How capable IS a Tacoma?

nickw

Adventurer
The way I see it

I dont get the feeling people are generally saying the 1st gen is 'better' but rather that the 2nd gen is not a upgrade over the previous and not (at this time) worth additional cost associated. I think alot of people, push come to shove, would rather have a 2nd gen Taco than any other new pickup currently being offered.

I hear you on the 40 vs. 60 vs. 80, but I think each one of those rigs did represent evolution of 4x4 to the highest degree possible. The 60 offered wider, stronger axles and better TC. The 80 took that a step further with full lockers, full floater rear axle and a outstanding coil setup.

I dont howerver feel like the 2nd gen Taco does anything better, besides having more room, than the 1st. Again, when my 01 wears out, I wouldn't buy anything besides another Toyota.

But something to think about, all the guys with the 86-94 rigs with the older IFS design thought that the 1st gen Tacos were worthless. I am sure 10 years down the road the 2nd gen will hold the nastalga of 'back when the rigs were built tough', it is all relative to what you currently have in the market.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's not just the increased size, it's also the increased complexity. Can you even get a Taco with manual crank windows anymore? Do they even make them? Electric windows, electric T-case, electric locks - all of these things are additional complexities that can break or leave you in a bad situation.

And yes, I know, mechanical devices can break, too. But it's also a fact that they break less frequently than the electrical ones, where all it takes is a loose wire or a bit of worn insulation to leave you dead in your tracks.

Don't believe me? Just do a quick search of any Toyota forum and tell me how many people report problems with their T-case not engaging. Then tell me what percentage of those people have mechanical T-cases. Certainly the vacuum can go out on the ADD (which is why, all things considered, I'd prefer to just have manual hubs) but when you look at all the people who report problems with their electrical T-case, it's not a minor concern.

And this is Toyota - go over to the Ford Ranger boards and see how much they like their electric T-cases.

The gripe I have with the supersizing of "small" trucks is that there has never been a time when you couldn't get a bigger truck if you really wanted one by just going to a full size. But those of us who prefer smaller trucks (because they're smaller; Lighter; easier to drive; consume less gas; have an overall smaller "footprint") have nowhere to go when everybody supersizes.

Martinjmpr said:
consume less gas

Except for the fact that there is not much of a difference in gas milage between the different generations of Tacoma.

Beside, I enjoy my electric locks and windows:) Leave them alone.

I can get a bit spacy when it comes to car keys. With my bare bones 88 Nissan Hardbody, my bare bones 95 Nissan Hardbody, and my bare bones 02 Nissan Frontier I was locking my keys in those trucks almost 3 times a month:oops: .

Now I now longer have to worry about that.

I know the electric doodads tend to fail more often, but I do enjoy them for long trips.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Streakerfreak said:
Except for the fact that there is not much of a difference in gas milage between the different generations of Tacoma.

Beside, I enjoy my electric locks and windows:) Leave them alone.

I can get a bit spacy when it comes to car keys. With my bare bones 88 Nissan Hardbody, my bare bones 95 Nissan Hardbody, and my bare bones 02 Nissan Frontier I was locking my keys in those trucks almost 3 times a month:oops: .

Now I now longer have to worry about that.

I know the electric doodads tend to fail more often, but I do enjoy them for long trips.

I agree with this person, too. My electric windows, ADD, etc. all are working fine. Maybe this will become an issue when my truck hits 300k+? I don't know, and honestly don't care, as I don't think I would keep a vehicle past 250-300k, if that. But they are working solid still. I have NEVER had issues with the interior eletronic components in a Toyota yet. I'd much rather have the comfort of motorized windows, ADD, etc. Even if I have to fix them every once in a while.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
mcm4090 said:
I hope it didn't come out that way but if you feel that it did I appolize.

What, haha, I'm saying that because you obviously bought a Frontier. Not from what you said. :beer:

heeltoe989

Explorer
When I bought my Tacoma, I brought a Frontier to the Toyota dealer to compare. I had the trucks side by side, and when through them both for about an hour. In the end I chose the Tacoma, I always wanted one and I liked the look of it a bit more. what I'm trying to get at is it really boils down to what you like, and how practical and functional will it be for your life.

Last edited:

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
I had previously owned a 99 taco, 2.7 extracab, 5-spd. and for one feel the '05 is a VAST improvement. Not necessarily in fit and finish, or even gas mileage for that matter, its more so in what is offered. the power features are nice, but is the design of the bed with the power outlet, bed rail system, fold flat seats, multiple cup/bottle holders etc. I could go on and on, but in the end its a matter of what wets your whistle. The size difference while on paper may be larger by some standards, in the trails of NE i have zero issues keeping up with older gen 4runners, p/u etc. The V6, low range, and elocker have made me look like a hero next to some pretty built rigs. Add to that the convience of sitting in my truck while everyone else gets out to disengage their hubs and in my opinion, toyota got it right, well except for the V8 option that is available in the new 4Runner with almost the same frame.....

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Martinjmpr said:
It's not just the increased size, it's also the increased complexity. Can you even get a Taco with manual crank windows anymore? Do they even make them? Electric windows, electric T-case, electric locks - all of these things are additional complexities that can break or leave you in a bad situation.

And yes, I know, mechanical devices can break, too. But it's also a fact that they break less frequently than the electrical ones, where all it takes is a loose wire or a bit of worn insulation to leave you dead in your tracks.

Don't believe me? Just do a quick search of any Toyota forum and tell me how many people report problems with their T-case not engaging. Then tell me what percentage of those people have mechanical T-cases. Certainly the vacuum can go out on the ADD (which is why, all things considered, I'd prefer to just have manual hubs) but when you look at all the people who report problems with their electrical T-case, it's not a minor concern.

And this is Toyota - go over to the Ford Ranger boards and see how much they like their electric T-cases.

The gripe I have with the supersizing of "small" trucks is that there has never been a time when you couldn't get a bigger truck if you really wanted one by just going to a full size. But those of us who prefer smaller trucks (because they're smaller; Lighter; easier to drive; consume less gas; have an overall smaller "footprint") have nowhere to go when everybody supersizes.

Using this logic, we should all scrap or EFI engines, and see what it would take to perform a conversion back to a carburetor. Adoro la cerradura de vapor :cow:
Oh yea, and lets toss out our electric starters and bring back the hand crank ;)

Just messin with you Martin. The new FJC's have a manual transfer case shifter, so someone will figure out how to retrofit it into the Tacomas given that most of the other drivetrain parts are the same. But regardless, strictly mechanical parts will continue to become more and more obsolete - no way to stop that.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Just wait until Toyota replaces the rear axle with a nice IRS similar to the Highlander or Sequoia! Then what will us natives do???

heeltoe989

Explorer
Jacket said:
Just wait until Toyota replaces the rear axle with a nice IRS similar to the Highlander or Sequoia! Then what will us natives do???

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!!

I guess will do front and rear solid axle swaps :). the way Toyota should have made them.

lqhikers

Adventurer
I feel used

Reading all the input about tacos,early and late,what sticks out in my mind is the way the the companys control what we want. I remember when you could go to the dealer (usa type) set down pick the options you want order,dream for a few weeks and go pick up you "custom rig".Now you take what they give you to get what you want!(you want a locker well you have to order package a,b or what ever,so you end up with a lot of items you did not want,Shame on us for putting up with it.
Yes i am guilty to as i sold my bullet proof 2002 reg cab,5 speed,4 banger ,hand crank windows,great mileage,went every where,almost bone stock,bought a 2008 extended cab v/6 (not available with 4 banger)6sp trans,trd, etc,etc.
So now when we set up camp the keys are in the spot we keep them so we dont miss place then or forget to take them out of our pocket when we jump in the lake, river to cool off (because if you forget they can stop working if wet thats what the manual says) then when you take you map,book,etc and go set in the front seat you find that to crack or roll down the window you have to have the key to perform this simple task!
I guess you get the picture,maybe im just hot (today it is 116 on the patio)
And i will not even get into all the plastic crap on the taco now!(composite bed)Bumpers (it is sold as a truck)should do what A TRUCK DOES!
But i still drive slow and enjoy as "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

lqhikers said:
And i will not even get into all the plastic crap on the taco now!(composite bed)Bumpers (it is sold as a truck)should do what A TRUCK DOES!
But i still drive slow and enjoy as "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Show me a new truck in the US that doesn't have cheap plastic. IMO the Tacoma is still the best made and has the best materials.

What do I base my opinion on? I drive 5-10 different trucks a day and 10-15 different cars each day with each drive about 5-10 miles on a variety of roads. I have to test drive everything that comes into the shop. I am also around mechanics who have worked for all the major companies and I value there opinion on quality.

What did I drive today... 06 NISMO Frontier King Cab, 3 different model year Nissan Hard body's, a 99 Frontier (it was Nissan day for some reason) the obligatory low mileage Dodge Ram diesel 4x4(yeah we get a lot unfortunately, no I am not bashing), a fairly new F150, an early 90s Toyota Truck, a GMC, and a Rumble Bee. These line ups change all the time. Generally we do most of our work on the Big 3. Most of the Nissan's and Toyota's don't don't start coming for the big stuff until the 100,000-150,000 miles with exceptions of course. Again, please don't read this statement as bashing other brands. I'm just stating what happens at our shop.

Anyways, I love the composite bed. It works great for me and the bed doesn't rust! All three of my past trucks and their beds all rusted away back in CT.
What I don't understand are the people who buy the new Tacoma's knowing full well there is a composite bed, plastic bumpers, electric turn button 4wd, fly by wire manual, etc and then complain about it. Do people not look and test drive before they buy.

Last edited:

lqhikers

Adventurer
composite is still plastic!,cheap is still cheap!

Sorry but i have to disagree with you on" plastic" bed,i run a fwc pop up camper and to mount the camper i had to build a extra strong Metal bracket to make sure i could do the same trips and trails i did with early steel bed taco,rest assured that when i mean trails i mean Baja type running where there is no way the "plastic bed would do the job"Its my money so i will knock it if it does not perform to the standard that i set.
this being said there are many features that are great,but the bad one seems to me is for the profit for the company not for the needs of the buyers use!
My 2002 rear bumper was strong enough to support the back up brackets for my camper.the 2008 was not,i had to re design brackets to do the same job!
Also should you have to fight the dealer to have them replace weak springs on a TRUCK.?
P.S.we DON'T WORRY ABOUT RUST IN THE DESERT!
It is getting cooler now on patio down to 108!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan