Has anyone used Monstaliner on their camper and truck?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I'm thinking about rolling it on the entire surface (minus windows and roof) of both the truck and camper. Trackhead on RV.net truck camper forum has rollered TC in desert sand and it looks very good. It's also a flat finish which is very sturdy normally used on truck beds, roll bars, Jeep interiors and exteriors and the like, and is kind of a pleasant desert camoflauge color. He has a fiberglass camper. I have a Lance, white painted aluminum sheathed camper with an aluminum roof. I know the reason camper mfgrs. use white is for heat and sun deflection/reflection to keep the interior cooler in hot weather. We don't camp in hot weather. Only Fall/Winter/Spring need apply. I went through the entire 'show your rig' section here and found only one, owned by a French couple driving around the hemisphere. So the querie is: has anyone done this? If so, what was the result for you? If you look at the pix of the results, they cover a multitude of sins done to your rig. Mine is pretty beat up, so this might be a good way to extend the life of the camper. There is the 'stealth', non-reflective nature to the coating which I like. I had a Jeep painted desert sand and liked it a lot. But it was rattle can spray paint:

Here are a couple Class B rigs painted that desert color we found in Death Valley:

and this rig: which has a gloss coating inferring you have the $300K to buy said rig;

and my old '70 Land Cruiser FJ-55:

Anyone?
jefe

Last edited:

bitman05

I painted the exterior of my TJ and hardtop with different colors of Monstaliner. Rolled it on. Turned out great. What do you want to know?

javajoe79

Fabricator
My friend coated his cruiser with it. Looked great and really tough. I am considering it for my camper project. Desert sand looks good

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Good info. I've waded through all those jeep pix before. Here is the link to a pic of TrackHead's rig:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28307021/gotomsg/28308623.cfm#28308623
So far, he's the only one to actually Monstaline a truck camper. I"m thinking to just do my whole rig. Now, do I roll it on or spray it on? There is a lot of surface to cover in a truck and camper combo, so maybe spray would be more efficient, no? I think it would take 3-4 gallons of Monstaliner to cover everything. This includes, of course, the bed of the truck; the key that got me thinking about the whole thing. Our truck camper and truck are pretty beat up after all those weird and whacky off-road trips. One aspect is to cover up the boo-boos with a non-reflective, tough but flexible sealing surface that won't scrape off with a passing tree or rock. This will be the last attempt with the 165-s.
Here is the basic side view of our rig. Lots of texture differences: corrugated metal siding; curved painted sheet metal; plastic and rubber fender lips; green stripes; Lance logos; chrome ; polished aluminum wheels. All that would fade into a monochrome Dodge Dune: only the widows would remain reflective.

It looks like there are prospects, but no one has stepped up and said, "yeah, I did my entire TC in Monstaliner". I hope not to be the first.
I have studied camouflage in warfare quite a bit and was intrigued with the efforts in deception men in charge went through to have stuff disappear. Of course all the regular stuff but I was fascinated with Mountbatten Pink as a desert color. At dusk, it simply disappears from view. Google that to see. Since we do a lot of overnighting in Urban settings, I thought black and white would be O.K. since it would not look out of place. But, this desert sand is tried and true in dry climes, like the state we live in.
jefe

Last edited:

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
If you look above at the featured vehicle thumb on the upper left, you will see the desert sand color I'm looking at on a VW-LT camp mobile.
jefe

Will be watching this closely. I'm just about sold on rolling a similar product onto my truck. Years of sunshine has the mid-90s clear coat and now base coat peeling off in large sheets. I have to deal with an HOA thus the roller job instead of spraying in the driveway, even with a DIY booth. Good luck :sombrero:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im still really considering Monstaliner for my camper, and future campers I build.

I think campers like mine are just begging for such a coating.

chassis238.jpg

RYOUNG

Observer
I have Herculined the roof on my Jayco popup truck camper in a light grey color and am going to coat the rest of it very soon. I sprayed the roof but think I'm going to roll the rest. Spraying seems to waste a lot of product.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Since my camper won't have a lot of texture and ripples, I think rolling it on will work well for me. We shall see though.

calstar

Observer
For those who've used Monsta or similar coating on a vehicle surface(other than the bed) what preparation steps did you take?

thanks, Brian

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Brian,
It's been almost a month since you posted, which tells me the answer to my question and yours. No one on here has done a full-on Monstaliner coating, or any other 'bed liner' to their complete TC.
I was talking about the Mountbatten Pink used by the British in WWII, but the only present day example I could find was this Pink Jeep Tour bus parked near us at Bad Water in Death Valley. I guess they have a small fleet of these now. With 8 lug wheels, it looks only to be a 3 series truck. The only thing I see that would be a problem would be the level of the rear entry stairs. Ya think they might drag crossing a dry wash? Nah! And, no, I'm not going for Mt. Batten Pink. I'm moving for more of a flat light grey color now.

You can see Bro's and my rigs in the upper left of the pic in front of the tourbus:

jefe

1Louder

Explorer
I used it on my trailer. After almost a year it is still going strong. I only bought 2 quarts for my larger trailer and probably should have bought a gallon. I did two coats. As for preparation all of the instructions are on the Monstaliner web site. Follow them and you should be fine. Mine was rolled on with rollers purchased from Monstaliner.

16541405561_154e95e07b_b.jpg

16543132705_a734494d09_b.jpg

I ended up not having enough for the interior areas and those ended up just being painted.

I would give the product a thumbs up.

boxcar1

boxcar1
It will be interesting to see .
I have used the Duplicolor version quite a bit but never on a TC. Stuff holds up well in all environments that I have exposed it to.
Once I get tired of maintaining the raw aluminum skin on my TC I may just have to copy your plan.
By the way, nice work.

Jkrpan

Custom Shop bed liner

tpc global custom shop bed liner.
I used this on my bumpers. After a year still looks good. It comes with the hardening agent just mix it in the bottle along with the color shake it up and attach the gun and shoot. The hurculiner that my buddy rolled on his was sun bleached in a year. So much easier than rolling it on too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior