HELP me decide: GFC Topper or A.R.E. DCU

What would you buy?

• Total voters

Chaplain

Subject Truck: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
My Ram

I need a shell to sleep out of (not necessarily camp out of) from time to time. Shell needs to be light, able to endure offroad abuse and low profile. I've nailed it down to GFC new topper and A.R.E DCU topper with barn doors and sliding windows on the side.
GFC Topper GFC Video
A.R.E. DCU

Love the GFC company/people, light, USA made and offroad proven. But wish their topper had windows on the side to let breeze in while sleeping back there and not much for extras.

ARE is almost as light, can be optioned out with widows on sides, barn doors, lights, and even a backup camera, plus it looks better (MHO). Aluminum frame throughout gives more options if one wanted to mount something from the ceiling inside or just being able to expand into more of an expedition topper. But, not sure how much it will weigh out with the glass windows and how it will hold up bombing through the offroad.

Thoughts, options, facts?

Attachments

• Beach.jpg
    Beach.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

sn_85

Observer
A different option but have you looked into the Radica Moonlander? It's a unique take on a camper top that allows you to keep COG low, have insulation and options for windows, and you can sleep in a east-west configuration. Yeah it sticks out to the side a bit but at least it keeps height down and looks stealthy overall. Looks like you can build it up however you want as well which is a great option. I think these units are getting more popular since there's no pop-up either.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had a GFC and liked it a lot but like my RSI better. I know you never asked about an RSI but might check one out.

I assume you've got a 6' bed and you're not over 6' tall?

I've got a mid-height ARE DCU with barn doors that I sleep in and camp out of.

One of the strengths of the DCU, I think, is that it looks like just a normal truck, no matter where you go. Just park the truck, open the door, and sleep. No wedge tent to look weird in a random parking lot, if you need to sleep at a rest stop or some such. The downside is that, as an expedition platform, you have less space since your bed is not on your roof.

Chaplain

A different option but have you looked into the Radica Moonlander? It's a unique take on a camper top that allows you to keep COG low, have insulation and options for windows, and you can sleep in a east-west configuration. Yeah it sticks out to the side a bit but at least it keeps height down and looks stealthy overall. Looks like you can build it up however you want as well which is a great option. I think these units are getting more popular since there's no pop-up either.

I have not see these units before. Pretty cool and light weight but a little too much "camper" look for me. Thank you for the option.

I have had a GFC and liked it a lot but like my RSI better. I know you never asked about an RSI but might check one out.

I have looked into the RSI units. They are real cool looking and like the full glass side. Last time I looked at them they did not offer units for fullsize trucks and I don't want the weight of Stainless Steel. Thanks for the option.

I assume you've got a 6' bed and you're not over 6' tall? I've got a mid-height ARE DCU with barn doors that I sleep in and camp out of.
One of the strengths of the DCU, I think, is that it looks like just a normal truck, no matter where you go. Just park the truck, open the door, and sleep. No wedge tent to look weird in a random parking lot, if you need to sleep at a rest stop or some such. The downside is that, as an expedition platform, you have less space since your bed is not on your roof.

You are correct I have a short-bed and am inseam challenged, therefore I can sleep lengthwise in the bed of my truck. Next post will be searching for hanging/folding cot options.
Anyway, I agree with you in the DCU looking more normal truck and when they are painted to match the whole package looks good. You got exactly what I'm looking to accomplish, park and sleep without any fuss and incognito. I figure if I need more sleeping space in the future both GFC and Alu-Cab offer sleek & light RTT. Bed space wise I plan on a cot that can fold up against the wall or be removed easily if needed. I also plan to get the spare out of the bed and onto the bumper to give me more bed space.
truck bed pic

Chaplain

I assume you've got a 6' bed and you're not over 6' tall?

I've got a mid-height ARE DCU with barn doors that I sleep in and camp out of.

Quick question: What do you do when you need to haul something (lumber) that is longer then your bed? With a traditional topper you can just rest the lumber on the tailgate and the rear door down on the lumber held in place with a bungie. What do you do with the barn doors in that scenario?

That's a good question. Mine is a dedicated camper build, so I don't use it for anything but overlanding and some daily driving. I had to move a couple of long 2x6's once, and I put them through the window passage between the truck and cap.

You've got a really interesting problem, I think. The balance between keeping it a TRUCK truck and overlanding. I might stick with something more like the GFC if you need it to continue to be a truck also. And, also, even with Paint to Match, the ARE is going to be almost ... half as much?

You've rejected traditional cap's and softcaps?

jadmt

ignore button user
I have not see these units before. Pretty cool and light weight but a little too much "camper" look for me. Thank you for the option.

I have looked into the RSI units. They are real cool looking and like the full glass side. Last time I looked at them they did not offer units for fullsize trucks and I don't want the weight of Stainless Steel. Thanks for the option.

You are correct I have a short-bed and am inseam challenged, therefore I can sleep lengthwise in the bed of my truck. Next post will be searching for hanging/folding cot options.
Anyway, I agree with you in the DCU looking more normal truck and when they are painted to match the whole package looks good. You got exactly what I'm looking to accomplish, park and sleep without any fuss and incognito. I figure if I need more sleeping space in the future both GFC and Alu-Cab offer sleek & light RTT. Bed space wise I plan on a cot that can fold up against the wall or be removed easily if needed. I also plan to get the spare out of the bed and onto the bumper to give me more bed space.
truck bed pic
they will be lighter than an ARE and way lighter than a gfc. Is your truck a long box? I have one on my ram 2500 same truck I had the gfc on. My GFC was heavier than gfc claimed mine was about 450lbs and the rsi is 268lbs. View attachment 767027

Chaplain

they will be lighter than an ARE and way lighter than a gfc. Is your truck a long box? I have one on my ram 2500 same truck I had the gfc on. My GFC was heavier than gfc claimed mine was about 450lbs and the rsi is 268lbs. View attachment 767027

My mind is a little blown here. I thought I read somewhere that the GFC topper was only 135# and I remember the RSI being much heavier than that. Just looked it up and you are right, 235# for the RSI. What year is your Ram? (the attachment didn't work) The RSI fitment guide only goes back to the '09-19 Ram. I never know how correct those fitment guides are since they lump the 09 in with the 2010-2019 models which are completely different generations. Anyway... Also, did you have the GFC with the tubular frame or the newer style?

jadmt

ignore button user
My mind is a little blown here. I thought I read somewhere that the GFC topper was only 135# and I remember the RSI being much heavier than that. Just looked it up and you are right, 235# for the RSI. What year is your Ram? (the attachment didn't work) The RSI fitment guide only goes back to the '09-19 Ram. I never know how correct those fitment guides are since they lump the 09 in with the 2010-2019 models which are completely different generations. Anyway... Also, did you have the GFC with the tubular frame or the newer style?
2020. gfc made an ultra light roof top tent that might have weighed 135lbs but even their v2 topper is much heavier than the rsi. I have been to the gfc factory several times. great guys. everyone I dealt with told me they liked the V1 frame better. It did have some hinge issues but they were great about fixing them.

tIMG_20220608_151121473_HDR-1.jpgIMG_20210731_114855578_HDR.jpeg

jadmt

ignore button user
I can also tell you 2 guys can lift and install the RSI (my buddy bought one used and we loaded it ourselves with a 3rd personguiding it on) but without an overhead crane it took 5 of us all pretty strong to get the gfc installed. the frame is pretty awesome tho. I never ran without the side doors but the new hinges make it so you can and that would have been kind of trick looking.

GeorgeHayduke

The side doors on the GFC are pretty awesome for bed access, and you can option it to preserve seeing out your rear view mirror if you want. Also, I think the two GFC products and weights are getting mixed up. The GFC topper is supposed to be 135# while the GFC camper is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300#.

Shawn686

Observer
Get barn doors, they are game changing

Not only are they better for you getting in and out of it, they make using the bed easy. I have a high top sloped roof DCU on my 1500. Get one of the high top ones if you can swing it, gives you way more room to use it day to day. And much more comfortable if you sleep in it. Look for a used, one companies sell then all the time in many different configs. Also look for Leer toppers they are nearly carbon copies. I got mine for $500 from a dealership that took it in on a trade in.

If you do opt to look for one that is taller than the cab get the wedge/sloped roof version. I have had both and the the wedge ones are way way less noisy and you get better mileage

Shawn

Chaplain

Get barn doors, they are game changing

Not only are they better for you getting in and out of it, they make using the bed easy. I have a high top sloped roof DCU on my 1500. Get one of the high top ones if you can swing it, gives you way more room to use it day to day. And much more comfortable if you sleep in it. Look for a used, one companies sell then all the time in many different configs. Also look for Leer toppers they are nearly carbon copies. I got mine for $500 from a dealership that took it in on a trade in.

If you do opt to look for one that is taller than the cab get the wedge/sloped roof version. I have had both and the the wedge ones are way way less noisy and you get better mileage

Shawn

Couple things:
I go in and out of parking structures/garages too often and that is why I don't want one that goes above the cab and the same reason I don't want a rtt.
How do you haul things that are longer then the bed? For example a trip to HomeDepot, or like last week I had to haul some pallet racking and just had it rest on the edge of the tailgate. This doesn't happen often but not sure how I would haul a sheet of plywood for example with barn doors. I do like the way they look and I do like the idea of stepping into my bed through one instead of climbing over a tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online