GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Forgot to add the work I did tonight. I managed to finish off the tongue extension this evening. I extended the chains and got the safety gear all sorted out, I then sorted out the trailer wiring and got that installed and then I was all set to go for the test drive. DOH, got dark. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, will test it then I guess?

20121008_175658_zps81a0af4d.jpg

20121008_175635_zps1644ec79.jpg

Clears the swing out tire carrier by about 3 inches, and I can now not only get in there to get my stuff, but I can jackknife all day long! lol I also prepped and repainted the CDN military surplus Scepter Fuel Cans I picked up. Great deal...beat to hell. These obviously saw a lot of sand and a lot of action, really heavily sun faded and scratched to hell. No finished pics, HATE the green I painted them (Krylon Fusion Lawn Chair Green) as I was unable to get the OD I was looking for. Will leave them masked and buy the OD when it is back in stock.

20121008_163810_zps67de0dbc.jpg

20121008_163802_zps1d728cb2.jpg

I also looked a little more into the wiring I have. I still need to finish the lighting and get the battery charging set up from the truck to the trailer. I also still have to mount the 1000 Watt inverter and somehow plan for a solar controller in there too? Maybe that can wait until next year? I had to reseal the tongue box too, on our break in trip (pics below) I had a lot of dust get in to the box...no good. I found I had not sealed the back of the box well enough. Fixed that today and I am now happy with the job.

Break in trip:

Mike and I headed to Cowichan Lake for the weekend of September 15/16/17th. I say the 17th too as I took the Monday off as well! We headed out around noon, and got to the camp spot around 3:30. Trailer towed like a dream, roads were dusty as HELL and I had a blast following Mike along the FSR. We set up camp and chilled for a few days in the woods. BBQ steaks, beers and bros (and a few really amazingly good Cuban cigars too). I personally managed to finish 2/3 of a bottle of port along the way! lol

20120924_122015_zps3f7f9767.jpg

20120923_141515_zps48eb3cf7.jpg

20120922_175832_zpsc68ffe61.jpg

20120922_094755_zps33ccbbb3.jpg

20120923_131614_zps043a3fa0.jpg

Mikes setup

20120923_174904_zps95d7904d.jpg

Time to go... packed up ready to rock.

20120924_113422_zps3afe20f6.jpg

20120924_113432_zpsd896fcbf.jpg

Thoughts on the first trip are as follows. Trailer worked great for what it was. What I need, on demand HW, an on board tank with pump, a "kitchen" space of some description (chuck box maybe) and I really needed the gas struts installed!! Lid lifts with very little effort with the RTT deployed, closed however...ugh. The CVT Mt Hood was amazing. Roomy, warm, comfortable and was a pleasure to camp in. I am very pleased with my RTT purchase, and LOVED the interior lighting I put in. Stellar add on I must say. Lid didn't creak or make a sound, VERY solid and well made. Mounting it to the lid directly was great, way better than mounting it to a rack system as I do not ever plan on taking this off the lid so why the added weight and $$? The on board power was excellent too, once all completed it will be superb no doubt.

USB phone charger (fused of course)

20120922_094825_zpsdf0cd174.jpg

Power dist box with a switch on top for the tongue box internal LED lights

20120922_094807_zps24f2febf.jpg

sealed marine power plug for tent power

20120922_094840_zps4f4333a1.jpg

Inner lid light (same as RTT light strip)

20120922_094857_zpsb4ff7e67.jpg

More soon!!

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Where did you get the LED light you are using?

I can usually find Fusion in Olive Drab at my local auto parts. Do you have any detail on the rear shelf you built?

Edit: nevermind on the shelf... I just realized that is a different trailer.

hesterj

Adventurer
Good to see you got a thread going on the trailer. It is looking fantastic.

I gotta know where you came up with the USB port. It is exactly what is needed in my chuckbox.
You know...bacon,eggs,& a dead iPhone. As regular as me after coffee. :)

.....and where is the beer opener? Every self respecting (can't spell that without singing it) trailer MUST have one,right?

grimbo

Explorer
Wow, great job. Really nice finishing.

I must get around to building a tongue extension like yours

VanIsle_Greg

Where did you get the LED light you are using?

I can usually find Fusion in Olive Drab at my local auto parts. Do you have any detail on the rear shelf you built?

Edit: nevermind on the shelf... I just realized that is a different trailer.

The LED light strip came from Princess Auto and was $19.00. Pretty good quality too, happy with the price vs. form and function. I will post a closeup pic, and see if I can find the make and model (was labaled as their house brand).

Good to see you got a thread going on the trailer. It is looking fantastic.

I gotta know where you came up with the USB port. It is exactly what is needed in my chuckbox.
You know...bacon,eggs,& a dead iPhone. As regular as me after coffee. :)

.....and where is the beer opener? Every self respecting (can't spell that without singing it) trailer MUST have one,right?

First mod to the trailer after the paint was dry...

20120811_155956.jpg

The USB charger is also from Princess Auto (love that place) and is the Certified brand. You can probably find it online, and you cn certainly find it on the Princess Auto website. They were only $6.99 each and it works great. Nice tight cap, long power cord and pretty good quality. It works great to charge my Samsung Galaxy SIIX.

Still havent tested out the tongue extension on the road...kids/soccer/early dark....ugh.

TheJosh

Explorer
beautiful build!! youve given me tons of ideas, i really love how nice the wood top came out and good job painting!

andysgreenxj

Observer
Greg, first off, just wanna say that your trailer looks just plain old awesome!!! ive read through several builds on this and a couple other forums, and yours ranks up there with many of the others as being just brilliant!!! Im also from B.C., I was born in Vancouver, then lived on the Island til i was in my early teens...what part of Victoria do you live in? my Dad moved back out there several years ago, and im planning a trip for next spring. Unfortunatly, i probably wont be able to drive my XJ and trailer out, as its a long way from here...:(

Andy

VanIsle_Greg

Hey Andy,
I am right in Victoria, Saanich actually. Very nice place Vancouver Island, I would find it hard to leave here. Upstate NY is a very long drive in an XJ...or anything for that matter. lol Thanks for the compliments, like you I followed a TON of builds, and came up with my version based off of what I saw online.

Look me up when you are out this way man, and thanks again!
Greg

Cody1771

Explorer
wow can't believe the hours gone into this! changes your perspective when you see it all on one page! Your Trailer ROCKS, very well thought out! now i just need to get some motivation to start mine... well my 2 trailers. is 2 trailers to much? lol

VanIsle_Greg

No 2 trailers is not too much... I have 2 as well. heh Might be getting a third, no chance I am hauling yard waste in this one anymore! lol

I have yet to add up the hours or the $ invested. I don't think I will, probably better I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle