High quality hand held (FRS?GMRS)?

JohnnyS

Explorer
We're looking for a set of well made hand helds.
Baofengs always come up, however the made in China thing is off-putting.

Can anyone recommend an alternative high quality dual-band hand held?

Thanks!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The Motorola FRS radios are a good choice. I have a set of the above linked radios that I kept as spare vehicle to vehicle radios for travel when with unlicensed VHF people. They work well.
I also have had good luck with the Motorola Talkabout radios. Make sure what you buy can use alkaline batteries, as well as the rechargable battery pack. Somehow they always go dead at the wrong time and popping in a set of AA or AAA batteries can save the day :)
This post spurred me to check them out as I have not used them in years. The last time used was probably a mission under the crawl space for plumbing repairs. Still working and charging up fine.
Mine have not seen vehicle duty in a long time. Drop me a PM if you want a used set :)

Rando

Explorer
While Motorola makes some very good commercial radios, I don't think most of their "blister pack" FRS/GMRS radios are really any better than any of the other radios, maybe with the exception of the T400 series. I would consider the M series radios to be about on par with the baofeng UV-82 style radios, but you get a lot more functionality* from the UV-82 for about the same price. The other option is to look for some of the older Motorola FRS radios (such as the 'sport' line) which used to be built more like their commercial radios.

*In order to use most of the functionality of the UV-82 you do need a ham radio license, but you can program the UV-82 to operate on MURS/GMRS frequencies, but it is still not exactly legal.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I would think those Motorola MR350 FRS/GMRS units have a much better receiver than a Baofeng (especially a UV5R). Out in the boonies Baofengs do work very well, but their receivers get desensitized somewhat when there are a lot of strong signals in the air such as in or near urban areas.

The best Baofeng units seem to be the GT-3 Mark II or Mark III, however even these exhibit a little bit of receiver desensitization when in the city (probably won't notice it on the handheld duck antenna though).

Rando

Explorer
You are probably right about the selectivity of the receiver on the Baofeng and similar units, but I would agree that this is not a big deal in the RF environments we would likely use them in. My comments were more directed towards the physical attributes of the radios - while the interface of the Baifeng/puxing etc. radios leaves something to be desired, the physical construction is not too bad. To me the blister pack radios feel more like toys then radios. Surprisingly, my $24 UV-82 feels a whole lot more like the Motorola HT750s that I use in the field than pretty much any of the other FRS type radios I have used.

4x4junkie

Explorer
My comments were more directed towards the physical attributes of the radios - while the interface of the Baifeng/puxing etc. radios leaves something to be desired, the physical construction is not too bad.

Indeed my Baofeng GT-3TP Mk-III does have a nice solid feel to it (it even survived an ATV rollover while strapped to the ATV's rack and the rack itself actually getting bent underneath it :eek: ).

The MR350 is more toward the upper end of Motorola's FRS line so I would think that it would be somewhat less "toy-like" than the cheaper stuff (admittedly I don't have any hands-on with it yet, but it did appear decently-made when I looked at a pack of them in a store).

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
If you really want a high quality radio, purchase some used Motorola Commercial HTs off ebay and have it programmed for MURS (VHF) or GMRS (UHF). Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-GP...hash=item3efeb62636:m:m_X4C5XVaTNh7sp845rApqQ
I'll leave out the license issues for now. I'd avoid the VHF/UHF Motorola portable radios unless you are a radio tech and have access to the software and cables. The software is horrible in comparison to the competition. It is also very well protected and difficult to obtain ($$$). The hardware is awesome, tough and performs well. Too bad they are such a pain to program.
That said I have more than a few I use and maintain. Over eighty at last count ;)
If you are truly looking for a robust UHF or VHF duty radio Icom and Kenwood have some good options :)
I like Yaesu if the $$ are there.
END Hyjack=

Now back to the OP subject FRS radios :)

Rando

Explorer
I always thought the programming thing was a real pain too, but according to that ebay listing it comes with the cable and software to program. Maybe someone has finally reverse engineered it and found an easy way to program.

But again, we digress. I am sure the Motorola FRS radios you are looking at will be fine for your application.

I'll leave out the license issues for now. I'd avoid the VHF/UHF Motorola portable radios unless you are a radio tech and have access to the software and cables. The software is horrible in comparison to the competition. It is also very well protected and difficult to obtain ($$$). The hardware is awesome, tough and performs well. Too bad they are such a pain to program.
That said I have more than a few I use and maintain. Over eighty at last count ;)
If you are truly looking for a robust UHF or VHF duty radio Icom and Kenwood have some good options :)
I like Yaesu if the $$ are there.
END Hyjack=

Now back to the OP subject FRS radios :)

pluton

Adventurer
All the blister pack radios I have witnessed, since they came out about 20 years ago, have one overriding feature: they are incapable of being loud enough to hear in anything but a quiet environment. Inside a SUV or truck bouncing along a backcountry road is not a quiet environment. Buy with option to return if unsatisfied.
I have used the more 'pro-style' Kenwoods...the ones you rent for events and film shoots... and they were nice.

stingray1300

Explorer
You might look in to a Kenwood Free Talk XL. It is a Mil-Spec unit FRS/GMRS. Not cheap, but super high quality.
I have one (1) for sale if anyone might be interested

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I always thought the programming thing was a real pain too, but according to that ebay listing it comes with the cable and software to program. Maybe someone has finally reverse engineered it and found an easy way to program.
Read the ad carefully. It includes a USB cable ($10) and the driver for that cable (free). No programming software :eek: Someone not familiar with programming radios could be deceived and get a radio that they still end up paying someone to program for them. Finding the software can be a real pain. The subscription is close to $300 at my cost. I have had it several times over the years. I now have a good collection of software, but still don't have it all. Motorola changes the software with every model change and sometime even half way through a serial numbered production. I have at least six different code plugs for the HT1250 we use. It wouldn't be so bad, but you can not import or copy from one to the other. Each code plug written separately. HUGE time consumer! One reason they charge so much to program them :(

I have quite a few FRS radios. Those used to be my "go-to" for adventures. The vehicle to vehicle coms are worth their weight in gold. Kids out hiking and keeping track of them also a good thing.
Radioshack put out a mobile FRS radio for a while. I have a couple of those. They were able to get around the FCC requirement of an attached antenna by mounting the radio in the mag mount and having it remotely controlled by the microphone. They were pretty quickly discontinued. I suspect it did not meet the spirit of the regulations ;)
Of all the portables I found the Motorola Talkabout radios to be the best. The little Cobras and Uniden do the job, but as mentioned before audio is not the best. They are small and have a small speaker. Also watch out for "waterproof" , that too can mean weak or poor audio if the speaker is covered by a membrane , or made of materials that do not reproduce sound very well. Not all are this way. many of those with a light weight tyvek like membrane have good audio. Some of the poly speakers are good too. Another try before you buy situation.
Why am I not still using them? I do around the house and for a few other tasks. My son now has his license so we use VHF radios. My truck has a crossband repeater and we carry dual band radios when we hike the canyons.

FRS , Family Radio Service was tailored to small communities without phone service. Cheap easy way to communicate short distances with little interference to others. It works well in short range. Cheap to use and maintain. I think it still has its place. If you need to reach farther it is time to look into amateur radio and it is easy to get your ticket now :)

lysol

Explorer
Baofeng + CHIRP + FRS/GMRS Freqs = 5 Watts of Awesome

Just make sure you actually limit the FRS channels to .5 Watts to stay legal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears