Headache/Bed Rack - Finished!

fabjunkie

Observer
Here is a rack I've been working on the last week or so when I can. I've been building this in my head since before I got the truck and finally got around to putting it together as the toolbox I had on the truck was starting to fall apart. As I build the truck more and more, I want to gear this one towards more of a Expo/Zombie Apocalypse rig. For me, this requires two spares, extra fuel, and as much storage as possible. In all of this I also want to swap to a stack for the exhaust (have to be ready for those water crossings while eluding the hordes of undead).

I only had to pick up the angle and the rest I had laying around from previous projects. The bed rails are 3/16" with everything else ranging from 14ga to 1/8". The rails and some small pieces were salvaged from a ladder rack that I have had no luck selling. I figured it was worth the $50 I paid for it in metal. Total weight of just the rack is probably in the 150-200lb range.
IMG_20120701_225532.jpg

IMG_20120704_214920.jpg

IMG_20120708_201402.jpg

One thing that always bothers me when expanded metal is used is the raw edge that almost always is left. Call it OCD or anal, but I had to frame it out.
IMG_20120707_220524.jpg

IMG_20120707_220457.jpg

Tire mounts. Nothing fancy, just a cradle for it to sit in. I eventually want to run 39" range so I made the spaces big enough to fit just about anything in that size.
IMG_20120701_173316.jpg

Tie-downs are always a necessity, and the more the better. I didn't want big loops hanging off everywhere, so I picked up a handful of these rings and chopped them up. There is a 1/4 of a ring at each upright on the rails and half a dozen half rings for the spare hold downs and at the very rear of the bed rails. The 1/4 rings are perfect for regular ratchet straps or bungees.
IMG_20120707_220637.jpg

IMG_20120707_220623.jpg

IMG_20120707_220658.jpg

The rack itself is finished, but I still need to build the toolbox and stack. The toolbox is an older one I had picked up for my Tacoma and was in the middle of redoing when I totaled it. It's your normal truck style box. I'm going to cut one end off and spin it so the lid faces the rear of the truck. It will be in the big void next to the driver tire. The stack will be between the fuel cans and headache rack.
IMG_20120707_220952.jpg

IMG_20120707_220925.jpg

Hold down for the fuel cans. The main bar holds them down while the angle to the side keeps the cans from being opened. The rear is hinged and the front will lock with a receiver lock.
IMG_20120708_201325.jpg

IMG_20120708_201333.jpg

IMG_20120708_201341.jpg

Every truck needs a good place to mount a hi-lift.
IMG_20120708_201352.jpg

Going to clean it up today and get paint on so I can get it on the truck in a day or two. I've got house chores for the coming week so hopefully I can get the toolbox done next week. If you look closely you may spy the stack material....

Last edited:

fabjunkie

Observer
Yeah it's going on the Chevy. I have a build thread over on CK5.

Got it painted today. Forgot to wet the garage floor before spraying it so I got to scrub the floor on my hands and knees to clean up the overspray. :violent-smiley-031:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That is a fantastic rack. Very well thought out. Can't say I feel the same about stacks. They are a waste of space and a fire hazard in the box. But, a 12 valve in an older K truck is a nice touch! I will check out your build thread too.

fabjunkie

Observer
I've been on the fence about a stack for a while now and wasn't going to do it. When I laid out the rack, there was a perfect spot for it, so I'm doing it. That and I actually feel bad about smoking out the people next to me.....most of the time.
flipoff13.gif

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Can't wait to see it on the truck. Makes me kinda want to ditch my topper and build more on my own rack, lol.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had a quick read of your thread on ck5. I may have missed it, but I assume this was some bodies project that they couldn't finish? It sounds like the motor was in, but the running gear needed a ton of work. You guys did a lot of work in a short time!

fabjunkie

Observer
Yeah the guy I got it from started the swap about 4 years ago now. He had someone else doing the work though and when the housing market went bust, he didn't have the $$ to finish it (he's in construction I guess, didn't actually meet him). Anyway I had found it on CL in Phoenix and it looked like a basket case from the pics and description so I wasn't going to even bother with it. Well my buddy with virtually the same truck went and checked it out, told me I was stupid not to get it. All in all I could have made out better overall had I had the time to get a couple trucks, put them together, and part the rest. I'm happy with it though.

At this point I've gone through just about all the major stuff and am working out the kinks. I was looking for a 96-98 dodge and was planning on swapping the drivetrain into a crew cab or suburban in a few years. I just happened to find it somewhat put together already so it allowed me to skip forward a bit. Basically I paid just for the truck what a clean crew would have run me and in total I've got about the same as what I would have paid for the Dodge, so I'm happy. My buddy built his over a year span and is a few thousand $ ahead of me. We had mine drivable in a week and then the next few months the big stuff showed it's head. Time=$ right?

Last edited:

Paladin1

Nice rack :)

I'm still in the planning stages of mine, but I have the same elements. I've actually thought about a swing arm tire mount that keeps the tire on the outside (and up) of the rack and then pivots down to waist level when released. Easier to get to and saves the space inside the bed. I'm running a SD, so adding a little overall width is just not really a concern.

fabjunkie

Observer
Finally got the back window swapped out so I could mount the rack. Need to get the spares mounted on wheels, and build the toolbox and stack.

IMG_20120714_162313.jpg

IMG_20120714_162304.jpg

IMG_20120714_162230.jpg

IMG_20120714_162402.jpg

IMG_20120714_162413.jpg

IMG_20120714_162532.jpg

IMG_20120714_162504.jpg

IMG_20120714_163110.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member