Homebuilt Roof Rack

stomperxj

Explorer
Hey guys-

I'm new here and have been reading all the great threads for a while now. I thought I'd share my roof rack I built for my 98 XJ. I built the original version for an old Grand Wagoneer I used to own about 4 years ago:

rack-original.jpg

It was too tall, too ugly and I just didn't like it after I got done building it, so it went in the scrap pile. Fast forward to about 2 months ago. I wanted a rack for my XJ and remembered I had that old ugly rusty POS in the scrap pile... I chopped the top, laid the front back and built some gutter mounts:

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

I'm planning on converting my XJ into an expedition vehicle in the coming months. I just sold my dirt bike so I have a stash of cash to work with... I'll probably start a thread in the Jeep section when I start...

Thanks for looking...

Jess

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Look'n good so far, post a pic when you put it on too. I love seeing home fab stuff.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Great looking rack!
Got an extra one laying around for me?
:sombrero:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Nice rack

Well done and nice welds. What size material did you use and how did you bend it? What was the final weight?
Came out real nice, there are anohter few threads on the board about roof baskets/racks if you are interested.

Cheers :beer:,
P

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks for the good feedback guys... I test mounted it today to see if everything was ok. Looks good I think but I'm biased :)

rack7.jpg

rack4.jpg

rack5.jpg

rack6.jpg

Its build out of 3/4" schedule 40 pipe so its about 65lbs give or take. Its heavier than I wanted but pipe is cheap. I used a Harbor Freight pipe crusher for the bends. I'm going to finish the floor with some 16 ga expanded metal. Anyone have any ideas for some cheap rectangular lights? i'm thinking about mounting 4 across the front somewhat recessed to the inside of the rack...

Thanks again!
Jess

hoser

Explorer
Just curious, if you use expanded metal for the floor, how will you tie down gear? Or will you make provisions in the expanded metal?

stomperxj

Explorer
hoser said:
Just curious, if you use expanded metal for the floor, how will you tie down gear? Or will you make provisions in the expanded metal?
All the uprights have a 1/8" "round stock" welded at a 45* angle at the bottoms for bungees or a cargo net or whatever I need...

tiedown.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Looking good. Expanded metal is awesome but weighs a ton... It will literally double your weight. I think aluminum flooring strips about 4" wide with about an inch between each should do the trick, or a big sheet of aluminum similar to the other thread.. Cheers..!

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Again nice job!

Hi jack - Hey mods, is there any chance of creating a home fab section on the board? I've only been on for a few months, but i've think I've seen enough posts to support one.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
BigAl said:
Again nice job!

Hi jack - Hey mods, is there any chance of creating a home fab section on the board? I've only been on for a few months, but i've think I've seen enough posts to support one.

Continuing the hi-jack, I thot I'd post this forum for those unaware of it.

stomperxj

Explorer
So the way the front uprights were laid out, I couldn't fit 4 lights across the front. I added 4 light tabs and cut the front uprights out of the rack and re-spaced/replaced them with 1/8" x 1" flat bar:

rack11.jpg

rack12.jpg

rack9.jpg

Last item is some 16ga expanded metal floor and then hopefully its powder coating time...

vengeful

Explorer
Looking good man.

Have you done any load testing on it yet? When I built my rack, I tested it with cinder blocks (off the truck), and it supported over 1200lbs without deflecting. I know for a fact that there is no way that my Thule load bars, or my roof can support that kind of weight, but it's good to have the peace of mind that when my fat behind is up there sleeping in an R.T.T. that it won't cave in underneath me. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998