Hankook MT vs Toyo MT

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My Hankook Dynapros are probably the best I've had for off-road use and after two years, I'll be getting another set for my 17" rims-

Sanddriving013.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Rockhard426

Toyo's for sure , I just put a new set on my 3500 Megacab and boy do they stink !! (Stink as in smells bad) you can stand 10 or feet away and smell them but I love them , they seem to be the only tire to hold the weight of my truck , other tires the sidewalls break down. My last set I got about 55k by doing regular rotations and checking the air once a wk. I guess time will tell with the Hankook's what is the longest someone has has a set on there vehicle ?

Erik N

Adventurer
I will probably buy a set of 255 MT's in a month or so when I head out fishing the West. The truck always has dead mice in it, so I won't notice the tire's stink so bad...:D

I just put the toyos on my truck last thursday and I don't notice the stink you guys talk about. Heck they were in my living room for several days. Do they have a slight odor of rubber sure but not anymore so than any other tire.

D

Deleted member 12023

Toyos are where it's at... I had the ATs before and got 60k miles with no flats, no issues. I have 35" MT's right now. I don't have a mileage report on them yet but they seem tough as nails!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
12valve... I just checked out your blog. We lived full time in a 31' Airstream International that we bought and gutted and renovated. It was an awesome rig. Where we live now (we sold the AS a year ago), we get 8'-10' of snow on average, so not really ideal for year round living.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Had the Dynopros for last 10k. Yes, they ride rough, but the overall a very stout tire. Sidewall especially. Hold up pretty well at almost any terrain. Crappy on snowy surface.

wADVr

Adventurer
Interesting as I just rode in a friends truck(same dodge 3500) with the hankooks and noticed how rough it drove compared to my truck with toyos. Huge difference, thought there was something totally different in the suspension which there isn't except my truck has a 2" leveling kit which would theoretically make it ride rougher. I am getting to the tail end of my tires life at 68k but I expect to get a few thousand more. I tow a fair amount and haven't had any sketchy situations I have had with other tires with weight on them.

Probably way late in responding to this but thought it might help others.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Good to hear you got 68,000 out of yours. Mine only have about 2000 so far, but I love them. I used to be a BFG MT die hard, but one set of the KM2s cured me of that. If I get even 40,000 out of the Toyos I'll be super happy. I will guess you were fairly anal about tire pressure and rotations to get 68k?

turbolab

Observer
Good to hear you got 68,000 out of yours. Mine only have about 2000 so far, but I love them. I used to be a BFG MT die hard, but one set of the KM2s cured me of that. If I get even 40,000 out of the Toyos I'll be super happy. I will guess you were fairly anal about tire pressure and rotations to get 68k?

let see a pic with the new tires or it didn't happen

D

Deleted member 12023

12valve... I just checked out your blog. We lived full time in a 31' Airstream International that we bought and gutted and renovated. It was an awesome rig. Where we live now (we sold the AS a year ago), we get 8'-10' of snow on average, so not really ideal for year round living.

Sorry I missed this.... The airstream is great! We did a partial renovation on ours, but we were limited on time before we had to move in. Some day I would like to do a full gut and rehab, and remove all of the awful 70's colors. It has been great to us, best of all, no rent! But you are right, not the right rig for living in the snow, unless you have stock in propane! It amazes me how many people actually live in theirs full time

wADVr

Adventurer
Oddly enough I haven't been too OCD about them. I let the dealer do the rotating, which cost me some additional wear on the passenger side tires ( truck has odd wear on the front right tire). If they would have been rotated side to side to balance this they would have more life left.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...Huge difference, thought there was something totally different in the suspension which there isn't except my truck has a 2" leveling kit which would theoretically make it ride rougher. I am getting to the tail end of my tires life at 68k but I expect to get a few thousand more. I tow a fair amount and haven't had any sketchy situations I have had with other tires with weight on them.snip...

68k from a heavy pickup on Toyo M/T is phenomenal, and likely has much to do with your driving style. Like mpg, tire wear reports can be all over the place.

I've heard more negative reports about wear with Toyo A/Ts compared to Toyo M/Ts... and find myself considering a set of Toyo M/Ts again...because of the 255/85 size.

Nice driving/wear.

notajeep

Observer
I just replaced my hankook dynapro ATM's after about 8k. Not because they were wore out but because the ride was AWFUL!! These tires were so far out of round that no amount of balancing would help them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle