Help - Confused about lifts

CodyY

Explorer
I concur, but would put lockers in there with tires over more height.

My shop motto is "Capability - Drivability" and you don't get that from ProComp and big tires.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Already there - proly should have clarified. I do have a Rubicon JKU. Plenty capable for my needs. Just would prefer a little bit more lift when I put the bumper/winch, and top on. Was mostly concerned about the additional weight. Proper setup is paramount, IMO.

C.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I like Rough country products.

I do too. While you hear folks complain about their products, my LJ is the 3rd jeep I have had that I used RC and have been satisfied. There are other lifts I have used (Rubicon Express, BDS) and yes, the ride was better, but not significantly better. Just as important to me, is less money spent and I have had nothing but great customer service in all instances.

Just my opinion, but based on at least some experience.

Good luck with your selection.

John

BradJ

When you turn the wheels.....

So where are we rubbing vertically with the wheels turned with 1" taller tires and a 2"+ lift. Not to be a smart ***, but responding to a smart *** response. I think it might be assumed that taller tires means wider tires...not necessarily true?

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Am I the only person who reads "Help - Confused About lifts" in the new posts section and keeps thinking that the last word in the title is not "lifts" but rather a slang term for a female body part?

squint

Adventurer
So far, I have had Terraflex, RE and OME. I did not like the Terra, I like the RE (but don't like the disconnects) and absolutely love the OME - the ride quality is well worth the money.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Tire clearance is simple physics in relation to how much room is around it, offset directly affects where the tire will hit as it goes up and down inside the wheel well, google will explain it in very simple terms.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Tires, Tires Tires….everyone who owns a Jeep has the dream of rolling tall and getting noticed. People will say, “no I’m not into the big tire thing”…that is BS.

I'm not into the big tire thing.

I like the AEV stuff...but compared to others they seem to be overpriced. That causes me to question it. Is it really that good?

AEV is certainly not overpriced. You get what you pay for out there, and this is especially true in the automotive aftermarket.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
What is considered a "big tire" I have 32" tires on my Grand and I think those are big.

Inline6

Adventurer
I'm sure you could also find someone in the atl area to go on a few rides with and see how you like their setups.

But for 33's and your weight a simple spacer lift would work as well. Get you back to stock ride height. Out back different springs may be needed due to more weight when loaded back there. Just some simple thoughts.

Adventurer
Thanks...was doing my best to try not to sound like a **********. People sometimes take honesty as somebody trying to be an *****. I just hate to see people fall into the trap and end up wasting money and never get out on the road to enjoy all the hard work.

HI golden,
Actually, I think your post is the best balanced and rational I have seen. You are a wise man and I think an experienced one. Especially new Jeepers should read your original post carefully. It is packed with good advice. Of course, often such a practical approach is not heeded because the person just wants to make a fashion statement. Well, there's nothing that can be done about that.

When I bought my '89 YJ Jeep (78K miles and no rust) with the 258 ci engine and manual transmission in the year 2000 I was a complete newbe to the Jeep world. My YJ was totally stock. All I wanted was to hit the trails, have some fun, and see some of beautiful New Mexico. One day at the Jeep dealership (a place where I eventually spent much time and money) my parts guy Ben (he is the best) handed me a business card announcing the Sandia Jeep Club. A week later I joined. It was the best thing I could have done. Lots of smart folks with long and varied backgrounds in the 4wd world.

Oh sure, we had our share of flakes. It took a while before I could sort out the folks with real knowledge from those who just wanted to impress their girl friends. I was into a brand new world complete with magazines, trail rides, super events (Chile Challenge), and most importantly, an infinite selection of Jeep goodies to buy, all available on the internet.

With the help of the folks who knew, I was able to build MY Jeep for ME. Over the years I can see that I made a lot of wise choices. Examples of the major ones:
1. Warn 8274 Winch, the first item I bought
2. Howell fuel injection; dumped the carb; can't beat the Howell
3. Dual batteries; a difficult choice because of the expense but proven to be a good decision. Upgraded alternator to 160 amps
4. A modest 2 1/2 OME lift.
5. Tara Low transfer case 4:1 gears
6. Stock 3.56 diff gears; Tom Woods driveshaft
7. ARB lockers front and rear
8. 31" Pro Comp tires
9. Warn front bumper and Tomkin rear bumper with spare carrier
10. Tomkin rock sliders
11. Without a lot of lift, I put skid plates everywhere including the U-Bolts
12. I had added a lot of weight. The brakes turned to ********. Installed a Vanco hydraulic assist brake system with hi temp pads and shoes. I now have great brakes.

There were many minor changes all aimed at improving reliability or giving better creature comforts.

With the above mods I had my basic platform. From here I worked to make my Jeep into a capable expedition vehicle. "Expedition" is not a term you usually see associated with the short wheelbase Jeeps. But, I'm here to say it's do-able and works well. The important thing to note here is an expedition vehicle was my original goal. All of the mods were added with this in mind. Impressing the girls or crawling rocks were not in the game plan. I had a plan and stuck to it. I believe this is the key to any good Jeep build. Just like goldenbeagle said.

To underline my experiences with my YJ, my new/used JKU 3.73/6 speed will remain essentially stock with the exception of a Warn winch and ARB lockers. I want it to be trail capable but not crazy capable. The winch and lockers are already installed. So is a full laptop based GPS navigation system. This is a pretty impressive vehicle. And very comfortable.

Sparky

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
Gonna try and address everything going on in this one post. There seems to be a lot of good questions and info being laid out for discussion.

Again folks this is just my opinion.

Jfarris – I dig OME. My brother has been in the offroad/hot Rod game for 25 years. Just recently he put a lift on his FSJ…it was OME. He could have gotten a cheaper lift but told me to shut my mouth. He went on to tell me OME was one of the longest and most well known lift companies on the market and he has used it on every OR rig he has built. So just from that conversation and know my brother tells it likes he feels it, I say OME is yet another great choice in lifts.

Cshontz – IMO AEV is somewhat overpriced when compared to other companies and their lifts. A lot of people feel that way. But it still does not take away from the trusted design…the stuff is hands down quality stuff. I also disagree with the “you get what you pay for” in the automotive aftermarket. The majority of the so called “higher end” parts out on the market are expensive because of A: the name and B: the price of advertising. Now if we are talking custom work, yes you get what you pay for. I mean I have talked to so many guys at KOH (King of the Hammers). If you ask them about brands, they will give you the skinny straight up (unless its their sponsor and then they will talk the talk to keep in good graces). But all those professional teams use custom products or miss match other products to save money from buying the “hot special” that is guaranteed to be the best and guaranteed to empty the wallet. Same goes for the Hot Rod circuit….everything that is name brand is expensive ….but again…that is not to say that every company that has high dollar parts is comparable to some mid range company. You get what you pay for up until a certain extent. Please don't take that as me zipping to start a pissing match. Just speaking my mind and opening up the door for conversation and knowledge to be gained.

Scootr29 – I think a big tire is when you start going 2 to 3 sizes larger than your stock tire. Cause we all know a 30 or 31 looks kinda small on a jeep TJ but on an XJ they look big.

Black ZJ- I have run 33 and 35's myself on my Jeep…35's look sexy but are a big difference than the feel of a set of 33's. To run the 35's I would need a bunch more upgrades to make things comfortable.

Inline6 – Great point. I drove some friends jeeps before mine was lifted. It gave me a good feel of how things were in regards to lifts, tires, etc.

Karma – thanks for the support and kind words…just looking to help a fellow lad out and hope to send him down the path of enjoyment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger