HEMA Explorer North America

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I really have high hopes for this still. I just bought a 1TB remote hard drive (USB powered) that I plan to download all maps to, and keep it in the glovebox of the truck connected back to the tablet for storage. But I need the ability to download maps via a computer, and save to the HDD.... then connect that to a tablet later.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I really have high hopes for this still. I just bought a 1TB remote hard drive (USB powered) that I plan to download all maps to, and keep it in the glovebox of the truck connected back to the tablet for storage. But I need the ability to download maps via a computer, and save to the HDD.... then connect that to a tablet later.

That sounds very ambitious! Which device are you using? While we're not sure the bug is fixed on ALL android devices, I've tested the new android version on my Lenovo + Samsung and I was able to save all my maps to SD card. A 64gb SD card would likely hold down to Zoom level 13 for many, many states. Could be a good work around for you?

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L

Wow - never thought of this as an option...love the idea of saving maps to an external hard drive and accessing them on my iPad.

I'd like to hear from anyone who is doing this.

Some options appear to include:
http://www.macworld.com/article/290...or-adding-storage-to-your-iphone-or-ipad.html
https://www.lifewire.com/best-external-hard-drives-ipad-1994420
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=ipad read from external hard drive

Last edited:

davkenrem

Observer
Long time luker, first time post on this subject. I have had problems downloading maps ever since I installed this in summer of 2015. Updated to V.1.0.3 yesterday and this version will not even get past the intro screens before crashing. Seems like the Andriod version is going backwards.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
To get a glimpse of how we used the Hema Explorer app every day for 6,000+ miles, check out Part 1 of my family's portion of the CDR Expedition:
http://tctmagazine.net/fall-2016/6-days-on-hema-map-patrol-part-1
Shane, kudos to you and all that you do! Running TCTmagazine cannot be easy.

I read your article, and I feel compelled to point out the inaccuracies in your journalism. My viewpoint is that magazine journalism is a little bit about entertainment, and a little bit about reporting the facts. The entertainment in your article comes through clearly. However, the few facts portrayed about the Hema Explorer app are at worst, incorrect, and at best, misleading. I suspect that you were using a version that wasn't available to the public, and if that is the case, you should've mentioned that fact. It would also help your readers to let them know the exact hardware and software version you are using. It is unfortunate that the reader doesn't even know if you are using IOS or Android.

Your screenshot of the app from Day 2 shows miles and miles/hour and altitude in feet! Anyone that has read this thread should wonder how that shot was generated, because they will know it didn't come from the Android HE app that was available to the public when you recorded your trip.

Perhaps it will be more clear in the next installment, and perhaps this wasn't intended as a review of the HE app, but there is a lot that isn't mentioned. Did you download all of the area maps before you left your home? How long did that take, how much space did that take up, and what hardware did you use that had enough internal storage to hold all those maps? What zoom level did you use, and which map source did you download? Did that zoom level show the roads you were actually on? This last is brought up because if the zoom level is too low, then you don't actually see the tertiary roads that are typically traveled in this type of trip.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Shane, kudos to you and all that you do! Running TCTmagazine cannot be easy.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I really appreciate your point of view.

The article was meant to cover our expierience on Map Patrol, not a review of the app. I will not write a review of the app for the magazine since it would be a conflict.

To answer your questions:
We ran iPad Mini 4s for the entire trip, no android since it was a bit buggy.

We used mostly Here Terrain, USGS Topo, and USGS 7.5 as our main map layers. All downloaded to zoom 15 which is perfect for almost all overland travel (IMHO). Downloads were done whenever we had good wifi.

We also planned the entire trip on paper Benchmark maps. They have great detail and were very valuable for planning & previewing each day.

Hope this helps ;)

Shane

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
The article was meant to cover our expierience on Map Patrol, not a review of the app. I will not write a review of the app for the magazine since it would be a conflict.
Okay, thanks for the explanation.

We used mostly Here Terrain, USGS Topo, and USGS 7.5 as our main map layers. All downloaded to zoom 15 which is perfect for almost all overland travel (IMHO). Downloads were done whenever we had good wifi.
Thanks. It seems to depend on the map layer, but I've found that the zoom level needs to be very high to show all the minor dirt roads that I travel on. Strangely, the zoom level that shows the minor dirt roads is different for the Samsung Tab A vs. the Samsung Galaxy S5. I've found that ~13.5 for the former and 15 for the latter shows all the roads I care about.

We also planned the entire trip on paper Benchmark maps. They have great detail and were very valuable for planning & previewing each day.
I'm totally sold on the Benchmark Atlas series! My only complaint is that some of the roads shown on the maps are private. If that were corrected, I'd like to see the Benchmark maps as one of the map options in HE!

NYCOH

Observer
finally got my SD card feature to work with the new update and showing mph & miles...unfortunately i had to reinstall the app to make anything work...this lost me two huge tracks that i still am unhappy about...luckily i know the route in my head still and do hope to revisit many of the areas in the coming years...

couple things....

1. i have preferred the US - Thunderforest Outdoor map, it seems most of the time i have to run a zoom of 14-15 in order to see the features and trails that i need to see...these maps do get fairly large when you're downloading a full state of detail....
- what have people been using for their preferred maps? do you typically have to run zoom levels 14-15 to see the detail needed for your trips?

2. shane, next project...enable the ability to download maps on the cloud to our account so we may sync the maps on our device...another nice feature would be to see the current map downloads on the main map maybe as an outline so we can quickly see what areas we do not have covered...also, on the map information page, include what zoom level the map download was set to...

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
finally got my SD card feature to work with the new update and showing mph & miles...unfortunately i had to reinstall the app to make anything work...this lost me two huge tracks that i still am unhappy about...luckily i know the route in my head still and do hope to revisit many of the areas in the coming years...

couple things....

1. i have preferred the US - Thunderforest Outdoor map, it seems most of the time i have to run a zoom of 14-15 in order to see the features and trails that i need to see...these maps do get fairly large when you're downloading a full state of detail....
- what have people been using for their preferred maps? do you typically have to run zoom levels 14-15 to see the detail needed for your trips?

2. shane, next project...enable the ability to download maps on the cloud to our account so we may sync the maps on our device...another nice feature would be to see the current map downloads on the main map maybe as an outline so we can quickly see what areas we do not have covered...also, on the map information page, include what zoom level the map download was set to...

Thanks for the feedback =)

1) When I'm prepping for offline use, I'll download USGS, USGS 7.5, and Here Terrain at Zoom 13 for a large area (usually about half a state at a time). Those downloads aren't too bad space wise. Then I'll get more detailed down to zoom 15 on either Here Terrain or Thunderforest for the specific smaller areas.

2) Once you've defined a map on the device, that definition will sync to the cloud so if you sync other devices, the same layers & zoom levels that you downloaded on Device A will show up on Device B, but you'll have to resume the download.
In the cloud, you can view your definitions by clicking "Maps" on your account info. You can also share this definition with friends, here's one for a small section of Wyoming we did during the CDR:
https://cloud.hemaexplorer.com/public/dJXQXQgAdMgzzHKl0YVg3mfR//

I agree it would be nice to turn on a layer that shows which maps you've downloaded, but you can get this info by trying to download a new area. A yellow box will show up that shows which layers have already been downloaded. I think we originally expected folks to delete old maps after a trip is over, so we may need to rework how storing maps works for a future update.

Lastly, if you click on the Downloaded Maps button it should show which zoom levels were downloaded. It does on iOS but I haven't checked on Android yet.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters

What did your app do (or not do) that required a re-install?

NYCOH

Observer
What did your app do (or not do) that required a re-install?
wasn't able to sync my track nor export my track

tried for a few days to delete maps off my tablet to free up space. it would then delete the map out of hema, but not off my tablet, so i'd still show full storage...

moving my root folder to my SD card was not working even after the update

it was beyond frustrating...finally said **** it...gives me an excuse to go back there...

one was my copper globe to cathedral valley trip with many great waypoints....second was my SEMA trip that worked my way from green river>squeeze>mollys castle>wild horse>muddy creek>caineville reef>notom>burr trail>wolverine>alstrom point>paiute cave>toroweap>nampaweap>mount trumbull>st george then a side trip through beaver dam mountains

i've gone through and way pointed many of the highlights so i can make finding them a little easier at least...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan