Haddix's Build Thread

haddix

Adventurer
This is the build of my 2001 Toyota 4runner Limited.

Lets go back to May of 2008. I had a 2002 Avalanche, gas was to expensive for a teenager it was killing me. Always loving toyota (tacoma was 1st truck) I wanted a 4wd toyota. Looking around local I found a beautiful 01 4runner. Fully loaded, I mean EVERYTHING. I was in love. Still had original window sticker. The dealer gave me a good deal and the day after I seen it I was driving it home..
Picture250.jpg

I drove it stock for a while until I found this site and TTORA. I was addicted. I saved for a little bit and decided to do everything at once.

I ended up with OME setup with 285/75 nittos and helo maxx rims

Picture450.jpg

This was a great setup. Awesome for a DD.but it wouldnt stay that way for long.

Couple months later I found someone selling there ARB bumper so of course I had to jump on that. Few pics of cutting off the frame plates and the bumper..
Picture560.jpg

Picture503.jpg

All mounted up and ready to take on anything!

Picture498.jpg

Picture510.jpg

With the addition to the arb I was wanting to keep on adding. Sliders were next. Wasn't sure what brand to go with so when in doubt go custom!

Picture485.jpg

Picture566.jpg

After being powdercoated
Picture649.jpg

I love the way they turned out and its always good to support a local business.

Last edited:

haddix

Adventurer
Few random pics of the 4runner..

l_dac3e94aaa1b4c3092aaad1fa1c390b1.jpg

Picture606.jpg

141a4302.jpg

I got tired of the rims so I decided to go to the 5 stars. Ive always loved them so I decided to get some..

Picture1238.jpg

Picture1206.jpg

I also wanted to re-do the suspension so I opted for coilovers. Found a great deal on some fabtech coilovers so I got them. Also from hearing good things of the lc coils I picked up a set. I ended up selling my whole setup to Elton so it worked out great for both of us.

After installing the lc coils the 33's looked small to me(im very picky) so I ended up selling my nittos (great tire)locally and driving to basically Columbus OH in my dads buick to pick up 4 315/75/16 MTZ lol. The guy could not beleive I fit them in there. I told him I was taking the tires home with me if I had to tie some to the roof. It was the worst ride home but got great gas mileage!
Picture1376.jpg

5 stars mounted..
Picture1395.jpg

Of course I needed spacers with this setup so while waiting on them to come in the 4runner sat like this.
Picture1416.jpg
Ghetto

As we all know the tires rubbed. This is all suspension and no bl. So cutting was required.(no pics of that)
Picture105.jpg

I loved my 4runner after that. The 35's looked awesome. I was actually pleased...for a little while..
Picture126.jpg

Picture120.jpg

haddix

Adventurer
Well of course after the 35's the power wasn't there. A re-gear was next. Ended up with 4.88 gears with TRD elocker in the back and an arb up front. I really like the 4.88. I cant say if it put me back to stock because its been so long since its been stock I dont remember what it feels like but its a hell of a lot better than 4.10's lol. As unfortunate as it is I don't have pics of the swap. It was a big job and pics were the last thing on my mind at the time. I was just ready to get back on the road!

Like everything else I got tired of the 5 stars so I was looking for something diferent. Something you dont usually see. I ended up with black TRD fj rims. Back to black again. I love these rims. For now..

000000.jpg

Picture137-1.jpg

Picture115-1.jpg

lilflex.jpg

I had been wanting to add some protection to the undercarriage and there wasn't much debate..Gave Bud a call and had the skids in 3 days! These things are heavy!
Mounted up..
Picture133-1.jpg

Picture132-1.jpg

Picture131-1.jpg

Ive always loved the way the snorkel looks so figured why not. Called up toytec and ordered a safari snorkel..
Picture130-1.jpg

Picture139-1.jpg

Picture152.jpg

haddix

Adventurer
I recently got an ARB roof rack. Its full length and made very well. Here it is mounted up and a few pics from the recent trip to the Smokey Mountains. The rack mounts directly to the roof.

Picture142-1.jpg

Picture146-1.jpg

Picture147-1.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture166.jpg

Ok guys this is a very fast and roughly made thread. Theres been stuff in between that I forgot to add. Over the time I got a winch, hella 500's, remote start, 1st gen roll bar and a bl(not put on yet) I just wanted to start a build thread so I can update this instead of making new threads.

haddix

Adventurer
The rig was already built when I made this so there are parts missing. Its hard to look back and remember exactly when I done one thing or when I changed another. Just wanted to get it put up here so I could update as I go along.

haddix

Adventurer
Very nice 4Runner!

Thanks man.

Have a pretty good update...Alright guys got some deciding to do. No longer going to be an ARB owner. The runner is going into the shop the beginning of next week to get the new bumpers.

Heres what im going to choose from....Lets get some opinions.

Bentup
Picture009-1.jpg

Picture036-1.jpg

100_0118-1-1.jpg
(except higher clearance in the middle)

CBI

IMG_0362.jpg

photo02sized.jpg

photo03sized.jpg

Armorology

000_0365.jpg

000_354.jpg

Rear bumper is something like this..
Mc4Run8489SideBW_1-461x353.jpg

As high clearance as i can get it and ill have tubing on the rear 1/4 panel for better protection.

I really love all of these bumpers and im sure I cant go wrong with any of these. What do you guys think?

Box Rocket

I'm going with the CBI in the first CBI pic you posted. I like that Armorology bumper too. Might have to look closer at that one. Do you know the cost on the Armorology one?

haddix

Adventurer
There not. I think he still does some jobs though. I'm going to a fab shop local to me and these are the ideas im going to show them. Im just trying to decide between these.

haddix

Adventurer
Yeah Im really liking the cbi. I like the high clearance of the 2nd and 3rd cbi pic but the tube work of the 1st one. Not really sure on the price of the armorology. They only build the bumpers in house. No shipping.

dyogim

Explorer
There not. I think he still does some jobs though. I'm going to a fab shop local to me and these are the ideas im going to show them. Im just trying to decide between these.

AJ no longer has his shop or the business. However, he still does side jobs as stated. I have his number if you need it. Not sure if they are still working. I can give him a call and ask. AJ is pretty much the guy who built my truck and did the SAS, F/R Bumpers and sliders.

Too bad, the economy forced the closure of the shop.

haddix

Adventurer
AJ no longer has his shop or the business. However, he still does side jobs as stated. I have his number if you need it. Not sure if they are still working. I can give him a call and ask. AJ is pretty much the guy who built my truck and did the SAS, F/R Bumpers and sliders.

Too bad, the economy forced the closure of the shop.

Yeah it is to bad. They produced great looking bumpers. I already know the shops thats doing the,m just trying to decide which design. I'm dropping the runner off on Thursday morning! Now I just have to make up my mind which to go with. Decisions decisions.

haddix

Adventurer
Alright I cant wait to post pics so here they are!!!!!!!

Picture287.jpg

Picture292.jpg

Picture305.jpg

Picture311.jpg

Picture309.jpg

Picture320.jpg

Picture327.jpg

Picture319.jpg

Picture330.jpg

My goal was as high clearance as possible but still be stout. I think I achieved that. The sides are so much higher than the old ARB. The turn signals will be mounted tomorrow and where the winch fairlead goes will be cut out tomorrow as well. I absolutely loved the way it came out. These guys do awesome work, top notch. Im very impressed so far and cant wait to get the rear done tomorrow!

Box Rocket

Love it! Exactly what I want for my Tacoma. Any pics of the back side of the bumper? I'd love to know cost too. And I don't think you mentioned who is building it..........Guys (or guy) that used to be Armorology? Where are they located?

What are you doing with the ARB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears