High Altitude...

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Who has run their Montero's/Pajero's at high altitude?

We are potentially moving to Denver next year, and my folks live up in the Rockies at about 8,500ft, where we will likely travel quite often.

Wondering how Montero's perform at that altitude - the 3.5L V6 in my '97 SR is not the most powerful engine, but does well enough here at ~sea level... not sure if it will be out of breath once we get a mile high, and then start climbing higher.

We will definitely want to get out on the "big name" trails like Imogene and Engineer Pass. I am willing to bet a lot of trucks struggle at that altitude with a load, so I know it's all relative.

Currently my SR is basically stock, with 31" all-terrain's. I don't intend to modify it much - I had considered 32's, but not really decided on that.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
It shouldn't, the ECU should adjust everything accordingly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I live at 7000' feet. Traveled this summer at altitudes of 9000' and several trips at 10000' and then some.

The Montero will do just fine.

If you are traveling slow, offroad, drop it in 4lo and you'll be fine.

Dr Gonzo

I also live at high altitude (8750ft / 2600m) so maybe I'll share my 2c.

Although mine is an '03 3.8, they're not that different in power/weight and mine does just fine at this altitude. To get out of town on the east side I have to climb to just over 10,000ft and it does not struggle perceptibly (highway). Unlike most other cars, the Montero does not seem to "wake up" dramatically going down to sea level, so I'd imagine the opposite to be true as well (will not feel like a dog when going to higher altitudes). I think the shortish rear end and first gear help in that regard.

There is however a "break point" in my experience. There's a trail I drive often, where the last bit is a steep soft gravel climb from about 13500ft to 13620 ft(4100m - 4150m) over 180m or so where even 1st gear in 4lo feels like it's out of breath. I think perhaps the ECU adjustment runs out of range. It does the climb, but feels like a soft breeze from the front would be enough to stop it.

So, in my experience (w stock 31" tires): 13500ft on soft gravel and a ~25% grade can just about stop it. Less than that, it just doesn't "show" the altitude as much as most other cars/trucks.

Ah... the joys of living at altitude: You get used to 25% less power all the time and, if it has a turbo, a delivery van will outrun your normally aspirated sportscar! :snorkel:

Cheers!

nckwltn

Explorer
I'm out on a week long journey across Utah/Colorado/Wyoming. I am pulling a small pop up tent trailer with some camping equipment. Plus my dog (Great Dane), wife, 15 month old, and clothes, food, toys, etc.

My impression is that he Montero (gen 2.5) has a lot of difficulty keeping highway speeds at altitude and with an average incline.

I'm dropping at least one gear to make it up the hill and regularly drop from 60 to 45 mph by the time I'm to the top.

Without the trailer I think it would be better for sure. But it feels very under powered in this situation.

Im quite confident that if I were on a back trail at elevation there wouldn't be a problem, because there is 4 low to use.

For note, I did upgrade to the 4.636 gears and am on 33" BFG tires.

Sent from my iPhone

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I've run my Sport (3.5L w 4.90's) at 14,000 ft. full of camping gear, and commonly drive 75+ on the interstate fully loaded all over CO including the major passes. Maybe it's because I used to drive a 4cyl 4runner on 31's with stock gears but the Montero's have plenty of power. I have never really felt the need for more power (although driving our field vehicle twin turbo f-150 does make me giddy). Montero 3.5 still the best blends of power vs. mileage vs. capabilities vs. cost in the 4wd world in my opinion.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I've run my Sport (3.5L w 4.90's) at 14,000 ft. full of camping gear, and commonly drive 75+ on the interstate fully loaded all over CO including the major passes. Maybe it's because I used to drive a 4cyl 4runner on 31's with stock gears but the Montero's have plenty of power. I have never really felt the need for more power (although driving our field vehicle twin turbo f-150 does make me giddy). Montero 3.5 still the best blends of power vs. mileage vs. capabilities vs. cost in the 4wd world in my opinion.

Yours is a Montero Sport. The gearing advantage of the 4.90's alone is a huge difference compared to the 4.27's in the later 2nd gen Montero's. And then you're hauling 400-500lbs less vehicle in a smaller more aerodynamic package. Not quite apples to apples.

nckwltn

Explorer
I did unhook the trailer today and tool around. The weight of the trailer is really zapping the peppieness of the Montero. Although I'm up at 6000k feet, it doesn't feel too much like it without the trailer.

The big thing at altitude is to match your gearing with your tire size. If you increase your tire size. Adjust gearing too. Although when in 4low and moving slow, the Montero has enough power at altitude.

Sent from my iPhone

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Yours is a Montero Sport. The gearing advantage of the 4.90's alone is a huge difference compared to the 4.27's in the later 2nd gen Montero's. And then you're hauling 400-500lbs less vehicle in a smaller more aerodynamic package. Not quite apples to apples.

True, however the sports have a lightly detuned 3.5l, I'm on 32's, and I would venture to guess the final gear ratio ends up being similar as I doubt the transmission runs the same ratios. Point being it's close enough and I don't feel like I am flogging my truck at altitude.

RttH

I've lived here (Colorado) for years and have been driving my 2000 Montero with 33x10.2x15 without any problems. I did drop in the 3.15 low range gears for offroading as the 33's were noticable. Otherwise no issues.

ultrakill

Adventurer
My oil seems to get thin in my Gen 1 above 7000 ft. I see a slight drop in oil pressure when I get that high, and also can hear more valve tick.

vanatee2000

Observer
hey roger, i was wondering if you could tell me what tires you have...are they really 33x10.2x15? what is the metric number for those?

H

High Country Nomads

my new neighbor drives a stock Pajero daily and we live around 8,000 feet, plus there is another one in town that is a daily driver up here. I'm sure it would be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan