How many have Stingers on the Front

Rupe

Adventurer
I was wondering how many of you have stingers on the front of your Jeeps and if you feel they are worth having on an expedition rig? As of right now my JK is stock and I'm just making a list (Wish list) of what I want to do to it. I'm probably getting the Rugged Ridge Modular XHD front Winch bumper. Being that you can get a protection loop on it or a Stinger, I thought the Stinger might be more useful out on the trails. But I wanted to get the more expereanced Expeditionests take on it. Thank you, rupe

BrandX

Adventurer
plan on rolling your jeep end over end? thats the main function of a stinger. save the money there are other things you probbly need first.

computeruser

Explorer
Don't know that I'd count as an experienced expedition person, but this is a free site and in life you generally get what you pay for, so here's my take:

On a competition rockcrawling rig, I could possibly see the point of the stinger (though admittedly not of the competition rockcrawling itself). But on a trail rig or expedition rig, I'm not sure what the point would be, and I suspect that it would serve to get in the way on tighter trails where trees are present or in urban traffic (domestic and especially in 3rd world countries). And it would unquestionably make winch and underhood access more difficult.

For a CJ/Wrangler, I've always felt that the standard bumper was a good choice for most uses. Additional front protection from brush or to mount lights would be an option, if your needs dictate such. If you could use something similarly simple and unobtrusive on the new Wrangler platform, I think you'd be where you need to be for a multi-purpose vehicle. Something like this seems about ideal on a CJ/YJ/TJ:
19331-Front-Bumper.jpg

On a JK, if you don't need full width coverage, something like this seems appropriately simple:

stage2JKfrontdesc.jpg

Last edited:

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Guess I can chime in here. I had the Rugged Ridge front bumper with stinger on my last JK (will post pictures at the bottom when I get home).

I got it for free, that’s why I had it but if I had to buy I probably would have just got a winch hoop with the bumper to give a little grille protection for our plastic grille. The stinger fit great, looked good, ect but I never used it and I am glad I didn’t. It did make parallel parking a little difficult because it looks like it sticks out far from the driver seat. Also I did tend to wack trees with it now and then but not hard. It did limit the ability to get under the hood (had to walk around it for everything instead of standing the middle) and it did limit winching angles. I never had to experience that but I could see where winching up and to the side could cause the cable/rope to rub the stinger.

But I can say it looked cool!

Rupe

Adventurer
Well other then looking cool, it sounds like it is more of a pain then anything else. Living up here in the NW we have lots of trees and I would rather not have to have one more thing to keep an eye on. You already have enough to watch for as it is. Thank you for the input and advise. I will strike it off the list.
Out of 12 4x4's I have yet to roll one or go end for end. Been close a bunch of times but managed to avoid it just in the nick of time, I might add. LOL
Thanks again. rupe

BigJerm, I know that name.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Rupe said:
BigJerm, I know that name.

Its me! Same name I had on Jk-forum before being Banned and I am on JKowners, JeepForum, Pirate, ect all under the same name.

Rupe

Adventurer
Bigjerm said:
Its me! Same name I had on Jk-forum before being Banned and I am on JKowners, JeepForum, Pirate, ect all under the same name.

Yep, I did the same thing after I got the axe over there. Been almost a year now I think???? later rupe

FshTaco99

Adventurer
I built a Rusty's front stinger knock-off years ago for my Cherokee... just for kicks. Didn't last very long. For a mall crawler it LOOKED neat but I really had no function for it besides running into things.

Rupe

Adventurer
That's 4 out of 4 that can give me a reason to buy one. Being that I'm already "cool",:cool: I don't need one. LOL Old gimped up fat guys are cool right?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Something like this seems about ideal on a CJ/YJ/TJ:
19331-Front-Bumper.jpg

I REALLY like that.

Betcha its cheaper than a ARB bull bar too. I have a winch plate that i don't want to just toss to get a ARB bumper. This looks like it would work with said plate.

I like the front hitch option, too.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bigjerm said:
Guess I can chime in here. I had the Rugged Ridge front bumper with stinger on my last JK (will post pictures at the bottom when I get home).
I have one of your old Jeep:

100_4306.jpg

I like the lines of the L.O.D. bumper better though...

Rupe

Adventurer
Everytime I think I have made a decision on what I want, someone always remind me that I might want toooo---, So now I have to rethink on what all I'm going to be doing with my JK. I'm not a hardcore rock crawler,but when I want to play in them I want to be able to. Most of my wheeling is exploring and getting into expedition type. They just make to many bumpers is all! I was going to make a stubby out of the stock one, but I want more strength then those give. I've been looking at the Smittybilt SRC with the winch plate. But I really want to keep my stock fogs in the are they are in which the Rugged Ridge has the cut outs already. I don't want the Olympic, because I helpped one of there sales/designers out with thier stubby and he was going to send me a hat and T shirt and never did, so I'm not buying anything from them. Well back to the cataloges. LOL rupe

FshTaco99

Adventurer
...Poison Spyder front and rear stinger and you'd be the MAN! The poop closets at construction sites wouldn't know how to handle you!... Sorry, remember the -25 age group occupy themselves other ways.

Rupe

Adventurer
FshTaco99 said:
...Poison Spyder front and rear stinger and you'd be the MAN! The poop closets at construction sites wouldn't know how to handle you!... Sorry, remember the -25 age group occupy themselves other ways.

HUH?????????????

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Well for what its worth here are some pictures of the bumper I had on my last JK. When I put one on the new JK I will probably end up with another Rugged Ridge stubby bumper but no stinger, maybe a winch hoop, maybe not. As long as it will fit the Smittybuilt winch (going budget here).

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears