How capable IS a Tacoma?

XJxplorer

Adventurer
I am debating on replacing my XJ with a Tacoma.. But, I am a little worried on how capable the Tacoma really is. IF I do get a Tacoma, it will be a 05+ 4x4 single cab.. I would slap on 3" lift and some 265/75/16's.

The Cherokee I used was this.

It had a 3.5" lift with 31's..

In your guy's opinions, do you think the Tacoma will have as much ground clearance and be as capable as the XJ?

Thanks in advance!!

Mike.

Last edited:

Super Doody

Explorer
what do you consider capable? What trails are you looking to do? Do you mean 265/75/16? I'm thinking single cab 05+ are pretty rare. Might as well just got a 01 to 04 extended cab.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Tacoma will perform better than the XJ on climbs and at high speed. The XJ will do better in the tight stuff. Both are pretty reliable, but I believe the Tacoma has an edge there.

It is really just splitting hairs. An XJ and Tacoma are two of the more capable platforms available.

So, if you could use the utility of a truck, then it is easy, otherwise just keep that cool XJ.

XJxplorer

Adventurer
Yes I meant 265/75/16's.... Well, mostly what I do is travel the backcountry... I don't do anything extreme, but I do like to test the limits sometimes.. I explore a lot of old mining roads, as well...

I have seen quite a few of the single cabs online, and my fiances work has 3 of them on the lot right now. I can get a single cab for about 5-7K less than an access cab and the 4cyl gas mileage sounds nice..

XJxplorer

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
The Tacoma will perform better than the XJ on climbs and at high speed. The XJ will do better in the tight stuff. Both are pretty reliable, but I believe the Tacoma has an edge there.

It is really just splitting hairs. An XJ and Tacoma are two of the more capable platforms available.

So, if you could use the utility of a truck, then it is easy, otherwise just keep that cool XJ.

I have already sold that XJ and drive another stock 4 door xj..

Yeah, it's actually a pretty tough decision.

Brett M

Adventurer
I went from a 2 door XJ to a '00 Tacoma TRD and the difference was slight. The XJ had a 4.5" lift, rear Detroit and 4.56's. I took my Taco everywhere that the XJ went in Moab, with no problem other than now and then hitting the frame. Best part it was more comfortable, faster, and better mileage.

I have another XJ now and the only reason is that the Taco killed my budget (in between jobs.) I'd buy another TRD Tacoma anyday......though it'd be a 01-04 double cab this time, TRD of course ;)

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
The shorter wheelbase of the single cab is really nice on the trails. I don't believe you can get a single cab with the factory e-locker though, which will slow it down some on technical stuff. The front suspension doesn't flex much, so a locked rear is pretty important to push the truck through tougher terrain.

You slap a couple of ARB's in that thing and it'll go anywhere....

A biased opinion says: Don't do it! Even a single cab 4x4 Tacoma with a 4 cylinder is gonna be around $20k, I believe. Unless you have an ungodly amount of miles on the XJ and it's causing reliability issues, or you need (I hate using that word in situations like these) a pickup, I would just invest a little more in the Jeep for things that the Toyota has that the XJ doesn't. You've already put so much into it, I can tell, why spend a boatload for a blank canvas?

Reminder, biased opinion.

XJxplorer

Adventurer
Purple People Eater said:
A biased opinion says: Don't do it! Even a single cab 4x4 Tacoma with a 4 cylinder is gonna be around $20k, I believe. Unless you have an ungodly amount of miles on the XJ and it's causing reliability issues, or you need (I hate using that word in situations like these) a pickup, I would just invest a little more in the Jeep for things that the Toyota has that the XJ doesn't. You've already put so much into it, I can tell, why spend a boatload for a blank canvas?

Reminder, biased opinion.

I don't have the green XJ anymore... I am know driving a stock 01 4dr...

The price isn't too bad, my fiances works at a toyota dealership so I get a pretty good deal... I won't buy the Tacoma new, I can get a trade in for what the dealership paid. So, its either dumping a bunch of money into the XJ, that has 120k miles on it and gets less mileage, or I buy a single cab and do a few things to it with at least half the miles than the XJ.. I would probably put 2k down and dump 3k into it...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
XJxplorer said:
Yes I meant 265/75/16's.... Well, mostly what I do is travel the backcountry... I don't do anything extreme, but I do like to test the limits sometimes.. I explore a lot of old mining roads, as well...

Okay, it may be heresy here to ask but why are you going to lift it if that's all you do? I do trails up to 4/5 (on the traildamage.com 1-10 scale) in my 04 Tacoma and it's bone stock, except for the tires.

Should I also mention that my Taco has open diffs front and rear? ;)

For the price of a lift kit you can put a lot of gas into that 4 cyl motor, or you can put the money into other mods that you will get more use out of. Storage? RTT? Shell?

If your lift kit is to fit much larger tires, you might want to reconsider, especially if you get the 4 cyl.

I may be in the minority here but I am a firm believer in the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D Although I've toyed with the idea of lifting my Taco, I honestly haven't been in a situation yet where a lift would have been beneficial, and I've been in quite a few where the lift would be detrimental (as in, higher CG which means a greater likelihood of a rollover.)

I might someday get a more responsive suspension, but if it only gets me a 1" or even a 0" lift I'd be fine with that.

I have to ask - have you ever owned a single-cab pickup before? Because you will find out very quickly just how inconvenient it can be to have ZERO storage ability in the cab. Especially if you have the manual transmission (which takes up floor space) and are carrying a passenger. If you go this way I would seriously recommend either a shell/topper or a toolbox in the bed to carry your stuff.

I got my first extended cab truck in 1999 and after that I decided that no matter what the penalty I would never go back to a regular cab. That extended cab is just too convenient!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr said:
Okay, it may be heresy here to ask but why are you going to lift it if that's all you do? I do trails up to 4/5 (on the traildamage.com 1-10 scale) in my 04 Tacoma and it's bone stock, except for the tires.

Should I also mention that my Taco has open diffs front and rear? ;)

For the price of a lift kit you can put a lot of gas into that 4 cyl motor, or you can put the money into other mods that you will get more use out of. Storage? RTT? Shell?

If your lift kit is to fit much larger tires, you might want to reconsider, especially if you get the 4 cyl.

I may be in the minority here but I am a firm believer in the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D Although I've toyed with the idea of lifting my Taco, I honestly haven't been in a situation yet where a lift would have been beneficial, and I've been in quite a few where the lift would be detrimental (as in, higher CG which means a greater likelihood of a rollover.)

I might someday get a more responsive suspension, but if it only gets me a 1" or even a 0" lift I'd be fine with that.

I have to ask - have you ever owned a single-cab pickup before? Because you will find out very quickly just how inconvenient it can be to have ZERO storage ability in the cab. Especially if you have the manual transmission (which takes up floor space) and are carrying a passenger. If you go this way I would seriously recommend either a shell/topper or a toolbox in the bed to carry your stuff.

I got my first extended cab truck in 1999 and after that I decided that no matter what the penalty I would never go back to a regular cab. That extended cab is just too convenient!

I agree with Matinjmpr. There is a reason the singe cab 4cyl are inexpensive. For a week, while driving your Jeep, look around the cab to see what stuff you bring with you on a daily basis. Also, if you camp when wheelin'. If you have a book bag you need to bring with you, then suddenly the single cab is all clutterred up. God forbid you need to bring a passenger and his stuff too. Not to mention its just a really small confined space to drive around in.

My boatin friends have been dissappointed in the performance and mpg of their 4cyl Toyota's, especially after they put more aggressive tires on them. Every single one of them wishes they would have gotton the 6.

Back in '96, I had a '95 Tacoma 4x4 6cyl Extended cab 5spd stick, the first year of the "middle generation". It was a great little truck. They do 90 mph on the freeway when you need to get across the country, and they're very capable off road.

Spenser

Adventurer
To chime in here as a large man (6'3, 300 lbs) with a regular cab tacoma-it is small, and there is no storage with a passenger. I use it as my daily driver, alone, so stow things on the floor or seat but really cant use the truck with stuff inside and passenger. It does get good gas mileage, is able to haul stuff and excellent truck but the regular cab is limiting. For instance, if you want to hide fly rods or cameras or bags, they have to fit behind the seat, mandolin gets strapped in like a passenger and has to go everywhere.

PS-My wife refuses to go anywhere further than an hour away in the truck because it is small to her after a period of time and it isnt as comfortable as the Commander or her car, and she is only 5'4"

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Another vote to get an ext. or double cab. My friend has a single cab and it does suck when going hunting/fishing, because there is absolutely no room to store it in the truck. We can put it in the bed, but if we stop somewhere to eat or shop, we have to put everything in the cab. Very inconvenient.

As far as the XJ vs. Tacoma, I say if you can afford to get the new/used truck, do it. I love Jeeps (had a 98 5.9L ZJ). But Toyota has an edge in reliability and everything just felt more solid and built better. You will love the 05+ Ext. Cab V6. :jumping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online