Hauling wood in ??

kj4vyi

I thought i seen a pic a while back where someone was bringing their own wood in when they either are wheeling or just camping. I was in a pelican case on a roof rack, cant remember if the person had it on a yota or a lr but.....

I had an idea and tell me if its worth it due to good camping is right around the corner for me. I have a pretty large ata case that a friend of mine gave me that use to house medical test equipment in. It is now housing a 6" telescope thats about 3ft long with lots of foam around it so its a good size case.

We have a crap ton of pallets ( really nice clean one time use pallets ) at work that have been left with us after product delivery. I was thinking of breaking them down and using the chop saw to make even cuts and load up the case and take the wood with me to burn up. I would not be using it to cook on just burn, I know there might be hazards with pesticides or treatments but i can not locate any numbers or stamps on the pallets.

Any thoughts ??

thanks

Chad

Philp100

Observer
Great idea! I have a neighbor that uses mostly pallet wood to heat his house all winter. Free from local businesses and easier on the back then running a chainsaw!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It also depends where you live. Here in California, our trees are getting decimated by the Bark Borer Beetle, so there's a statewide (possibly even all of the west-coast/southwest-wide) policy of "Buy it where you burn it". In other words, you're specifically asked not to move firewood around or bring yours from home, since that's one of the vectors for spreading the beetles around.

If I'm headed to the desert, or someplace else where moving wood isn't a problem, I just throw a bundle in my trasharoo. Otherwise, I try to respect the policy and buy as locally as possible.

Regarding using pallet wood - AAACK! Most pallets are treated with all kinds of chemicals both for bug-resistance as well as weatherproofing. I would NOT want to be breathing those fumes.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Correct.

Many, many places now it is technically against the law to bring your own firewood.

And in general for many reasons its bad practice to do as such.

I make a simple choice... I generally do not have fires. Simplifies everything.

Less to worry about, less mess, and certainly cheaper than buying locally.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Obviously, deal with your burnt metallic residue properly.

And just how do you do that? In California you can get a ticket for burning wood with nails in it. It's plain common sense. Those nails stay around and get spread all over for a century. May your tires be the ones that find them.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I can get 3, sometimes 4 bundles of wood in a large Action Packer, so that works well. As for pallets, they are illegal to burn on National Forest and BLM lands because of the nail issue.

Lucky j

Explorer
My guess is if he plans on burning pallets and transporting the wood in plastic containers, he will take them aparts for space efficiencies.

Then he will probably remove the nails. No?

Just a tough about my area and wood transport. But do not get me wrong, I know why they implement the wood transporting policies.

But around here in eastern canada and the north eastern states, logging truck are transporting wood in 45ft trailers to mils on very long distance and even accros province and country. Why in hell can they do it if it is bad for the bugs and other tree issues.

Just a tough.

Philp100

Observer
Interesting discussion! I assumed (bad!) OP was planning on tearing the pallets apart and removing nails before packing them up. Most pallets I see are not chemically treated, just made from the cheapest dimensional lumber they can get. From what I have read, once the bark is removed, the bugs are gone also. Unless I'm glamping it at one of the state campgrounds I rarely burn also.

Sent by pure magic

kj4vyi

Thanks for the discussion everyone !!

As far as nail issues, yes I would be breaking them down, I already do it at work as it is, so no nails to haul around. It would then be cut with a chop saw so further inspection for nails and other metals.

I have looked over the pallets I have and do not see any markings and most of them that come in are not being used to haul chemicals or other hazardous materials ( that i know of ) most are just large shipments of video equipment from American distributors. I will have to call them and find out if they buy the pallets or build in-house and go from there !!

I would rather not have to dump them in the regular dumpster and at least use them for something. There are a few folks that come by and pick them up from time to time.

thanks again
Chad

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's interesting to see how many people missed it when the OP had already stated he would be cutting up the pallets prior to taking the wood camping in an enclosed container, thus negating the nail discussion. Most pallets are treated and approved to be used across the country while some may not, just look for certain markings/stamps indicating so. I camp a lot and am yet to see a complete pallet strapped to the roof of a vehicle, but I'm sure some of you live in a place where this may happen.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Happens a lot in the SoCal desert. There are more shipping pallets than trees, and far more uneducated adventurers

MOguy

Explorer
My guess is if he plans on burning pallets and transporting the wood in plastic containers, he will take them aparts for space efficiencies.

Then he will probably remove the nails. No?

Just a tough about my area and wood transport. But do not get me wrong, I know why they implement the wood transporting policies.

But around here in eastern canada and the north eastern states, logging truck are transporting wood in 45ft trailers to mils on very long distance and even accros province and country. Why in hell can they do it if it is bad for the bugs and other tree issues.

Just a tough.

I live in a logging community and we have timber going in all directions but even here in the free state of Missouri we have similar restriction like what Herbie mentioned they have in California when it comes to your firewood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179