Helicopter Extraction used to haul out broken down rigs…

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Looks kinda pricey, but here is another tool to add to your “out in the middle of nowhere” recovery kit, when the tow truck drivers refuse to come to your rescue….helicopter extraction!

47FE428C-452C-44E0-A99D-C82F766AC5D9.jpeg995C53AE-3966-4CF6-B533-AB60DEC6B1E0.jpeg

“It's called the toughest single-day off-road race for a reason. The King of the Hammers competition earns this crown by combining triple-digit speeds through wide-open California desert stretches featuring wicked canyons strewn with Volkswagen Beetle-sized boulders. Drivers and vehicles alike must be ready to tackle both—but that doesn't always work out.

The High Performance Helicopters team briefs before attempting to rescue a disabled side-by-side UTV from the King of the Hammers racecourse.

Engine failures, damaged tires, twisted metal, and other catastrophes have all left racers stranded in the Mojave Desert during King of the Hammers races. But when the terrain is so unforgiving that towing a vehicle back to the pits isn't an option, the aviation experts at High Performance Helicopters swoop in (read: steadily hover over) to help.

With vehicles still running the race course, the crew descends upon the UTV stranded somewhere on the Jackhammer North trail.

High Performance Helicopters is based in Redlands, California, about a 30-minute flight from where the racing takes place in Johnson Valley. High Performance Helicopters offers services ranging from moving payloads onto construction sites to aerial firefighting to recovering vehicles.
Recovery rigging is attached to the UTV, and care is taken to affix the damaged passenger wheel to the car during transport.

During the 2023 King of Hammers showdown, High Performance Helicopters twice dispatched aircraft to the desert, both times to recover stranded side-by-side UTVs. The company sent its HP-60A (a Sikorsky Black Hawk) and its Huey-based UH-1H+++. Both helicopters are demilitarized, and upfitted with rugged equipment that makes tasks like grabbing immobilized vehicles a snap.

(Photo credits, Dirt Cinema)

WOODY2

Adventurer
Someone needs to start a SPOT tracker linked service for this. Push the button, and a skyhook comes and pulls you straight up out of the mud.
So being stupid is no longer a problem provided your bank account can take the hit? :unsure:

Reactions: plh

86scotty

Cynic
I think the helicopter idea is excellent and I've been waiting on someone to do it. I've watched Matt, Fabrats and Rory/TrailMater do some insane rescues on Youtube and always wondered why they don't just hire a helicopter and have it done in 5 minutes.

Sure it isn't cheap but loggers have been hauling trees out of forests with old Hueys since they came back from 'nam. Apparently it isn't that insane to keep those things running.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It would only be about 10-20k+ per hour flight time for something that can lift heavy plus some ferry time to get it close....oh, and standby cost if you just want it to sit around and wait for you to get stuck.

Helicopter work is not as expensive as some think. I had mosquito control done from a R22 as opposed to the mosquito control guy driving around in a ute. An hour helo time vs a week or so getting bogged trying to access swamps. By the time you do the maths for the wages an hour helo time really isn't that much... Same could well apply if broken down in the middle of nowhere. I believe here in Australia the towies charged $300/hr for desert recoveries, from the moment they get the phone call to the time they're back at the pub. Helo rates are about $1,000/hr for a R44 - though medium lift would be quite a bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior