Helicopter Extraction used to haul out broken down rigs…

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
If your truck breaks down in a remote area, recovering the vehicle is just one of the options available.
A few years ago we broke a rear axle in the middle of the Simpson Desert (20km west of Poeppel Corner). Driving out on the front axle was not an option.
P1100248E.jpg
There was a recovery vehicle available in Birdsville.
P1030294cE.JPG
The owner charges by the hour, from the moment he receives the call until he is back in the pub having a beer. And that is 24/7. Many recoveries from the Simpson can take a couple of days.
The cost would have been A$10,000 plus.
Instead, we used a sat phone to call bloke in Melbourne, 1500km+ away (as the crow flies). He had a spare axle that suited and he posted it to Birdsville for us. It took 5 days to get there and then our friends drove into Birdsville to get it. That took another 3 days.
Fitting it took less than 15 minutes.
P1100372e.jpg
Total repair costs were a tank of fuel and dinner at the Birdsville pub for our friends. There was a problem with the axle that broke, so the replacement one only cost the postage.
And we got to spend an extra 8 days relaxing in the beautiful Simpson Desert. :)
P1100258e.jpg
Another alternative is to bring the mechanic (complete with parts and tools) to the vehicle instead of taking the vehicle to the mechanic. I have an arrangement with my mechanic. He will come to me ANYWHERE (for a price), if I ask him. I never have needed to, but the option is there.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If your truck breaks down in a remote area, recovering the vehicle is just one of the options available.
A few years ago we broke a rear axle in the middle of the Simpson Desert (20km west of Poeppel Corner). Driving out on the front axle was not an option.
View attachment 774821
There was a recovery vehicle available in Birdsville.
View attachment 774820
The owner charges by the hour, from the moment he receives the call until he is back in the pub having a beer. And that is 24/7. Many recoveries from the Simpson can take a couple of days.
The cost would have been A$10,000 plus.
Instead, we used a sat phone to call bloke in Melbourne, 1500km+ away (as the crow flies). He had a spare axle that suited and he posted it to Birdsville for us. It took 5 days to get there and then our friends drove into Birdsville to get it. That took another 3 days.
Fitting it took less than 15 minutes.
View attachment 774822
Total repair costs were a tank of fuel and dinner at the Birdsville pub for our friends. There was a problem with the axle that broke, so the replacement one only cost the postage.
And we got to spend an extra 8 days relaxing in the beautiful Simpson Desert. :)
View attachment 774823
Another alternative is to bring the mechanic (complete with parts and tools) to the vehicle instead of taking the vehicle to the mechanic. I have an arrangement with my mechanic. He will come to me ANYWHERE (for a price), if I ask him. I never have needed to, but the option is there.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

I would have been tempted to weld that together or drive out in 3wd ( with the rear locker on ). Great story, thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior