How capable IS a Tacoma?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Like blatant mentioned, it can take some looking to find the right truck, but they are out there.

When I got my truck, it was surprising more difficult to find what I wanted than I would have throught. I wanted a third gen XtraCab 4WD and a 22R-E. I personally wanted a third gen because the XtraCab is truly bigger. The 84-88 XtraCab is really just enough that you can recline your seat a little, it's not a ton more space. But even by 1989+ Toyota was starting to offer more comfortable trucks and just about every truck I looked at had the V6. I got mine in 2000 and by then the 3VZ head gasket recall was totally known, so I was scared away from the V6 for reliability reasons. Plus the aftermarket for the 22R is HUGE. But finding a truck like mine took some looking and I had to buy one without A/C to get it.

So I guess it's all relative.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
But finding a truck like mine took some looking and I had to buy one without A/C to get it.

Denver:
Partly Cloudy High
92°F

OUCH!! I'd be driving around butt nude if I didn't have A/C. I don't know how you do it.

DaveInDenver

Cackalak Han said:
Denver:
Partly Cloudy High
92°F

OUCH!! I'd be driving around butt nude if I didn't have A/C. I don't know how you do it.
I'm pretty rarely out when it's that hot (it's nice out at 6AM on the drive into work at least). But, I did fit A/C later, a couple of years ago. Honestly, didn't know what I was missing with A/C until I got it... But mostly I try and ride my bike into work during the summer and I can deal with the heat by running under grass sprinklers and stuff. :)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here is my $.02, I hope you don't mind the novel...

My major 80's era mechanic's experience on Toyota vehicles are a head project into a FJ62 with EFI and a '85 EFI 4 Runner SFA timing chaing replacement. (and then lots and lots of small jobs). I have probably owned 3 or 4 60 Series Land Cruisers of different variations (including some factory diesels), plenty of 40s and FJ55s, and I have disected a FZJ80 to every nut and bolt (a FZJ80 chassis sits under my FJ55), and I currently own a '80 3VZ-E V6 powered Toyota pickup that I bought cheap as a mechanical basket case that is now a very reliable and somewhat wheelable truck... Needless to say I have put a little thought into the compexities and necessities of these different mechanical options, and what it means today as most of these late 80's to early 90's implementations are standards today. I noticed a clear trend in about the mid 80's, with that 85 EFI and the FJ-62 (with strong indicators pointing to what was coming from the emissions systems of FJ60s) about what was in store for cars in general, and Toyota vehicles.

Basically, while we are doing plenty of mechanical jobs ourselves, the systems of these vehicles were long ago changed from the home mechanic to professional mechanics only, and even then, with a strong leaning toward "the dealership." This trend pretty much came into strong effect I believe right about 20 years ago. And about 15-20 to even 10 years ago, heavily engrained. For example a home mechanic diagnosing problems with a Prius?

Anyway, my conclusion is that there is a strong leaning towards "stock" on this board that certainly makes sense, but is a little uninformed. To answer the OP's questions, from the different Toyotas I've owned, while Tacomas are great trucks, particularly extend cabs are great trucks, get over a lot, but are a little limited in their "capability." They have to be built fairly stupid big in my opinion to get similar capability from say a Land Cruiser or dare I say even a Jeep. This is because the wheelbase is, in fact, pickup truck-like. Long, particularly long rear overhang. I think a lot of it varies according to what our needs are. Dirt roads and unimproved roads? Perfectly fine in a Taco. But hard wheeling, class 4 and 5 rated, double locker stuff? Drag bang push and grind, scrape and possible breakage. Versus the ease of a nice smartly build truck like a Land Cruiser, or (dare I say again) perhaps a regular cab with a 4" lift and 33s.

And finally, you can heavily modify some trucks, including tacomas, and have them highly reliable. I think there is a phobia of this a little when a smartly modified vehicle can be just as reliable. But I am noticing a lot of electrical modifications, winch and bumper, when I do believe that for Americans, who are not "expeditioning" as much, that a larger lift like a 4" and 33's would got a lot farther, as far as the capability of the truck. I am one to be "conservative" with suspension mods myself. Expecially because the cost of this stuff is so high. But these changes make the biggest difference as far as capability.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Also I wanted to say it's been a long time since I owned a regular cab truck... I have three trips to southern Utah in the last two months alone in it, a couple of trips with two people and our stuff. I have to say its actually refreshing to account for everything and have a slightly minimalist approach, sort of like a sailboat. Everything has its place. It creates a lack of clutter, garbage is disposed of quickly, no junk in the car. I am also 6'5 so "I barely fit" but man I love this truck and have few complaints. Right now I am in a place where I prefer the regular cab. I also have a '93 regular cab that is flawless/rust free, just needs some minor mechanical work, and is much lower mileage than my own truck. It never even crossed my mind to transition to the extra cab versus what I own... For what its worth...

DaveInDenver

dieselcruiserhead said:
It never even crossed my mind to transition to the extra cab versus what I own... For what its worth...
So, haven't tried taking along a spouse/girlfriend + dog + 2 weeks of stuff in there yet? A cooler, a couple of Action Packers, couple of jerricans of water and a stove, the bed is sorta cramped for a malamute/shepherd mix (not to mention hot in the summer, the fluff ball that he is). So he rides up front. With just a dog OR wife, regular cab was always fine, but just not both in my experience.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I do agree with you there. No dog luckily :) (I'm sure that will change some day) . I have been in a couple of the late Tacomas, I kept wondering why they didn't offer the standards in the quad cabs for some reason. I drove a friend's TRD 6 speed the other day, amazing the difference between then and even the 1994 technology. Primarily weight but they are really nicely refined I must say... My regular cab weighs so little...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior