Holy Grail Truck

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We plan on being down in Ventura again in early to mid may. Going to have to warm up after all this snow! Cool to hear you have a new one on order. Keeping the 2nd gen too I hope?

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
That will be some piece of mind having the NV4500 rebuilt and a fresh Southbend. I am pushing 230K miles on mine with the original NV4500. I have thought about doing a preventative rebuild, but also met a guy hunting with 500K on a 94 4wd that was original trans and engine? How much were the parts? Truck looks great!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks Blake. The parts were $475 including the fully splined main shaft, which is highly recommended to prevent 5th gear nut issues. If you just do bearings, synchros and seals its around $225-250. I also had to replace my reverse gear which was $135. I could have rebuilt it myself, but at $425 to have a shop that does them every day do it, and supply a years warranty was worth it.

I'm sure it would have gone a while longer, but I'm pulling my Airstream down to Ventura Ca in may, and didn't want to pay someone fix it on the road if it went on me.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
redthies,
I've been away for a while and it seems lots has been popping with your truck change. How is the stock suspension on the 3500 doing with that big camper on? Does it need any suspension help? I'll just call your rig: Black and White.
I have the '01.5 w/NV5600 which btw, was only installed on H.O. engines. A Mopar engineer told me the auto trans of the era would not hold up to the increased H.P. and TQ of the H.O. Only the NV5600 (360 pounds, dry, 26,000 pound rated) would be offered as a lash-up to the H.O.
Mine WAS a 2500 with the camper package, so came with a single, thick upper secondary spring (sometimes called a upper overload) in a SRW format. That very config was the defacto forerunner to the SRW 3500. Some of the 3500 dualies of that year (and around '98-'02) came with two secondary springs on each side. A friend of mine wanted his secondaries gone from his 3500 and gave me the springs. Each of these set-ups gives a 500 pound boost to the rear axle. I dicked around trying to find the right balance in the upper secondaries and found that all six leaf springs did nicely. I still had some squat, so I added Stable Loads and that made all he difference when hauling my Lance Camper. Here are some pix of the current rear suspension format, gotten there by degrees. I just kept at it until it was right. Here's an overall with the lift block, the real overload on the bottom, a shim, three main springs, a block to separate the secondaries, a thick and two thinner secondaries (from the duallie) and four 16" long, flat top U bolts. That black/gray cube above the end is a Stable Load. These simply allow the secondaries to engage sooner as you add load.

a better pic of the Stable Load block clearance without a load. Maybe 1/'2" clearance.

end tabs on the overload springs. In a big bump or heavy load these are the last resort. You can see by the imprint they don't get there very often. I have the camper on most of the time unless I'm wood gathering.

I have a little too much rear squat since i put 3" front coil spacers on.

BTW, all that orange uglyness on all the underparts was from one trip on the Mojave Road with all that soda and salt. I pressure sprayed the underparts when we got back to no avail. We are doing the Mojave Road again in 3 weeks time. You'd think I'd learned my lesson.
Which brings me to the latest add-on, which is a 5-leaf mini-pack of springs that can replace the thick lower overload spring and give a little rear end lift. Once they are on i will give you a report on how they did.
@146K miles (two weeks ago) i had to replace my front 4-links and upgraded the links for a 6" lifted truck. The object was also to move the axle forward (with the longer links but without the lift). For every inch of lift you get 1/4" of axle to-the-rear. So the 6" lift arms are 1-1/2" longer than the stock arms. The stock link's bushings were shot. Also I upgraded the track bar to an aftermarket 3" lift bracket and Gen4 trac bar since the stock track bar was toast. Plenty of clearance for tires now.
Next project will be a front Dana 60, 35 spline spindle conversion kit with interior locking hubs by Spyntech. Besides ditching that monstously bad unit bearing/hub assy, (yes you probably have it too) it moves the bearings farther apart for longevity, and uncouples the outer stub axles from the drivetrain. The reason I got Spyntech is they do not stick way out begging to be picked off by approaching rocks. And the last part of the traction upgrade is going to be a full cable operated locker for the Dana 60 called an OX Locker.
regards, as always, jefe

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Hi Jefe, I run Firestone ride rites for the camper. If I didn't have the bags, I would not be too happy. I have moved the camper a couple of blocks once with no air in them, but I wouldn't want to go to far without around 80 psi in them. I'm going to be under the truck tonight finishing up the trans install, so I'll check my spring pack too.

I am glad to hear about the soda on Mojave Rd, I was going to do that trip in our Rubicon but may give it a second thought now.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So who is the tranny shop? Hard to come by a good one!

I got Gerry and George at Bert's Automotive on King George in Surrey to do it. Just finished the re-install, and it is smooth as velvet!

The only glitch was finding that the tranny mounts were both stripped, and one had a crack that had been heli-coiled. That happened just as the beverages were running low last night, so the call was made to finish tonight. I drilled and tapped the one mount, and the other I through bolted. It's going nowhere. I also installed the brand new front driveshaft I've had in the shed for 11 months, oil and all fluids changed and fresh BHAF.

The test drive home was a bit boring as with the fresh snow I was going sideways with even medium throttle. It's supposed to be well above freezing by tuesday, so I hope to get it up to speed then.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sweet Rig! I love my 12 valve. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

If I ever decide I don't need a dually, I'll convert this to single rear. I don't see myself plunking down $50,000 for what is likely to be a more problematic new truck.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Red,
When you are ready, this might be an option:

These are 33x15.5016R Mickey Thompson super singles (3750 pound rated) on 16x12" wide aluminum rims (3700 pound load rating) with a 4.5" back spacing. In a lot of ways these are the best of both worlds. They have a deep AT tread pattern which bites really well on snow, even with the reduced ground pressure of a wide tire. Duals are the worst when it comes to ice and snow. Especially ice, they are a deal breaker. I deflate them down to 20 when on sand dunes.
Here is a comparo with a 33" BFG AT Baja and the MT, unmounted size:

just some ideas.
regards, as always, jefe

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I find the super-single thing interesting, but I will stick to my Toyo MTs if I go back to srw. The 315/75-16s I ran on my F350 were rated at 3950 lbs, and are by far the best all around tire I've ever run.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, I tore the motor down some the other night to deal with some issues. Mainly a visual on the kdp, which had NOT been tabbed despite what I was told when I bought the truck, and chasing oil leaks. I still am in contact with the po, and last time we talked he said he couldn't remember if the kdp had in fact been tabbed. With a drive to Ventura county next week I figured I'd best check. Glad I did, although it was still in its hole all the way. I also took a look at the rear most rocker cover again, and found a very faint round outline in the top of it... Contact with the head stud was keeping it from sealing. I got out the die grinder and took a bit more material off, and that seems to have slowed down my "active rustproofing" a quite a bit. Not calling it 100% leak free yet, but it looks good so far.

I'll post up some pics from our trip south in a couple of weeks. There won't be much dirt involved as I am pulling our latest Airstream/Argosy project down to Pismo for the vintage trailer show. I would love to be able to bring the Jeep too, but that isn't going to happen this time round.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger