Gunsight Pass Sat. Jan. 19th

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If it is a small group, I'll probably have the time. I just don't have time to follow a string of 25 Geo Trackers through there.....getting back to Tucson in the early - mid afternoon would be perfect.

Jasonazx

Adventurer
goodtimes said:
If it is a small group, I'll probably have the time. I just don't have time to follow a string of 25 Geo Trackers through there.....getting back to Tucson in the early - mid afternoon would be perfect.
Hahaha!:jumping: :costumed-smiley-007 I think we are in business then!
Btw, have you wheeled with a geo tracker? I haven't, but was just curious at what made you think of a geo tracker...:shakin:

tibaal89

Adventurer
I tried to run Gunsight Pass this morning... went out there not really knowing the route armed with my GPS that has no trails on it. Woohoo, what a great plan!

Ended up going towards Sycamore Canyon and finding a really nice, little used shelf that went up to a dead-end summit. Severe brush and pinstriping, it was a lot of fun. There weren't really even tire marks, so I don't think anybody had been there since the last rain... nothing but two tracks in the tall grass, very fun!

Maybe I'll come out with you guys so I can figure out what the actual 'Gunsight Pass' is... in the meantime here's a teaser pic.

DSCF1315.jpg

Jasonazx

Adventurer
tibaal89 said:
I tried to run Gunsight Pass this morning... went out there not really knowing the route armed with my GPS that has no trails on it. Woohoo, what a great plan!

Ended up going towards Sycamore Canyon and finding a really nice, little used shelf that went up to a dead-end summit. Severe brush and pinstriping, it was a lot of fun. There weren't really even tire marks, so I don't think anybody had been there since the last rain... nothing but two tracks in the tall grass, very fun!

Maybe I'll come out with you guys so I can figure out what the actual 'Gunsight Pass' is... in the meantime here's a teaser pic.

DSCF1315.jpg

Nice! I've done that route as well! You actually end up going into a wash and follow that awhile before climbing a hill that leads into an active quartz mine. It felt pretty back door and almost as if no one had traveled that route for awhile. I ended up having to drive out through the mines front gate.:gunt: Good thing the gate was open... Come on out with us! The signage along the trail does not correspond with Santa Rita maps and can be confusing!

Last edited:

Jasonazx

Adventurer
tibaal89 said:
Yup... it was seeeerrrrrrriously untraveled. This is what I like to see out my windshield!

DSCF1331.jpg
Yep, once you complete the series of switchbacks you end up going through a wash for awhile and come up out of it on to a hill looking down at this
n48610558_32102522_9377.jpg

and then coming down from the hill hopefully finding an open gate...
n48610558_32102523_9692.jpg

And then finally
n48610558_32102524_3.jpg

And then you have to get out
n48610558_32102525_313.jpg

I felt like a pretty big idiot, but after a few hours driving down into sycamore canyon, then through the wash I wasn't about to turn around and do it all over again. I was prepared with a story explaining how I got there if I was to run into anyone....:oops:

tibaal89

Adventurer
Whoa, I never saw any of that... I broke off Sycamore, and stumbled upon the summit someplace out there. Returned the same way I'd come into Sycamore because I was hoping to get back to Gunsight by sunset.

All this talk and pictures has got me stoked! :wings:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
My apologies, but as of now I'm afraid I won't be able to go...
Have a ton of fun...

safari.gif

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Goodtimes has twisted my arm... and the Jeep has had a successful clutch transplant, so count me (&wife) in! Looking forward to meeting some of the other Tucson expo members.

Jasonazx

Adventurer
Rockcrawler said:
Goodtimes has twisted my arm... and the Jeep has had a successful clutch transplant, so count me (&wife) in! Looking forward to meeting some of the other Tucson expo members.
Nice! Should be a nice fun run. Look forward to meeting you!

Jasonazx

Adventurer
Purple People Eater said:
Not only will I be joining, but I'm bringing my buddy from Tempe, too!

Look at this sexy beast!
n504371117_267122_4213.jpg

He's single, ladies!
What's that white stuff he has in his mouth?:shakin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle