How many have Stingers on the Front

Westy

Adventurer
Have you looked at the Shrockworks bumpers?
t_16215_01.jpg

Or Expedition One?
jkfb1.jpg

Rock Hard - http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/images/JK-FRONT/DSC08444.jpg

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
awesome bumpers.... just cost so much for the JK! The rugged ridge is $3XX and takes the stock fogs. There are some nice bumpers out there but you gotta have the $$$. Rugged Ridge released a front skid for the Rubicon models for the Electronic sway bar disconnect to complete it all now.

Rupe

Adventurer
I've heard good things about the Smittybilt winch, I'm going to get one if they keep thier prices down.
I agree the shrockworks is nice but costly.
I still really like the RRC's bumper with just the hoop. And if I really think I need a stinger I can put one on later. But I'm still not going to count the Smittybilt bumper out just yet. I just need the cash flow to pick up a bit. First thing I have to do is get some lower gears. The 4.10's are just not low enough, so I'm going to go with either 4.56's or 4.88's. Pulling the trailer over the pass would be alot less work for the engine with the lower gears and playing in the woods and rocks would be alittle easier with them too.

KSJeep

Explorer
Rupe,

May want to check with your local Fab guy, if you have one. Talk over what you want and need, come up with a design and you can prob have it built better and for less and anything you can get on line. Thats what I did, and am very pleased with the turn out.

Just an Idea.

BrandX

Adventurer
now dont be cofused by my previous post i do have one but it is so when i hit a deer it flings it of to the side.:oops:

Rupe

Adventurer
KSJeep said:
Rupe,

May want to check with your local Fab guy, if you have one. Talk over what you want and need, come up with a design and you can prob have it built better and for less and anything you can get on line. Thats what I did, and am very pleased with the turn out.

Just an Idea.

KSJeep, I am a fab. guy, but I don't have a garage anymore and my welder is in storage. Plus being gimped up right now I couldn't build it right now anyway. That is a good idea, but I don't know if it would be any cheaper now that price of steel is so high. But it gives me something to think about.

Rupe

Adventurer
BrandX said:
now dont be cofused by my previous post i do have one but it is so when i hit a deer it flings it of to the side.:oops:

HA ha ha, now there is a good reason to have one. Hum?

jagular7

Adventurer
There could be many 'excuses' for having a stinger front or rear, or for not having. There are plenty of pros and cons for every mod you can think about.

For the obvious of pros, many have been mentioned, same for cons. However, add this to the pro side: roll over protection for the hood/radiator (depending on design and terrain rolled over in) and a potential way of lifting something heavy and to pull it out of the way (ie. tow truck) or change a tire on another vehicle.

2drx4

Adventurer
jagular7 said:
For the obvious of pros, many have been mentioned, same for cons. However, add this to the pro side: roll over protection for the hood/radiator (depending on design and terrain rolled over in) and a potential way of lifting something heavy and to pull it out of the way (ie. tow truck) or change a tire on another vehicle.

The way most people build stingers, they do little in a roll-over for protecting the engine. Typically they are not supported enough and just bend over, absorbing a little impact and not much else. On a tube buggy, or if braced into tube fenders and such, it might actually make a difference.

Honestly, I think a 'bull bar' type setup is a lot more practical. And if a guy was ever to go to australia, a stinger ain't legal (okay, so few of you are probably planning to do that, but I figured I'd toss it out there).

Rupe

Adventurer
You mean you don't have Roos up there in BC. They are all over down here!
:hehe:
I will more then likely put a stubby on it or the Smittybilt SCR. With the SB I would have a little fender protection but SB is coming out with tube fenders for the JK after the first of the year, that's what they told me in an Email anyway, so I'll have a little tougher fenders. Then I won't get the SCR bumper and go with a stubby. rupe

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ha.
There actually is a kangaroo sanctuary near here now; we passed through it on the way to our favorite camping spot on Saturday.
Who'd a-thunk-it?
I'll have to go back and take some pictures --- no stinger, btw...

Rupe

Adventurer
Hilldweller said:
Ha.
There actually is a kangaroo sanctuary near here now; we passed through it on the way to our favorite camping spot on Saturday.
Who'd a-thunk-it?
I'll have to go back and take some pictures --- no stinger, btw...

Well that joke didn't work out very well. :(

walker71

A stinger may not be much use on an expedition rig that keeps to back roads and rough trails, other than the potential for an animal strike. Most places I go there are always "safer routes" than up or down a very steep incline, but I like the challenge. For a rock crawling rig I find it's use no different than a roll-cage, something you hope to never use, and if you need it you are glad it is there! I think it all depends on where you wheel, but on some of the trails I run, I am glad to have one.

JKFrontBumper019.jpg

PA190181.jpg

Mayne

Explorer
Sorry to hear your too gimped to fab... I built a set of 2x5 1/4wall bumps for the TJ for less than 500. thats with swing out. 150 to 200 was bought pre machined stuff, as I don't have a mill or lathe.(sp?) Heck I think 50 of that was shipping heavy parts. I'll get some pics up sometime. They aren't perfection but they look good, and function as desired.

Mayne

SixLug

Explorer
One excellent reason to get one is if you want to drive in Antarctica...ha ha. For real though, I watched a special on Discovery years ago (and cant ever find info on it unfortunately) and they used some heavily modded FJ80s with large flotation type tires (think Icelandic 4x4's) but they had stingers on the front bumpers. The reason....so that if they were driving across huge cracks in the ice, on purpose or unexpectedly, the stinger could catch the front end of the rig from falling down into the crack...it would hit the opposite side ice wall. I thought that was pretty bada**. So it CAN be a good mod, but do you need it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle