Headache/Bed Rack - Finished!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That is cool. Looking at the in-process pics I was doubting it but there is actually a lot more open bed space than I was expecting.

fabjunkie

Observer
Got everything on the rack finished up today.

Lucked out on the placement of the stack, didn't have to cut the hat channels under the bed. Waiting on the elbow and clamps to show up, then a quick run to Napa for the flex and the stack will be functional.
IMG_20120728_145701.jpg

Got everything painted and mounted. Sprayed the toolbox with some Duplicolor bedliner and the stack with some high heat Bar-B-Q black.
IMG_20120728_152319.jpg

IMG_20120728_145739.jpg

IMG_20120728_152312.jpg

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
You have outdone yourself sir, very impressive

my only minor concern is how much heat is generated from the stack & it being so close the the fuel cans, maybe a heat shield or deflector there

interesting idea with the fuel cans lock, very good idea you better patent that idea before it shows up elsewheres

fabjunkie

Observer
Thanks guys!

Honestly I don't think the heat off the stack is going to be an issue. That's 6.5" 1/4" wall pipe and I'm thinking would take quite a bit to heat it up. Plus there's about 4" between the stack and the closest can. I'll also be hauling diesel in them so I'm not as worried as I would be if it were gas. I'll check it once it's hooked up and do a heat shield if needed.

I actually stole the can lock idea from a pic I found on Google. I just modified it to fit my layout.

Bartonmd

Observer
Man, I was with you right up until the stack... At least it's a semi-funtional stack, though, not one that you want in the corner, so you cut through the frame for it...

Mike

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Very well laid out and built, almost makes me want a long bed.

I like the stack too even though I normally would not. Do you have a second tank?

fabjunkie

Observer
Got the stack hooked up today. Went and ran it pretty hard to see how hot it would get. The stack itself was too hot to hold a hand on, but the hold down bracket for the cans was fine and that's the closest thing to it. The can closest felt the same as the one furthest from it. I'll see what it's like on long trips.

Man, I was with you right up until the stack... At least it's a semi-funtional stack, though, not one that you want in the corner, so you cut through the frame for it...

Mike

You've got me confused on the semi-functional part. :confused: Stacks that are in the corner don't cut through the frame. They typically come through the bed in the same place but have elbows to stick them in the corner.

Very well laid out and built, almost makes me want a long bed.

I like the stack too even though I normally would not. Do you have a second tank?

Yeah it's got both saddle tanks. I want to add a blazer/suburban tank at some point where the factory spare was. With the cans, that would give me almost 100 gal capacity without having to use a transfer tank in the bed.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
awesome job, actually my favorite set up for a truck bed that ive seen. If i had a bed id have to make one myself lol. Sticker in the back window is great too "real trucks are built, not bought" couldnt agree more!

Bartonmd

Observer
You've got me confused on the semi-functional part. :confused: Stacks that are in the corner don't cut through the frame. They typically come through the bed in the same place but have elbows to stick them in the corner.

I've seen several stacks where people either went under the frame and up through the corner, or have gone through the frame and up through the corner.

When I say semi-functional, I mean that while it does take up bed space, it's also functional for an offroad vehicle by not having to have the exhaust run out the side, somewhere that it's going to get beat on up rocks.

Mike

fabjunkie

Observer
I've seen several stacks where people either went under the frame and up through the corner, or have gone through the frame and up through the corner.

When I say semi-functional, I mean that while it does take up bed space, it's also functional for an offroad vehicle by not having to have the exhaust run out the side, somewhere that it's going to get beat on up rocks.

Mike

I got ya. I don't know why anyone would run the pipe that way. It kills ground clearance or your frame.

That's another reason I decided to run the stack, was to get the muffler and tailpipe out of the way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior