HEMA Explorer North America

ChadHahn

Adventurer
If the back of your iPad looks like this (the part at the top could be white) then you don't need an external GPS it has one built in.

Chad

Ipad_Air_Back-500x500.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
If the back of your iPad looks like this (the part at the top could be white) then you don't need an external GPS it has one built in.

Chad

That wasn't really my question. (I really should ask in the hardware thread.)

What I was asking was does the built-in GPS function well enough, or is an external one preferred?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
That wasn't really my question. (I really should ask in the hardware thread.)

What I was asking was does the built-in GPS function well enough, or is an external one preferred?

I've found the GPS in my iPad to be very good. However this experience is primarily in MotionX which uses the acellerometer to concur with the GPS reading, so it kinda double checks, and unless you really teleported 200ft in .01 seconds and had an associated G force, it's not going to make a messy trail.

I will say this, I live in a metal roofed house, my iPad will get some kind of lock indoors and knows where it is, my phone, and standalone GPS units will not hold a lock inside. I doubt it's supplemented much by cell towers as signal in my area is very weak.

I would use the internal iPad GPS until such time you have a specific issue arise with lack of accuracy.

vdeal

Observer
If your iPad is cellular capable then it has a built in GPS chip. No external GPS unit would be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
One thing to note for anyone planning to use the Hema Android version, the two main bugs that haven't been fixed:
-KM only
-No SD Card map storage

Should be fixed in the next update, hopefully very soon - but I don't have an exact timeframe.

Also, don't forget that you can sync trips that have been loaded into the Hema Cloud directly to your app - so you can retrace routes that others have done. Event the really cool CDR Expedition once it's all published =)

http://hema.li/cloud

andrew32

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there not a way to add waypoints from the cloud on my computer? Trying to do some trip planning and doing it on my computer would be so much faster.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there not a way to add waypoints from the cloud on my computer? Trying to do some trip planning and doing it on my computer would be so much faster.

If you're signed into the cloud, you can click the "+" button on the menu on the right to create a waypoint or Route. Does that help?

zigsrig

Adventurer
Also, don't forget that you can sync trips that have been loaded into the Hema Cloud directly to your app - so you can retrace routes that others have done. Event the really cool CDR Expedition once it's all published =)

http://hema.li/cloud

Question about this... Whats the best way to "search" for these routes on the cloud? I keep looking for some of the stuff that has been publicized to have been tracked for this app, but I can't seem to find any of them on the cloud (i.e. the XO guys trip, or any of the hema trip thats been all over this site).

user error? or are they not up yet?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Question about this... Whats the best way to "search" for these routes on the cloud? I keep looking for some of the stuff that has been publicized to have been tracked for this app, but I can't seem to find any of them on the cloud (i.e. the XO guys trip, or any of the hema trip thats been all over this site).

The XO stuff is not up yet and as Chris is still on their CD trip, I'm sure it's on hold too. I've got the XO Drive to Summit route nearly ready to upload

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor

If you make sure 'public trips' are turned on as a layer, when you browse around the map give it a second and things will start to populate.

One issue we're having is that the AWS that serves the data is still AU based, so it's a little sluggish for us here in the US. A plan to better distribute that is on the roadmap =)

andrew32

If you're signed into the cloud, you can click the "+" button on the menu on the right to create a waypoint or Route. Does that help?

Oops, I left out an important part of my questions.

Is there a way to add waypoints using coordinates? I have a lot of coordinates id like to transfer into HEMA maps, but it looks like I cna only add by droping a pin...and once its there...its there.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Gotcha...that's a feature that will hopefully be added in the new cloud interface that's currently under development. For now, I suggest creating a Google Earth KMZ with your coordinates (you can import from a spreadsheet to KMZ using a tool like this: http://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-kml.htm)

Then import the KMZ into the Hema Cloud, then you're good to go =)

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Creating a route between two waypoints

I'm suffering from Googling fatigue trying to figure this out so I thought I'd ask for help here. I am planning a trip in Mexico. I am trying to create a route between two waypoints (created from GPS coordinates). The route between them is not a maintained road. It's dirt tracks. How do I go about doing this in the HEMA North America iOS App? Can I do it on the HEMA cloud? Shouldn't it be relatively easy to create a route between two waypoints? What am I missing?

1Louder

Explorer
I'm suffering from Googling fatigue trying to figure this out so I thought I'd ask for help here. I am planning a trip in Mexico. I am trying to create a route between two waypoints (created from GPS coordinates). The route between them is not a maintained road. It's dirt tracks. How do I go about doing this in the HEMA North America iOS App? Can I do it on the HEMA cloud? Shouldn't it be relatively easy to create a route between two waypoints? What am I missing?

How far is the distance between the points? Can you provide any other additional details to make it easier for folks to try to replicate what you are trying to do? Like starting point and ending point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online