the link for your picture from PhotoBucket use the last link in the list below your picture. This should be the one labeled "IMG Code". If you do this the pictures will appear directly in your post and readers won't need to click on each individual link and wait for it to open in a new window.

The shooting looks like fun. What brand is the bird thrower that you plug into the rear reciever hitch of the trailer?

Keep up the good work!!

Mike

TheGillz

Explorer
CLICK FREE!
DCP_2630.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

NO CLICKY!

Ca. Bowhunter

Adventurer
Just got home from a test run and it went great . Need to wash the truck/ trailer and clean the shot guns. The reason I didn't post the photo's is that most site's don't have the server space to let full size photo's. But I will correct that.
Answers to questions
The thrower is built by Do-All-Traps
It weights 640 Lbs.
and after seeing the universal type hitches that are available I will be changing that out very soon.

P.S. The D-Rings I welded to the rear rattle like crazy any advice here?

Randy

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:26_7_2: Well, bowhunter, I've used some 1" magnetic strip (1/16 thk) and I can't ID it any more, but some guys have used black PCV or section of garden hose--

--This won't help you THAT MUCH, but if they're 3/4 inch shackles, you need a cushion wrapped around the shackle BOLT--

--

--Look close and you'll see what I'm talking about !!

--That yellow nylon rope shows a method of securing ,to the shackle when you don't need much heavier strap and that will double the breaking strength, of the rope, AT THE KNOT !!

--OH, thats the only pic of my shackles I've got and of course, the rope has nothing to do with silence of the shackles

--:gunt: -good luck--JIMBO

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Great, another FSJ to drool over and be jealous of. Way to wreck my awesome weekend.:mad: Just kiding of course, thats an awesome rig and a real sweet trailer.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
First thing I would do is put the shocks on the trailer, looking at the video it's bouncing like crazy. Alot of the shackle noise will fade there. The rope idea looks like it would do the trick.

Info on the F/S Cherokee, Please lol...
Engine? Trans? etc... Very nice set up.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Ca. Bowhunter said:
P.S. The D-Rings I welded to the rear rattle like crazy any advice here?

Randy

After looking at the placement and style of the D-Rings I think I would try two things. First i would take and split some heater hose of he correct ID and slip it over each leg of each of the D-Rings. A twist of wire or a zip tie should keep them from falling off. I would also look into securing them with some bungie cords after the rubber treatment.

So first eleminate the metal to metal contact. Second, eleminate the movement.

Nice videos. Thanks for posting.

Mike

airlaird

Bouncing ?

OK, guys I'm new to the trailer thing. WHY is it bouncing so much??
Is it because it has coil springs...or is it just too light???. Are leaf spings a better set up than coil springs?
airlaird

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
airlaird said:
OK, guys I'm new to the trailer thing. WHY is it bouncing so much??
Is it because it has coil springs...or is it just too light???. Are leaf spings a better set up than coil springs?
airlaird

My guess would be the lack of shocks. Both coil and leaf springs will bounce a bunch unless you dampen the bounce with shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior