here is a way to use a sand ladder

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Very interesting.

I wonder how they keep from getting bound up? I mean, if the ladder was solidly connected to each tire, then if one tire slips they would bind. Know what I mean?

However, it appears in the video that one tire slips a little, and the system still works.

I remember an episode of JunkYard Wars where one team attempted to build a walking machine something like this, but couldn't keep the wheels turning in unison, so it destroyed itself.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Lynn said:
Very interesting.

I wonder how they keep from getting bound up? I mean, if the ladder was solidly connected to each tire, then if one tire slips they would bind. Know what I mean?....

Theoretically, assuming they have locked differentials (which I am 100% sure they do), and the drive system between the two axles has zero slip (such as a standard driveshaft configuration). There wouldn't be a way for the two to move independent of eachother, they would essentially stay clocked?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
resurrecting an OLD thread (reading this forum in reverse because i'm sure there are some good old ideas I haven't seen and will never again be on the first page if not for an activity such as this) but I thought this was a really cool idea. However, if you look closely you can see the ladder is bent slightly the last time they show it (2:30ish probably, don't have the video up at the moment). A bend shortens the effective length of the ladder (from mount-to-mount) (shortest distance between two points is a straight line, blah blah blah) and a severe enough bend (rock buried in the sand for example that the center of the ladder lands on) would cause some severe damage, to either the ladder (most likely) or the weakest link in the drivetrain (I'd be shocked if anything were weaker than a bent [and thus weaker than normal] aluminum sand ladder). For a bomber setup this should probably have a steel ladder or even better, a chromoly tubular cage regular aluminum ladders can be attached to and replaced easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12