Grilling fail

schmack13

Bought a beautiful 2.5lb, prime, tomahawk ribeye for a camping trip with my buddies. Took my tiny little Weber Smokey Joe to cook it on. Didn't even occur to me I'd have no control over the airflow with the bone sticking out of the side :ROFLMAO: ?

The crust was basically charcoal. Still ate it since we were all a few whiskeys in.

You guys have any camp cooking fail stories?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We bought prepackaged ribs from Costco once. That was a fail. Thankfully we were close to the facilities. :oops:

(Not the ones from the deli)

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Somehow forgot to puncture baked potatoes before burying them in the coals on the edge of the fire. It isn’t really a “boom”… more like a “chuff” and a geyser of hot coal/potato that ruins your food, your camp gear, and your mood.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Had more fails than I can count as a scout and leader. Kids making pudding with dried milk (never sets up without fat), trying to heat beans in the can and melting the plastic can liner into the beans. Trying to heat canned soup that had frozen and watching the steam/boil push a piston of frozen soup up at high enough velocity to make a huge mess. One Dutch oven with chili burned into it so badly that I had to clean it in my abrasive blast cabinet and restart the season on it. More burned boots, hands, and food than I can count.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Had more fails than I can count as a scout and leader. Kids making pudding with dried milk (never sets up without fat), trying to heat beans in the can and melting the plastic can liner into the beans. Trying to heat canned soup that had frozen and watching the steam/boil push a piston of frozen soup up at high enough velocity to make a huge mess. One Dutch oven with chili burned into it so badly that I had to clean it in my abrasive blast cabinet and restart the season on it. More burned boots, hands, and food than I can count.

Learned the plastic liner into chunky soup over the pocket rocket thing on a mountain pass, cold, wet and hungry....ended up eating only the crackers I brought with it.

When your steaks are done and the wind kicks up and launches the grill into the dirt.....
C2616C31-7274-40AC-B46A-CD772F1B4914.jpeg

When you spend all day looking forward to grilled filet and then have pan fry it due to a fire ban.....

5FBD9C9D-B894-44E3-8D37-557A1E2EBA54.jpeg

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Somehow forgot to puncture baked potatoes before burying them in the coals on the edge of the fire. It isn’t really a “boom”… more like a “chuff” and a geyser of hot coal/potato that ruins your food, your camp gear, and your mood.
I always wrap potatoes in HD aluminum foil and put them next to the fire but not submerged in the coals. Two for dinner and two sliced for breakfast. I've never had any exploded to date. My Smokey Joe Jr. is unbeatable but I haven't put a huge Tomahawk in there. I use the coals to light the fire for the evening. I was at Costco today. Dang,dead red's gone up.

jadmt

ignore button user
biggest fail was last year my wife prepared chicken fajitas for 6 people (all big eaters) as we were each responsible for one dinner. Our campsite was about 150 miles or so from home and at about 50 miles from the campsite she lets out that banshee wail of death and yelled " she...it I forgot the fajitas" I do 99% of the packing for camping she had one job lol. Oh well I drive fast lol.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
biggest fail was last year my wife prepared chicken fajitas for 6 people (all big eaters) as we were each responsible for one dinner. Our campsite was about 150 miles or so from home and at about 50 miles from the campsite she lets out that banshee wail of death and yelled " she...it I forgot the fajitas" I do 99% of the packing for camping she had one job lol. Oh well I drive fast lol.

At least that's better then putting the frozen chicken behind the front seat to thaw out for dinner that night only to find it a week later because you forgot it was there because you treated yourselves to a restaurant meal that night....ick......

jadmt

ignore button user
At least that's better then putting the frozen chicken behind the front seat to thaw out for dinner that night only to find it a week later because you forgot it was there because you treated yourselves to a restaurant meal that night....ick......
buddy of mine had a pound of hamburger fall out the grocery bag and some how end up under the seat where he did not see it. He car started stinking so bad it gagged you before he discovered the source. I have heard stories of a dead fish being hidden in someones car as well.

86scotty

Cynic
My favorite cooking fail came at the end of a long day of exploring off road on the Lost Coast of Northern CA our first trip out there. We pulled in to the beautiful cove at Usal Beach and watched the sun begin to set while the kids played on the beach. Just behind us 3 BIG bull elk came to investigate the amazing smelling burgers I just put on the grill while rushing to set up camp before dark. So, I was a bit distracted....

While I ran around setting up camp in typical Dad fashion my kids told me something didn't smell right. In my haste to get the grilling done I had put some beautiful overpriced deli bacon cheddar burgers on the grill without first removing the plastic wrap they came wrapped in. I didn't even notice it since they were wrapped in it AND packaged, I just dumped the package on the grill in the waning light. Anyway, too tired to dig pics out of that night but it ranks very high on our small list of near perfect campsites, even with the strange tasting burgers. Oh yeah, of course we ate them anyway after we removed bits of melted plastic from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online