HELP!! with electrical part...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm searching & searching for something that I swear I've seen, but can't find anywhere. I need a distribution block for some accessories. The catch is that I need it for 1ga wire. What I'm doing is running a cable from the battery to a solenoid, and I want to go to a dist block. From there I will run cable to my winch, front & rear power ports, and to my air compressor. I of course want it heavy duty, and compact. Any help?? Send me in the right direction? Thanks!!!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Possibly the strip on the firewall of mid to late 90's GM trucks? Sort of like #2303:
bluesea23032304.jpg

I doubt that the GM part's bus bar is capable of winch class current, but the studs are big enough to put several large cables on one.

That, or: Blue Sea Power Post
009_273_004_010.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
It's gonna have to be real beefy if you want to run your winch off of it. I don't know of anything off the top of my head that can handle that load and other items.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
It is not, but the GM part is very similar. I was just looking at one yesterday at the local PYP.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Blue Sea Systems makes the 2303. In all honesty you could make your own heavy duty distribution block if you can't find one that suits your liking. A strip of 3/8x1.5" steel bar with a bunch of 1/2" bolts poking through and welded in would do it. Isolate the back with a piece of glued on Phenolic and you'd be good to go.

The 2303 is only rated to 150A, so you woudln't be able to use it as a winch power point.

Spence

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for all the help guys! I never thought of making one.......... guess that's one way to get exactly what I want.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
FWIW the 2303 is limited to 150A through the bus bar. Could only use one of the studs. Which is essentially the power post linked above. Those have no power rating since the current mostly flows through the stack of terminals and not entirely through the stud itself. I used a power post on the 60 to fix positive battery cable problem it had while also giving me a place to tap into battery power for future mods.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
mountainpete said:
Ujoint,

Instead of building something, I would actually look towards the car audio industry. There are lots of 1 gauge distribution blocks available that are really high quality. Guys are running massive amps, automation and AV systems through those blocks.

Just a quick sample here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_715/Power-Distribution-Hardware.html?tp=792

Just go down to a local Car Toys or super high end car audio shop and browse around.

Pete

Perfect!! I actually did go to my stereo buddy, but he couldn't find anything. (he's in the middle of moving his shop, a little chaotic) The StreetWires DBX30 is close to what I need, will do the trick. Thanks for the link!!!!! ----Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman