Hand Tools: The highest quality/value

Scott Brady

Founder
As I am cleaning out my garage, I am filled with visions of more mod. coolness, and since I work on all of my own vehicles and often build interesting and unique projects, tools are a big piece of what I do.

So far, Craftsman tools have been more than adequate, but I am looking to begin a tool upgrade, shifting my Craftsman tools to a trail/travel set and begin replacing with the highest quality sets I can.

What are your thoughts on:

Snap-on

Craftsman Professional (I have quite a bit of this)

Facom

Matco, etc.

Drool
47724.JPG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I use a combination of Craftsman and Husky for the core mechanic gear. I've also been curious about Kobalt, carried by Lowes. We are getting a Lowes in town this spring, so I'll have to check it out. I've never been able to justify the Snap-On thing. They are so incredibly expensive, and at the end of the day I don't really have any faults with my own equipment. There are those out there who swear by Snap-On and would never use anything else. I suppose if I had coughed up $50.00 for one box end wrench I'd feel pretty strongly about it too:)

Spence

PhulesAU

Explorer
SPAX It's a Fire Dept. kinda thing/ multi tool Axe , Hatchet, pry bar,gas meter wrench, hammer. works on wood, sheet metal, plastic.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I have an SK 1/2" socket set that was my grandfathers, it's at least 50 years old and the quality matches the new craftsman stuff. I don't know how the new SK stuff is but, I think Craftsman has the best availibility and price. The quality is good enough for me.

MitsosOSougias

Facom is what I would choose ... hands down the best quality I have found! They are a fit pricey but they seem to outlast everything else.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The nice thing about Craftsman is when you break a tool they are open nights and weekends...and located in most communities...for no charge exchange typically.

However I do have a small selection of Snap On wrenches and I always reach for them first! Better balance, better fit in the hand and on the bolt/nut, better chrome and I've never broken/bent one yet. I wish I could afford/justify a whole tool chest stuffed with their wares!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You ask the $100,000 question, Scott.

I've got mostly Craftsman of various age, both the regular and Pro junk. When something breaks (which in reality isn't often other than screwdrivers) I get it replaced at Sears. If the truck tool kit does not have a decent equivalent, the replacement Craftsman gets moved there and the garage tool kit gets something new.

What it boils down to for me is that I've never had much issue with Craftsman sockets, spanners, pliers and the Professional (the polished ones at least) ratchets. Screwdrivers, buy Snap-On and be done, the Craftsman's blades are pure crap. The truth is when I compare a Craftsman Professional to a Snap-On, I'm hard pressed to feel like it's worth twice the price. Maybe I'm just not enough of a tool connoisseur. I'm not saying that a Snap-On ratchet isn't a thing of pure utility beauty, but typically it's a 100% price premium over the top of the line Craftsman. I'm not one to cheap out on tools (I spent a ton on my floor jack to buy the USA made tool for example), but it's hard to lay out $80 for a ratchet when the $40 one just keeps going, can be rebuilt, made in the USA and just keeps working.

True story. I was using a regular Craftsman 1/2" socket (I think 19mm) and a 18" breaker bar to turn the torsion bar tensioning bolt on my truck when I was replacing the springs. They had frozen solid and I had about a 4' cheater over the end of the breaker and I was braced with my feet against the front tire, pulling for all my might. The bolt twisted in two and neither the wrench nor socket broke and I still use both to this day. Figure that I had something like 175 lbs at the end of a 4' cheater and I had to twist the bolt head probably 20 degrees before it snapped off, that's prolly around 600 lb-ft. Yeah, I can't complain.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
To me (a non-professional mechanic), a wrench that has a certain amount of precision, doesn't corrode easily, and is made of a strong enough alloy to not deflect or break with average abuse, is fine. So far Craftsman tools have fit the bill for me. I can get them just about anywhere in the states, they are reasonably priced, and they get replaced for free unless it's blatantly obvious that you used a 10' pipe as a breaker bar on a 1/4" ratchet. I like the heft and machining quality of an expensive wrench, but I can't justify the expense. I've broken as many Snap-On tools as I have Craftsman, so I don't feel expensive is necessarily better.

My father and brother (motorcyclists) like Kobalt over Craftsman, but it could be a price thing. I usually wait for the big Christmas sales and then buy sets. Usually I end up with more 1/4" sockets than I could ever use, but those get lost around the shop anyway.

I can think of better things to spend your money on than premium tools when you don't earn your living wrenching. You could probably afford a garage lift for what a full set of Snap-Ons cost.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
My grandfather who used to be a woodworker and ran a sand & gravel swore by Craftsman. His main love was the way they were balanced in the hand, saying despite other manufacturers Craftsman were the only that focused on (he didn't use this word, but) ergonomics (that was like 30 years or so ago). The exception was hammers which were always Estwing for the same reason.

Maybe a family tradition thing, but I tend to like the balance-in-hand and feel of the Craftsman.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
but I tend to like the balance-in-hand and feel of the Craftsman.
Funny that you mention that, I have a 3/8" thin profile Craftsman ratchet and have really liked the balance. In fact one of my buddies picked it up and said he thought the shape was good, too. Can't claim to have compared all ratchets, but it is a better fit over a round handle.

View attachment 13908

Scott Brady

Founder
yeah, I have just come into a rash of Craftsman failures recently. Ratchets, drivers, etc.

Makes one start to look elsewhere... if the wallet can handle it :oops:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
My first credit card was a Sears, and I broke it in with a Craftsman set, back in 1987. Still serving me well, but I'm not a full-time wrench turner by any means.

I have a friend who's a 'tool snob' extrodinare, and buys nothing but SK. I have a 3/8"-drive SK set I inherited. Good stuff, but hard to find.

Never been able to afford Snap-on, but I did have a phillips screwdriver that fell out of the dash after the car was in for service. That thing would hold a screw like no other driver I've ever used! I 'bout cried when I discoved it was missing.

texas taco

Adventurer
I am an electrician by trade and have many friends that are auto mechanics. They almost all say the same. Buy snapon rachets but leave the box end wrenches to craftsman. I use Klien rachets and they are supper strong but they don't quite have the finess of the snapon brand. Almost all Klien products a very good quality except there screw drivers. Buy snapon they seem to hold up the best. Truste me on this my screw driver is one of my most used tools...I have used them all...

telwyn

Adventurer
I'm aiming to be almost all Snap On, but my step-dad is one of their dealers so it's a little easier for me and I'm obviously biased. I will say the tools I've used the most (ratchets and 18v drill) just feel better - better build, weight, etc.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Craftsman had always been good enough for me, I really like the guarantee and the fact that Sears is nearby.

Snap-On is the best according to guys who make a living using tools, but unless you are a professional mechanic I find it hard to justify the substantial price difference when a Craftsman tool will do the same job with a comparable guarantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior