Help choosing a Tacoma

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
There are many differences between the offroad and the sport editions. As said above, the offroad does not come in a DCLB configuration, short bed only. The offroad does not have color keyed mirrors, door handles, or bumper. For some people, this matters. The Sport has linear rate front springs, the Offroad has progressive rate front springs. Both have Bilstein shocks. The Offroad has ATRAC, I don't know whether the Sports do now, but previous year Sports did not have ATRAC. ATRAC is amazing, BTW, and not something that you can add aftermarket. The offroad has a locker, the Sport does not. The Offroad also has a different braking system which is allegedly better at stopping (I can't remember the details, but they are different) to accommodate ATRAC. Also, the offroad comes with either hill descent assist (AT) or clutch start cancel (MT), I do not know whether the Sport comes with these options.

As said above, the DCSB is already a bit long for tight back country areas. Tight enough that I am grateful I did not have a longer vehicle. I would not take a DCLB places that I will take my DCSB. That being said, I'm sure the DCLB tows better.

The OR Tacoma is one of the most capable vehicles you can buy (I'd say fourth to the Rubicon, the FJC, and the 4runner trail). I have often heard people say they wished they had purchased an offroad edition. I have also heard people lament the chrome bumper/grill, black mirrors/handles, and lack of faux hood scoop hood (sport edition only). But these are cosmetic items. Sometimes people wish they had purchased a DCLB for cargo space or towing. I rarely hear owners who travel in remote places complain that the ATRAC and locker were a waste of money.

I ultimately purchase the OR because it is incredibly feature rich and serve my backcountry travel demands extreme well. A stock OR Tacoma will go almost anywhere and do almost anything.

Sent via fat thumb

Subspd

Adventurer
ATRAC is something I did forget about and is a worthy option to have. Hmmm forget a Tacoma and just get a 4Runner Trail they have all the goodies...

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I really like the 4Runner Trail, but compared to the OR Tacoma, they are 800 lbs heavier, cost $10k+ more, and the visability and cargo space sucks out loud. In their favor is the lever shifted tcase, 110" wheelbase and KDSS. For me, the Tacoma just makes more sense.

dubbaDYota

Observer
tacoma resale value better then a 4runner? :eek:

The OR tacoma includes the ATRAC and rear-locker - huge upgrade over the sport/SR5 edition not only in traction but in all around braking as well. the sport/SR5 have open diffs only in 4-LOW. Ask yourself what kind of terrain you plan on tackling before making your decision as well.

Also the rear leg room is quite small in the DC tacoma. i had my heart set on a white DC Off road package until the wife and I test drove it. Love the truck, hated the rear seat space or lack thereof.

ETA: Take a look at this thread from Tacoma World. It lists the available 4WD modes for the Tacoma (Same for FJ and 4Runner)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-controls-trac-auto-lsd-trac-rear-locker.html

Last edited:

millerfish

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input... I pulled the trigger on a 14 DC SB TRD-OR Americam Built. Now I have to wait for it to get here. Now let the modifications begin...

millerfish

Adventurer
It took a while but I now have the truck. Went on the first outing and performed pretty well for a stock vehicle...3.jpg

juicebox

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input... I pulled the trigger on a 14 DC SB TRD-OR Americam Built. Now I have to wait for it to get here. Now let the modifications begin...

I thought 2008+ were built in Mexico... What state was yours built in? Not that it really matters, quality is the same I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78