Hankook MT vs Toyo MT

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have read all the reviews and threads... Which would be the choice based SOLELY on longevity under a one ton diesel?? Price is the same for both.

Thanks!

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I've used both and it's Toyo hands down! Over time as the Hankooks wore they became harder and more costly to keep balanced and the ride became worse and worse. Only problem I had with the Toyo's was the smell when new, don't know if they ever fixed that but after a few months it was pretty much gone. Oh and these were under my F450 4x4 with Okanagan camper. Very heavy rig.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've used both and it's Toyo hands down! Over time as the Hankooks wore they became harder and more costly to keep balanced and the ride became worse and worse. Only problem I had with the Toyo's was the smell when new, don't know if they ever fixed that but after a few months it was pretty much gone. Oh and these were under my F450 4x4 with Okanagan camper. Very heavy rig.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured. They want $11 more per tire for the Hankooks, which to me, should cost less. My gut tells me the Toyos are the way to go.

ElCaminoManT

C'mon, don't bulls**t me
i will NOT recommend hankooks to anyone. i had a set of toyos on my dmax for 65k trouble miles, often times with right at max weight on them with my 5er hooked up. absolutely LOVED those tires. put a set of hankook dynapros on based on reviews and price....worst decision EVER!!! they balanced fine but all 4 tires were so far out of round the truck shook like it was riding on square tires down the freeway (no joke!!). replacements were sent and they were just as bad! then i hooked up the 5er....holy shiat! towed my trailer for 5 years now on toyos and nittos and was perfect, i had to change my shorts after towing with the hankooks! they squirmed all over the place, felt like i was on mush. discount replaced those tires with nitto terra grapplers free of charge, very impressed with them so far. balanced great and were nearly perfectly round. just about 22k on them and still look almost new..

hoser

Explorer
I have no experience with the Hankook's but have run the Toyo MT's and currently run 3 other sets of Toyos on various cars and they are all well made and all balance quite nicely. I was able to get 30k miles on my Toyo MT's on my LX470 and they still had 40-50% tread when I replaced them.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
More great feed back. I found a place that sells the Toyos here in Canada for LESS than I could get them in the USA, with mounting and balancing free. They are only an hour away. I don't know how they are doing it, but I'm getting a set before they go broke!

squint

Adventurer
I like my Toyos so much that I was willing to pay an extra $75 per tire when they ran out of the 35s in the US. I hunted them down and sourced them from 2,000 miles away. They are true 35s (unlike most other manufacturers claims) and they are incredibly quiet, even after all the wheeling I did. They are also heavier than most other tires, but I guess that makes sense.

Peluo

I did a round overland trip from Caracas to Ushuaia and back (both east and west cost) 40k kilometers doing 5 tire rotation not one puncture on the 5 Toyo MT best HD MT tire for a heavy truck like my LC 80 series build to the hilt. Buy Toyo :)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Peluo, Bienvenidos! Año pasado, vendado mi Land Cruiser. Quiero uno mas. Por favor, photographs de tu TLC, y gracias por las palabras.

Holy bad Spanish Bat-hombre! :sombrero:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I had Toyo AT's on my Dakota and my Jeep XJ, great tires but wore quickly in my experience. I am not sure if the AT and the MT share the same rubber compound or not?

I now run the Hankook MT and they are the best tires I have owned. About 25,000 km on them and they are wearing very well. Balanced easily and have stayed balanced to date.

No issues towing with them either. They are not E load rated heavy truck tires, C rated IIRC? Not sure if there is much of a difference?

Can't go wrong with the Toyo I am sure.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Just made a tire decision myself. Went with the toyos 255/85/16. Wont be here till monday hope there good. Did alot of reading and one of the only complaints was price. They supposedly last. Read many reviews where folks are getting lets just say well past 40k miles. Time will tell. Oh and the reviews for the hankooks were not very favorable. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
It's funny you mentioned the smell. I put a set of Toyo's on my 5500 Dodge and didn't know what that smell was, almost like a sewer, hope it goes away soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998