Ham radios. What is everyone using

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yaesu FT-8800R has about the best receive I've seen in a mobile ham radio. Excellent sensitivity, and very little in the way of intermod, even while receiving outside the ham band right in the middle of the Los Angeles area.
I don't have experience with a lot of radios, but my $0.02 is that I agree with this assessment. It's got pretty darn good receivers. Very sensitive with a good selectivity, really does not get upset easily. Compared to the shack-in-a-boxes like a FT-857 & IC-7000, the FT-8800 is orders better. All mobiles IME blow away most of the micro and mini HTs as well (my VX-7R has terrible intermod issues for example). The FT-7800 and FT-8800 strike me as about as robust as any commercial radio for VHF FM. I have a FTM-350 now and this is a noticeable step down compared to the FT-8800 I once had in my truck (I still have it, use it at home).

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have a Kenwood TM-V71A in my FJC. I like the ergos better than the popular dual-recieve Yaesu's, and also the fact that the mic connects to the base unit as opposed to the removeable faceplate. I ran a cable from the base unit under the driver's seat to a mic jack in the center console area, which worked out better for my installation.

I am very happy with the performance of the radio.

We also have a Yaesu VX-7R HT that we use when we are away from the truck. No complaints about the performance of that radio either. I find all the HT's to be rather daunting to use from a user interface perspective. No easy way around it given the functionality they pack into a small unit with limited space for buttons, which leads them to put about 17 functions on each button.

Mtn Mike

Observer
My collection is mostly 2 meter radios. I have access to two commercial (part 90) frequencies, so most of my radios are part 90 radios.

Icom IC-F5021 (50 watt mobile)
ham4.jpg

Icom IC-F3021 (HT)
Icom IC-F510 (25 watt mobile, UK model)
Icom IC2000 (40 watt mobile ham radio)

Kenwood TS820S - (HF boatanchor) my latest acquisition
20121118100819577.jpg

Antennas:
Larsen/Maxrad 5/8 wave whip, NMO mount
Larsen 20/70 NMO mount
generic 1/4 ground plane for home station
home made meter J-pole

As others have said, range on VHF/UHF depends completely on your line of site to the receiver and vise versa. That being said, mobile radios with good antennas have vastly superior range than HTs. And "range" is almost unlimited when you start talking about technology like IRLP, D-STAR, or Echolink.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Those Kenwoods are an excellent radio, I have the set radio speaker and antenna mKenwood TS820S - (HF boatanchor) my latest acquisition

atching device.

rambrush

Adventurer
I run the Icom 706 MK II G then the HT Kenwood THf6 is tied into a separate antenna. The other ht is a Wouxun.

Mtn Mike

Observer
Those Kenwoods are an excellent radio, I have the set radio speaker and antenna mKenwood TS820S - (HF boatanchor) my latest acquisition

atching device.

Yeah I wish mine would have come with the antenna matcher. I'm looking for an MFJ antenna matcher to use.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
That is an awesome deal on a great radio. I almost wish I had a need for another FT8800R. Be sure to get the g4hfq software it is loads better than the Yaesu stuff.

On topic: I forgot to include my APRS. I use the Micro-Trak RTG Simple and compact. Mine is wired to an ignition hot power port. It tracks anytime the truck is running. When I return from a trip , I hit Aprs.fi for the track and see my adventure. I can go back to any date and see where the truck has been. My son is so hosed when he gets his license to drive!
icon_evil.gif
. He already has his ticket o transmit. :)

Last edited:
HenryJ,
Thanks for the link to the micro-trak I might have to get one those.

As for my radio I use a 8900R. I have only had my license for about 6 months, but it works great. It's easy to program with the just the controls, and its been a radio so far. I got mine for not much more than a 8800. If I had the money though I would have just got a 857-d. Having the extra HF capability would be nice.

cactusjk

Explorer
The Micro-Trak sounds interesting. It would be nice to use my existing 2M antenna though. Anyone have experience with how to setup a single antenna with two radios?

That is an awesome deal on a great radio. I almost wish I had a need for another FT8800R. Be sure to get the g4hfq software it is loads better than the Yaesu stuff.

On topic: I forgot to include my APRS. I use the Micro-Trak RTG Simple and compact. Mine is wired to an ignition hot power port. It tracks anytime the truck is running. When I return from a trip , I hit Aprs.fi for the track and see my adventure. I can go back to any date and see where the truck has been. My son is so hosed when he gets his license to drive!
icon_evil.gif
. He already has his ticket o transmit. :)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The MicroTrak transmits on a preset interval. Trying to operate off one antenna for two transmitters would be problematic.

This APRS is only 5W , but it has done a great job for me. It is small enough I can toss it on the motorcycle , or grab it for a trip in the wife's car. That said , I have only done that once.

Mine rides under the back seat.

aprs1.JPG

Not hard to hide as it is about the size of a cigarette pack.

The antenna and GPS receiver antenna

aprs4.JPG

Last edited:

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks, looks pretty simple. I like to keep the cables running into the FJ to a minimum and should be able to figure something out.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks, looks pretty simple. I like to keep the cables running into the FJ to a minimum and should be able to figure something out.
Agreed. These run out the top of the back door. Routed under the weatherstripping. The cables are thin and easy to squeak through. You can kind of get the idea from this shot:

aprs5.JPG

I have found that items above eye level seem to disappear in time. I don't seem not notice that stuff up there anymore.

My quest for the tracking system is logged here: S-10CREWCAB.net - Tracking radio and HAM radio install
Looks like mine will have been in service three years this spring. I had it wired to a switch in the last truck. That didn't work very well since I would forget to switch it on for the trip. if the rig was stolen, I am sure they would neglect to turn it on too. Too bad my insurance won't give me a break on the insurance due to the installation of a tracking device. I asked :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998