Hourless Life: Documenting Our Global Overland Adventure

Hourless Life

We drove to EQUATOR! And guess what? The equator isn't where you think it is...

We have a lot of fun in this video as we give you a first person point of view as we continue our global overlanding journey in our Jeep Gladiator.

Here for the questions!

#hourlesslife #overlanding #ecuador #southamerica #equator

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks for posting! Looking forward to the next video, its an amazing place.

They had to put the tourista spot where they could build it haha

Just out of curiosity what watch are you using? I have a Suunto Baro 9, That i have used for the last 5 years or so. I’ve really liked it, but have noticed slight variances across multiple platforms.

Hourless Life

Thanks for posting! Looking forward to the next video, its an amazing place.

They had to put the tourista spot where they could build it haha

Just out of curiosity what watch are you using? I have a Suunto Baro 9, That i have used for the last 5 years or so. I’ve really liked it, but have noticed slight variances across multiple platforms.
So I've learned from a commercial pilot buddy of mine who is one of our Patreon members that the equator line actually shifts! Pretty cool stuff. So perhaps at one point the monument was actually on the actual equator. But it wasn't when I was there. I confirmed it with Google, Apple, and Garmin that I was standing at the actual equator where you see it in the video!

As far as my watch, I use at Garmin Fenix 7 Pro Solar Sapphire. (It is super pricey for a watch, but I don't have many "toys" compared to my house having friends.) So for something like this I get to splurge a little. Been really happy with it so far. ~ E

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
So I've learned from a commercial pilot buddy of mine who is one of our Patreon members that the equator line actually shifts! Pretty cool stuff. So perhaps at one point the monument was actually on the actual equator. But it wasn't when I was there. I confirmed it with Google, Apple, and Garmin that I was standing at the actual equator where you see it in the video!

As far as my watch, I use at Garmin Fenix 7 Pro Solar Sapphire. (It is super pricey for a watch, but I don't have many "toys" compared to my house having friends.) So for something like this I get to splurge a little. Been really happy with it so far. ~ E
Thank you for the detailed answer, I don’t want to derail your thread too much.
I splurged on my Suunto for sure, even with the pro deals. When it first came out in 2018. Waiting for the mail to get to the ship was torture. Although, I can say I have used it multiple times to call in a Helo, or support with Lat,Long, Altitude and barometric pressure. Keeping up with things in the remote settings.

I thought the “smart watch” was dumb, until I started using mine. They are really handy little tools. Do you find the solar does ok keeping battery life up?

Hourless Life

Thank you for the detailed answer, I don’t want to derail your thread too much.
I splurged on my Suunto for sure, even with the pro deals. When it first came out in 2018. Waiting for the mail to get to the ship was torture. Although, I can say I have used it multiple times to call in a Helo, or support with Lat,Long, Altitude and barometric pressure. Keeping up with things in the remote settings.

I thought the “smart watch” was dumb, until I started using mine. They are really handy little tools. Do you find the solar does ok keeping battery life up?
No worries at all about derailing the thread. I genuinely want to be a resource for people and get to know my fellow overlanders. I appreciate your comments and conversation.

So yes, I've been super impressed with the battery duration on the Garmin Fenix 7 Solar Sapphire. I'm getting roughly 16-20 days on a single charge depending on how much I'm out in the sun, and I use the heck out of this thing! ~ E

Hourless Life

So we're over here driving around the world and we make it to Ecuador. So we decided to go to the Galapagos Islands, because, well, the Galapagos!
And of course my wife gets jumped by a sea lion! I seriously can't make this stuff up.

This place was incredible. Arguably my favorite place we've been so far on our global overlanding journey. Hope you enjoy, let me know if you have any questions. ~ Eric

MR E30

No worries at all about derailing the thread. I genuinely want to be a resource for people and get to know my fellow overlanders. I appreciate your comments and conversation.

So yes, I've been super impressed with the battery duration on the Garmin Fenix 7 Solar Sapphire. I'm getting roughly 16-20 days on a single charge depending on how much I'm out in the sun, and I use the heck out of this thing! ~ E

I have the exact same watch, and it is simply stellar. I do a lot of hiking and biking GPS tracking, so my actual battery life is usually on the order of ~7 days, but it charges from the USB cable in such a short amount of time. It is a fantastic piece of kit.

Awkragt

Adventurer
I have the exact same watch, and it is simply stellar. I do a lot of hiking and biking GPS tracking, so my actual battery life is usually on the order of ~7 days, but it charges from the USB cable in such a short amount of time. It is a fantastic piece of kit.
I've got the Garmin Instinct Solar and also really impressed with battery life. The new version 2 should basically never need to be charged unless you're recording a lot of gps activities. I love how simple the Instincts are it is so I try not to get tempted by the Fenix Series but maybe Christmas 2024 when we're back home.

Hourless Life

We drove to see the highest point on the entire planet. Spoiler alert…it isn’t Mount Everest.

We also take you to the charming town of Baños for the world famous thermal pools that are there.

And our electrical system on our Jeep Gladiator has a major failure. All part of the journey as we continue our overlanding drive around the world.

#hourlesslife #overlanding #ecuador

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thank you for posting, it’s a lot of work to cross post and edit videos.

I am glad RedArc is taking care of you. I have also had trouble with DHL, but; its still nice to have options.

One of the issues I have with the Manager 30, and that system. Is that its fully integrated, so no redundancy. Versus a separate DC/DC, solar, and shore. ( Like Victron) My professional life has really instilled that into me. As well as regardless of the system. Knowing it, and having good customer service. However, every system has its thing. Glad you’re enjoying the drive.

DTAdventure

I am glad RedArc is taking care of you. I have also had trouble with DHL, but; its still nice to have options.

One of the issues I have with the Manager 30, and that system. Is that its fully integrated, so no redundancy. Versus a separate DC/DC, solar, and shore. ( Like Victron) My professional life has really instilled that into me. As well as regardless of the system. Knowing it, and having good customer service. However, every system has its thing. Glad you’re enjoying the drive.
I work in IT and I prefer separate systems as well compared to all in one type solutions. It also makes it easier to troubleshoot when something breaks. But I agree with your comment - sounds like RedArc is doing the right thing.
Great video, as always :)

Hourless Life

Being that when the Good Lord was passing out electrical, mechanical, and handyman skills I skipped the line, I'm thankful to have such amazing sponsors for this journey. But I can't disagree with you. I think the simpler the better in most cases. That's a good word Yetti. For me it is a huge learning curve, but that is definitely part of this journey! ~ Eric

Hourless Life

I work in IT and I prefer separate systems as well compared to all in one type solutions. It also makes it easier to troubleshoot when something breaks. But I agree with your comment - sounds like RedArc is doing the right thing.
Great video, as always :)
Really appreciate that DTA. REDARC has been really good to us in this process. They actually sent us 4 shunts to two different cities to make sure we were taken care of. So I have no complaints there. The logistics of getting them through customs can be a challenge in and of itself. The rules we are used to in the states don't apply down there and you are essentially at the mercy of the officials. Having said that, we did end up finally getting the part, and you'll see what happens in our next video which I'm about to put up. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

People often tell us, "You are living my dream! I can't believe you get to overland around the world full-time!" I think people often think that we are on some sort of permanent vacation, and this couldn't be further from the truth. This is just life lived a different way than most. And overall it is an incredible journey.

But this type of journey is not without its challenges. Sometimes the challenges presented are compounded greatly by the distance from "home."

This video is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. This BY FAR is the hardest video I've ever had to edit or publish. The emotions are real and raw in this one. I hope you get a chance to watch this one and reflect on what it means to deal with this kind of stuff from a continent away.

I'm here for the questions. ~ Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior