Habitat Owner's Thread

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't feel like I lost any headroom in my j30. Check out the last few pages of the Ursa Minor thread. I posted pictures of the overhead organizer (assuming they come the same in either variety).

will

Adventurer
Left AT Overland today with my new Habitat installed. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. ;-)

kb7our

Explorer
Left AT Overland today with my new Habitat installed. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. ;-)

Congrats! Now you can change your signature :). Please post some pics and experiences once you get to exploring.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Jason, when does the sick new t-shirt/graphic for the Habitat Owners Group come out? H.O.G. may be taken by some small fringe group already so we may have to come up with another name!

Ward

jrueppel

Adventurer
Habitat Sticker/Icon/T-Shirt

I've been working on a sticker idea that could go bigger onto something else.
Let me know if people are interested I can share it or some variation up on Cafe Press.

flop_top_sticker_negative.jpg

kb7our

Explorer
Future Design Considerations for the Habitat Team

Realizing that production Habitats just started getting into the hands of early adopters last year, this is an initial opportunity for owners who have had sufficient experience with their new top to recommend any product changes that you would like to see and recommend as considerations for future revisions. This is not intended to be a gripe list but rather a means to provide product enhancement suggestions and owner discussion about things you believe would help perfect the amazing Habitat product.
-
Here are some suggestions:
-
o Seal the 4 corners of the tent where it attaches to the aluminum channel to further minimize dirt ingress when deployed.
o Extend top cap length (mold) slightly to match up with lower shell length.
o Include secure mattress attachment points in front section.
o Add accommodation for side awning vents to be securely closed during inclement weather.
o Seal the center section where the tent attaches to the floor near the hinge point. Additional flap and/or modification of the padded hinge cover?
o Add a minimum level of adjustability to the 3 "U" poles for minor variances in mounting, stretching, etc. On a windy day one might want to tighten things up a bit vs. leaving the material a bit more relaxed for normal weather.
-
Looking forward to reading other suggestions and spending many more nights in the Habitat!

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
A couple questions for owners already using the Habitat.

1.How many of you guys have the AT gear shelf? Is it worth it's weight in gold? Can it be accessed from the front (it looks like the front of the shelf goes right near the ceiling making it inaccessible from the inside)?
2. How and where are you storing clothing?
3. How are you storing food and kitchen items? (We will have the combo slide and NL Weekender fridge/freezer as well as stage 1 storage.

Thanks in advance!
Ward

keithro

Adventurer
If you plan on having a fridge and a slide the shelf is almost a necessity unless you don't bring any gear along on your trips. You can access it from the front, but there isn't a lot of space for pulling large items through.

kb7our

Explorer
A couple questions for owners already using the Habitat.

1.How many of you guys have the AT gear shelf? Is it worth it's weight in gold? Can it be accessed from the front (it looks like the front of the shelf goes right near the ceiling making it inaccessible from the inside)?
2. How and where are you storing clothing?
3. How are you storing food and kitchen items? (We will have the combo slide and NL Weekender fridge/freezer as well as stage 1 storage.

Thanks in advance!
Ward

1 - Looks like your last question was answered. As far as value, you will have to decide for yourself. It has been a significant upgrade for me and enough time and use has elapsed that I'm no longer feeling the initial purchase pain or regretting it. Nice piece of gear and necessary as mentioned previously.

2 - A couple of duffels that are easy to toss up and store inside the tent on the rear shelf when camping and stuff wherever when traveling. Works well.

3 - Kitchen hardware goes into the AT Stage 1 drawer and mounted on top of that is a Pelican case on a slideout that holds non-refrigerated food items.

We try different things until something that works well enough is identified and then we stick with an idea to prove it out based on our own actual use and habits. I'd say we are getting close to dialing things in on the Habitat although it's always fun to continue to tweak as part of the reason for having it.

Last edited:

will

Adventurer
Love my AEV JK350 + Habitat, etc. Thanks to everyone at AT Overland, John at Ursa Minor, and others on the forum here that helped me figure out what I wanted. Went from the 110 + RTT to the Habitat. Lovin' it! Now I just need to get back to the States and put it to use this summer!View attachment 159923View attachment 159924

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior